Help Needed - Campground Must Haves From Rv'ers Point Of View

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CSolo42, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi CSolo42,

Friendly, prompt service.

A fire ring or at least a brazier for briquettes.

A picnic table which includes a switched site light.

Trees between sites for privacy.

A spoke and hub arrangement that is pull through capable.

Electrical pedestals that have a night light so the client can see which plug to use. 20, 30, and 50 amp capable.

Bathhouses that are well lighted and are so clean you could eat off the floor.

Well lit easy to read site numbers.

A map of the campsite, which includes some community highlights--such as the nearest restaurant, nearest fuel stop, and nearest grocery store as well as points of interest.

Wifi.

"All in" pricing so there are no "surprizes".

NO SPEED BUMPS!!!!!

2. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

It sounds like the infastructure is already in place with a 2009 opening, so major changes probably can't be made. I second the no speed bump quote!!! I would suggest a shuttle service to the other attractions, since this sounds like a major entertainment complex, not really a campground or RV resort. The pet area is a good idea, and be sure trash disposal is somewhat handy. We don't like to have to load the trash in the car and drive to a dumpster, keep them available every couple of hundred yards. Sounds like an interesting place. Good luck.

3. languiduck

languiduck
    Expand Collapse

I guess you are catering to a different type of camper than what I want, which I guess is why I stay at good state parks when I can. I like to see these things:

-Fire ring at the site with a vertically adjustable grate to cook on and have personal camp fire. I don't necessarily want to go to a community camp fire every night.
    -pull through sites
    -no stupid speed bumps
    -no pets or at least a strict rule on pets and barking, I hate listening to yap-yap dogs all day and night ( ya, I know, seems like half of the campers have pets)
    -either trash pick up or several convienent dumpsters
    -a nicely stocked camp store if it is a private CG
    -and it is nice when there is a lot of area information right here at check-in
    -firewood available for purchase
    -lots of kid's activities
    -no extra charges for children
    -wi-fi
    -I don't care about cable, I say don't offer it, make people come out of thier campers

4. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(languiduck @ Oct 24 2009, 12:15 AM) [snapback]19720[/snapback]

I guess you are catering to a different type of camper than what I want, which I guess is why I stay at good state parks when I can. I like to see these things:

-Fire ring at the site with a vertically adjustable grate to cook on and have personal camp fire. I don't necessarily want to go to a community camp fire every night.
    -pull through sites
    -no stupid speed bumps
    -no pets or at least a strict rule on pets and barking, I hate listening to yap-yap dogs all day and night ( ya, I know, seems like half of the campers have pets)
    -either trash pick up or several convienent dumpsters
    -a nicely stocked camp store if it is a private CG
    -and it is nice when there is a lot of area information right here at check-in
    -firewood available for purchase
    -lots of kid's activities
    -no extra charges for children
    -wi-fi
    -I don't care about cable, I say don't offer it, make people come out of thier campers

This in an interesting perspective from another point of view. I think I read in an earlier thread that you have a pop-up and a tent. Thus, I can understand a few of your requests. However, the OP stated that there would be no tents at her place (no mention of popups) and the needs/requirements of folks who have Class C's and A's in particular will generally vary from yours. Your estimate of 1/2 of the people having pets is probably off by about 25-30% or more for those having A's and C's and particularly those of us who are further along in our lives than you (although I'd love to trade ages!!!). Many also don't want to get out of the RVs as that IS their home and they are more comfortable there.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now. The difference between a "camper" and a "RVer" is night and day. I feel a camper is one who uses nothing at all and sleeps under the stars (although a tent would be the modern day version) and a RVer is one who has at least some modern conveniences in a mobile vehicle. Boondockers would be the closest to camping for the mobile crowd. I don't camp. I move my "mobile" home from place to place and enjoy the local area. I did camp once, but I got older, lazier, and enjoy more of the modern comforts.

I did enjoy reading you perspective, however.

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

6. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

Here is a list of things that most campers would like:
    1. Friendly, knowledgeable staff.
    2. Level sites with grass - not dirt and mud
    3. Fire rings
    4. Electric & Water
    5. Clean spacious bathhouses
    6. Playground
    7. Basketball goal
    8. Hiking Trails
    9. Firewood sales
    10. Nicely stocked CG store with ice available
    11. More than 1 dumpstation at larger CG's
    12. Map of CG
    13. More than 10' of space between units
    14. Well thought out drainage of the CG in the event of a downpour - nothing worse than sitting in 2" or more of water right after a summer rain storm!!
    15. No extra charge for more than 2 people
    16. No hidden fees once you get to the CG - I hate those!
    17. Wi-Fi that one can actually use at your site and not at the office!
    18. Cable TV with more than 4 or 5 channels
    19. Pool
    20. Host/Hostess that actually will drive/walk around and talk to the people camping there and make people adhere to the CG rules.

We dont camp in CG's such as the one you are describing, and we tend to stay more at the State/Federal CG's. This one sounds like it would be way too loud too late for us!! And probably way too expensive!!
    Good luck with it and I wish you well!

7. languiduck

languiduck
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Oct 24 2009, 10:36 AM) [snapback]19725[/snapback]

This in an interesting perspective from another point of view. I think I read in an earlier thread that you have a pop-up and a tent.

That's a nice reply. :D You are correct, I did have a pop up, earlier this year I sold it and got a TT though. I went to the dark side (and I love it). I do still tent when it's just me. But thanks for pointing out that the OP stated the CG wouldn't have tents or pop ups, that sheds some light on the subject; I overlooked that part of the post. Nothing wrong at all with catering to a specific group and that kind of makes my suggestions not applicable then.

8. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(languiduck @ Oct 24 2009, 06:57 PM) [snapback]19730[/snapback]

That's a nice reply. :D You are correct, I did have a pop up, earlier this year I sold it and got a TT though. I went to the dark side (and I love it). I do still tent when it's just me. But thanks for pointing out that the OP stated the CG wouldn't have tents or pop ups, that sheds some light on the subject; I overlooked that part of the post. Nothing wrong at all with catering to a specific group and that kind of makes my suggestions not applicable then.

It's rare that I get complimented on this forum, so thank you. I still think that several of your recommendations will apply, whether one tents or has a Marathon.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

It sounds to me like there is a big entertainment complex going in somewhere that has all the features that the OP listed in his first post. And it sounds like that the RV park is being added to provide lodging for those who want to travel there in an RV. I am guessing there are other lodging venues as well, and I think all the other stuff will be there whether there is an RV park or not. Also I don't think all this other stuff will be located right in the RV park. In fact it sounds like RV park will be located inside this larger entertainment complex. In other words the RV park is probably not the sole reason for going to this place. People will go there mainly for the entertainment and some will stay at the RV park.

If I am correct this will greatly influence what the RV park will be like. It will be a place where people will sleep at night, but they will spend most of their time in the entertainment areas. I hope this is not a "parking lot" situation, but I am guessing that the developers are also not looking to provide a "camping in the wilderness" experience. A lot of the features of the RV park may already be set in stone, but hopefully many of our suggestions can still be incorporated.

Again I could be way off base here, but this is what the situation sounds like to me, and I wish the OP good luck.