"guns Don't Kill People....people Do."

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Beastdriver, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Bogart: Congratulations! You got an entire paragraph finished without a single mispelled or misused word. There is hope!

2. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Do they still have cannibals in New Zealand??

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Gooooood Grief !!!!

4. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Ben: No cannibals in New Zealand but they do have people who are man enough to address issues on this site instead of private e-mails but, of course, you would not know about that.

5. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Beast Driver, don't you real think the best way to handle a personal problem is by private mail?
    Because I wrote you personlly you question my manhood. You posted you ideas on a terrible event, and voiced your opinion on gun control. Several disagreed with you and for that you call them names. You do a great job of tiring to ridicule people who disagree with you. You and I had a diagreement some time ago and you have been nit picking ever since.
    I can not help but wonder what kind of man you are face to face, when you can not hide behind the screen.

6. bigredoes

bigredoes
    Expand Collapse

Actually 'all knowing one' you misspelled the word misspelled......tsk tsk must be tiring trying to be perfect....

7. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Apr 20 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]6884[/snapback]

Bogart: Congratulations! You got an entire paragraph finished without a single mispelled or misused word. There is hope!

This guy Beastdriver reminds me of a politician who runs around trying to tell everyone else how to do whatever and can't get his act together himself. That is the problem in society today. Many cannot see the forest for the trees, and in fact try to confuse every issue so that it makes them look like they know the answer to everything. Many just end up showing their ignorance as a result. They trip over their lips....when they stoop to sarchism.

"but what can I say"?

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Big Ben: As I said to you in my response to your pathetic private e-mail, I refuse to get involved in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Big Red: Actually mispelled is correct. There are two Webster-accepted ways of spelling this word.

Bogart: You are getting much, much better. This time an even longer paragraph without a mispelled or misused word. Maybe you can work your way up to two or three paragraphs.

I'm off to New Zealand in a couple of hours so I won't have the pleasure of parrying with you posters for a few weeks. I will miss it!

9. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Apr 21 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]6895[/snapback]

Big Ben: As I said to you in my response to your pathetic private e-mail, I refuse to get involved in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Big Red: Actually mispelled is correct. There are two Webster-accepted ways of spelling this word.

Bogart: You are getting much, much better. This time an even longer paragraph without a mispelled or misused word. Maybe you can work your way up to two or three paragraphs.

I'm off to New Zealand in a couple of hours so I won't have the pleasure of parrying with you posters for a few weeks. I will miss it!

Good riddance..."but what can I say"

10. bigredoes

bigredoes
    Expand Collapse

Nice try Beast...... but just cuz you sez it - don't make it true......there is only ONE spelling for misspelled and it ain't how you be doin it....... hope you have a nice restful and long holiday in New Zealand but please don't leave us too long tho not sure we will survive too long here without your knowledge and expertise....

11. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

I try and not get caught up in this kind of debate but I guess it's one of those subjects that touches everyone in one way or another. I don't post allot so Beastdriver you won't have to look real hard to find my stuff to try and throw n my face and really my spelling does leave allot to be desired but I think you'll get my point. I have read allot of the posts by most of the regulars like Cheryl and Ben and WolfPack and others. I don't always agree with everyone but I do respect them and their opinions, I don't go on a personal attack. These are good honest people just stating their opinion. Here are my credentials, I am a natural born American who enjoys all the rights everyone who has died in wars making sure I have. Think of all the countless people that have given their lives so you can stand up on your soap box and run your mouth and not have anyone arrest you for speaking your opinion, which happens to be another right. Don't go trying to give away my rights like so many polliticians because you think you are right. There was nothing that was going to stop that guy at VT or anywhere else for that matter. Feel sadnees, feel pain or anger. If you feel like you would be safer in another country please pack up your motor home and have it shipped somewhere else and go, which happens to be another freedom you can use. Everyone else, I enjoy reading your respecful comments and opinions. Those of you who are law enforcment or firefighter's, thank you for protecting me and my family, everyone else thank you for watching out for me and my friends and family when we are in an RV park or traveling.

As always just my opinion

12. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

The incident at VT reminds me of how our society as a whole is going. Political correctness has as much to blame in this incident as anything else. While I agree that handguns are a serious problem in our society, I also agree with other posters that the criminals will get the handguns even if gun laws are stricter than they are now. Just as the right to freedom of speach has been brought up in this post so has the right to bear arms. Our freedoms in this country are unique to this country and is what make this country special. I stayed out of this debate for a while to see what others posted. The verbage used in this thread relates to the rights of free speach. On a topic such as this, we are all going to have different opinions and that is what makes this forum unique. If the politicians take away my right to bear arms, which freedom will be next? We have to remember that the situation at VT was a horrible incident that was the first of its kind in our nation. Hopefully we will figure out the cause to prevent it from happening again instead of blaming the method. Just my two cents.

13. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

Mastercraft,

Very well put. Thank you,

14. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Here's my two cents on this subject...I don't think any type of tougher gun laws would have stopped this man from doing what he did. If he would not have been able to get the guns legally, he would have gotten them illegally. But, I do have to say, I never knew someone who was not legally a citizen of this country was even allowed to purchase a weapon in this country.

15. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

rodman> Wished I had said that.

16. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Okay guys, how about a big group hug and then we move on, okay??? This has proven to be a very controversial subject and I think we need to move past it and all try to respect each other's opinions and exist in harmony here on the board. Beastdriver, even though your son is an adult and a professor, I know that you must have experienced great worry and anxiety knowing he was on that campus and in harm's way. I am so happy for you, that he did not sustain any physical harm on that awful day. I think that maybe the fact that your son was in harm's way made this so much more personal for you and you took great umbrage at some of the posts here. It was obvious from your original post, that you felt passionately about this. I am not speaking out against you or anyone else on this forum, but I will say that I think Big Ben did the right thing in trying to communicate with you regarding this issue out of the public eye. I don't know what was said in those pm's nor do I want to know, but I do honestly think he was trying to bring peace back to the group. Rodman, I think your post was very well put and it did give me something to think about - I always thank military personnel when I see them in uniform - seems it is usually in the airport but I have seen them at other places also. I will now begin to do the same with firefighters and police officers. Thanks for calling that to mind. We have had some topics here that have the tendency to get "out of hand" and I really do try to stay away from them. Yes, I did get caught up in one recently when I felt that my son was being attacked but that was just the "mama hen" coming out in me. Each and every one here has so much to contribute, and I hope we can move past this and be a lot kinder to each other. I realize that I am going to incur some negative posts in response to this, but I really think it needed to be said. Lately, there have been days that I don't even come to the forum because I just know there is going to be more bickering and I have enough drama going on in my life with adding some that I don't have to. Okay, I realize a [​IMG] is unlikey, but how about a few :D 's????

17. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I know let's all get in a circle, join hands and sing "Kumbaya"! :D

I think this was a great topic to talk about...how boring the world would be if no controversy existed and everyone had the exact same thoughts and opinions.

I don't like the personal attacks on people, but then again, I can always ignore them.

I think it's better to talk about issues such as this than keep them bottled up inside...and this is "General Chat"...can't see why this topic can't be discussed here among adults.

18. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

Very well put Cheryl. I meant what I said about the people here. They all for the most part are good people. I know everyone here would defend each other anywhere they happen to be. It's hard not to take a subject like personal, it affects all of us, after all these freedom's are something worth fighting for, American's for generations have thought so and fought for them we are just keeping up the fight, even if just the pen.

Just my opinion

19. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

This is true, check it out. www.SNOPES.com
    Type in : Australian Gun Law

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,

Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent ;

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.

(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns" You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late!

20. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

The Washington Post a couple years ago had an article saying they could not figure out why the crime rate in Montgomery COunty MD was so much higher than in Fairfax County VA. There was similar demographics and income and resources spent on policing. Well the difference is gun laws. MD restricts them and VA lets it citizens owna nd carry them. I have interviewed and talked with people who have committed crimes and there comments have usually run the range of they kill you in VA to a cop will arrest you but a homeowner will shoot you. Yes guns in principle deter crime as well as being used in crimes. There is a sheriff in PA who is holding classes for all the business owners in his town to get them trained to be able to carry a concelled weapon becase he says the police can not protect you. It takes a few mins for them to arrive and by that time yo may be dead or dying. It takes seconds and if you can not fight back you are at the mercy of the crack head or who ever wants what you have. I will say that if you do not want to own or carry a gun that is fine. I respect that but look at the statistics in AUS. and see that criminals will always fine a way to get them and if they think you are armed (many RVers are and that gives a crimial pause) even if you are not then you are safer too.