How Much Does It Cost

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by benshoort, Jan 2, 2009.

1. benshoort

benshoort
    Expand Collapse

Hi I am very new to rv's; so new that I do not even own one yet but thinking very serious about it. I am wanting to purchase a new travel trailer to take with me next year for my job; my number one question is how much will it cost me to stay at a park or campground? I will be working in AL, GA, KY area. WOuld it be cheaper to maybe just stay in a hotel? Any help would be very very helpful in making my decision..thank you all for any input..

2. Starhikers

Starhikers
    Expand Collapse

It costs anywhere from 15-50 bucks most being in the 30's range. It may be cheaper if you stay at higher priced hotels. The really nice thing about taking your own rig, is that you get to take everything you want/need with you and don't have to lug it in and out of a hotel room. And you know it's cleanliness, which is important to me. You can fix meals and save eating out. I saved a ton of money this way. I have a motor home, so I don't know about TT's but it allows me to travel in my home which is very appealing. There is going to be maintenance involved though, and the extra gas to tow the vehicle, so be sure to figure that in. Good Luck!

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Being able to cook our own meals is a huge plus also. Staying in your own camper with your own stuff is better than living at the Ritz.

4. dancyn

dancyn
    Expand Collapse

The longer you stay in an RV park, the better your chances of reducing the costs. Most parks offer an extended stay rate for stays of 30 days or more. This can reduce your costs to $10 to $15 per day.

5. ftcjim

ftcjim
    Expand Collapse

Been there--done that.
    Trust me, go with the RV. Its much nicer to have your own RV with more comfortable suroundings. I agree with some of the other answers so far. You really will save allot of money over a motel and even more with your own kitchen.

6. benshoort

benshoort
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys this really helped, I think I have found a TT that fits my need; Its a starcraft 2500rks; my friend has it priced at 10000, you guys know much about that kind of TT, its nice with a small slideout as well, thanks again..

7. CDB

CDB
    Expand Collapse

The Starcraft sounds like a good choice. Some people mistakenly think that you need to spend a lot on a big rig. While that would be nice if you can afford it and plan to full time in it, I can understand. However, you can really spend as much or as little as you want.

One advantage that you will have with the smaller trailer is being able to get into some state and national park campgrounds that traditionaly have smaller sites, and lower nitely rates. I prefer those for the natural surroundings.

Christopher

8. benshoort

benshoort
    Expand Collapse

yea I think it will be good, should get quite a few years use out of it, I was kinda worried about the cost of everything comparing it to a motel or renting some cheap apartment somewhere but I think I am going with the TT; really some great advantages to it..

9. campingandtravels.blogspot.com

Hi,
    I echo what others said - there's nothing better than having the stuff you need/want with you (including a clean bathroom when you're rolling along the highway). You can pay anywhere from $0 - $100/night for camping, but generally it runs $20-$30/night. Big savings that you can bring your own food.

Happy Travels!
    Suzanne

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jan 3 2009, 01:29 PM) [snapback]14717[/snapback]

Staying in your own camper with your own stuff is better than living at the Ritz.

Agree. The hard part for a newbie will be to determine what "stuff" to pack the first time. :)

11. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(benshoort @ Jan 6 2009, 01:38 AM) [snapback]14739[/snapback]
    yea I think it will be good, should get quite a few years use out of it, I was kinda worried about the cost of everything comparing it to a motel or renting some cheap apartment somewhere but I think I am going with the TT; really some great advantages to it..

Hi welcome to the world of rving....Here's another site that will be of some help if you have any questions.....rv.net I have met alot of wonderful people both here and over at rv.net Good Luck

12. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Well your question is some what vague, in order to provide a constructive suggestion I should know what's your life stile.
    I know some people lives in trailers as a residence and commutes between there and work and this provides advantages and disadvantages.
    In order to make an educated decision first of all you have to consider the initial cost in buying a trailer/M. Home or TT, then consider whether you are an handy man or you have to depend from others, a rig is a nice place to stay but it needs some form of continuous maintenance and then, if it is your company that sends you all over the continent, what type of financial assistance do they provide you when you are off base ?
    Other thing to consider is if you are ready to live for several month or years in a box 10' x 30 or 50'?
    Furthermore, when you are away for a long period of time, are you going with the family/girlfriend etc.. or alone and if you do it with family or etc..., are they willing to live in a mobile unit ?
    I am making all these questions because there are a huge amount of people that buys mobile units in order to leave on it and after a year they realize that it is not their kind of life and have to sale every thing with big loss in order to go back to buy a house or...
    Before making this decision, look into this matter deeply and if possible rent one rig for a while and see if you are made for this kind of life.
    I have a 28 ' 5th. W. and I am happy to spend my winter vacations there but I like to think that I still have a house to go back at a certain time or when ever I wish too.
    Good luck
    Galli

13. sunbelt cupcake

sunbelt cupcake
    Expand Collapse

There are alot of really nice places in al and fl, the prices really depends on the amenties you are looking for such as cable, internet etc. The state parks are usually 25 dollars. We have a satelite dish and a wireless internet card so the state parks are great. We travel for business and have had problems with theft at hotels. Plus some hotels dont change bed spreads after each guest.

14. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

You may want to spend some money on a good mattress to sleep on. Depending on how the camper is setup, you may need to get a custom mattress. Sleeping on the standard foam camper "mattress" is fine for long weekends or even a week, but for months at a time? Something to think about.