Help With Rv Camp Sites! West Coast-usa

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Fufu12, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Fufu12

Fufu12
    Expand Collapse

We will be flying out front Los Angeles

Spending 2 days there

Will confirm once we book Yosemite for the rest of trip

Your info is much help thanks

Oh no :(

And if we book mammoth can we still visit Yosemite over the 2 days

What would you suggest

We currently stuck here and need to book urgently like in today

2. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fufu12 @ Apr 21 2012, 07:40 PM) [snapback]29331[/snapback]

Day 9
    Looking for shortest scenic route???
    From LV to Mammoth
    Mammoth lake or twin lake
    1 night stay over
    Day 10 & 11

When I drove this route, I just followed the suggestion from my GPS. I took 395 from Maommoth Lakes to Big Pine, then 168 to 95, and then south to Vegas. Also what maps.google.com suggest. You should of course do it in the opposite direction.

It wasn't scenic in my opinion, but there's not a lot of options.

There was a couple of tight winding roads on the 168, but they were doable in a 30 feet motorhome.

Oh, and Venetian is also a good choice. I haven't stayed there, but it looks very nice.

3. Fufu12

Fufu12
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for all the questions

We see that there's availability at High Sierra RV & Mobile Park

Do you suggest this?

4. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fufu12 @ Apr 21 2012, 07:52 PM) [snapback]29333[/snapback]

Oh no :(

And if we book mammoth can we still visit Yosemite over the 2 days

What would you suggest

We currently stuck here and need to book urgently like in today

Take a look at the Mono Vista RV Park in Lee Vining here: http://campgroundreviews.com/regions/California/Lee_Vining.html
    I dont know it, but it seems to get good reviews.

I would suggest booking to nights there.

So you would use one day driving from Las Vegas to Lee Vining. And then stay there.

Next day, you could spend the entire day driving the Tioga Road from Lee Vining, as far as you want, and then back to Lee Vining again. Maybe you could drive all the way to Yosemite Valley, it depends on how many photostops you make.

QUOTE(Fufu12 @ Apr 21 2012, 08:00 PM) [snapback]29335[/snapback]

Sorry for all the questions

We see that there's availability at High Sierra RV & Mobile Park

Do you suggest this?

That's another option. You could stay one night at Lee Vining. Next day drive Tioga Road and see Yosemite Valley, and then stay at High Sierra RV & Mobile Park. And next day drive to Lake Tahoe.

This way you don't have to Drive Tioga Road back and forth. So you'll have more time to see other parts of Yosemite. That's probably better than staying to nights in Lee Vining. Even if the drive from High Sierra RV & Mobile Park to Lake Tahoe is then longer than from Lee Vining to Lake Tahoe.

Or if you have enough time, you could even book two days at High Sierra RV & Mobile Park, in order to have one more day at Yosemite. But I lost track of how many days you have left :)

At Lake Tahoe I have once made a note to myself that http://www.zephyrcove.com could be a good option. I haven't stayed there yet myself.

5. Fufu12

Fufu12
    Expand Collapse

Oh thank you

I've been sitting and waiting for your reply :D

Okay so we going to rather book

Day 9
    Lee vining
    Mono lake rv campgound arriving at 4pm possibly booked now

Day 10
    Drive tioga road
    Visit Yosemite site
    Arrive in lake tahoe

Day 11
    Still to confirm

Unfortunately we don't have enough time to stay over at oak hurst

Not sure if the drive from there to lake Tahoe is longer than the drive fron vinning

We just quickly checking 2 options

Drive 395 from lee vining to lake Tahoe

Then to San francisco

Or

Lee vinning to 108 highway
    Stanislaus national forest
    Stay over 1 night

Then to San Francisco

Your advise will be much appreciated

6. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fufu12 @ Apr 21 2012, 08:56 PM) [snapback]29337[/snapback]

Day 9
    Lee vining
    Mono lake rv campgound arriving at 4pm possibly booked now

Day 10
    Drive tioga road
    Visit Yosemite site
    Arrive in lake tahoe

Well I guess it's doable, but it wont give you a lot of time in Yosemite.

I'm not sure what the best route is. Either Lee Vining, Tioga Road to the valley and back to Lee Vining and then north to Lake Tahoe Or Just go from Lee Vining thru Tioga Road to the Valley, and then 108 to Lake Tahoe. According to Google Maps there's not much difference, but I don't how it is out there in the real world.

But no matter what, it's going to be a long day, and you wont have a lot of time to actually see the park. You have to remember that the driving time you get from Google Maps are going to be longer in real life. First of all, you are driving an RV, and it just takes a little longer than a normal car. Especially in mountain areas like this. Secondly, this is a very popular national park. There's going to be lots of people, so you have to expect that traffic dosn't always move.

Again, It's propably doable, but you wont have time to really experience the place, and spend time taking those really good photographs.

I'm still a little confused. Aren't you moving forward to fast? If you arrive at Lake Tahoe at day 10, what are you going to do the remaining days? Aren't you ending up in L.A. to early?

7. Fufu12

Fufu12
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a mill Jensb

We have just looked for Yosemite and all the parks inside are fully booked :(

We will try for the first come first serve parks when we get there

Yes just did our trip map and date and thought that because we will be driving down the west coast we would like some extra days to relax and enjoy the beaches before heading back home and not rushed

But we now staying 3 night at Yosemite and skipping lake Tahoe

We will then drive straight to San Francisco

Then down on HW 1
    Then LA
    Ontario
    Then home

8. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

9. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fufu12 @ Apr 22 2012, 12:24 AM) [snapback]29339[/snapback]

Thanks a mill Jensb

We have just looked for Yosemite and all the parks inside are fully booked :(

We will try for the first come first serve parks when we get there

Yes just did our trip map and date and thought that because we will be driving down the west coast we would like some extra days to relax and enjoy the beaches before heading back home and not rushed

Sounds like a good idea. Lake Tahoe is wonderful, but not if it means that you don't have time to enjoy Yosemite. The most difficult part of planning a road trip in the West, is to limit yourself from seeing everything. But it makes it a better vacation, if you don't try to accomplish to much.

Having good time for the trip down the coast is also a good idea. It is a camping trip, so you should also have time to enjoy campinglife.

Enjoy your trip, and maybe update this thread with some pictures after your trip.

10. Fufu12

Fufu12
    Expand Collapse

Hi

Yes I will

Thanks for the advice really helped us :D

Does someone know of a good Rv park to sleep over in Monterey and Santa Barbra that's close to public transport for us to site see the cities

11. walt66

walt66
    Expand Collapse

sounds like a nice trip, Before you get started please make sure you are VERY familiar with the systems in the RV, how to put water onboard, how to dump tanks, is there a separate valve for black and gray. Where is your propane shut off. How to use the thermostat. How to set the fridge temps and to switch between modes ( gas or electric) Does the coach have air suspension ? If so how to kneel the coach and set the jacks. I only add this because one year we were at the Grand Canyon in late October. A couple from Holland parked next to us. We watched them for about 1/2 hour trying to get set up. They had rented there class C from one of the large rental companies and had no idea how to use any of the systems. I took an hour or more ( a few translation problems ) and walked them thru their unit. Then we enjoyed a nice glass of merlot in their rig. The translation problem was neither of them spoke English. The wife spoke German so I was able to tell her what was needed and she in turn explained to her husband in Dutch. :D
    Walt and Judy
    fulltiming for 10 years this month.