How Often Do You Wash Your Rv?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by imagardener, Nov 20, 2011.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm with this person! However, one time I spent three days in Wyoming waiting out a tornado, and when I got to a park in Idaho, the check in staff took one look at my RV and politely said, "We DO allow you to wash RV's at this park....."

JJ

QUOTE(corinnelogan @ Dec 9 2011, 05:45 PM) [snapback]28390[/snapback]

You're supposed to wash your rig? :p :unsure: :p

Corinne

2. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

Not that anyone would care - but we took the new fifth wheel out for the first time last weekend. The last 1/2 mile into the campground was soft South Jersey sand, and it's been very dry this spring - so the rig got DUSTY. When we got home Sunday we washed the truck, the trailer, and my wife's van for good measure... She's talking about getting it profesionally waxed for me for Father's day though.

Washing's easy
    Waxing stinks.

3. Matt D

Matt D
    Expand Collapse

I wash our new 40' Class A. I wash based upon condition. Once, I washed it twice in one week. Ordinarily, I wait until it's kinda grimy before a wash.

The front get's a bath every day or so on the road. 20-30 minutes with a brush and a bucket perform wonders on the front.

Actually, I just washed it today at our campground in Boardman, OR.

I really dislike dirty vehicles.

-Matt

4. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

My 32ft. class A never leaves the drive way for a camping adventure with out being sparkling clean. Wax, twice a year with constant touch ups on the front to make Mr. Bug easier to remove.

5. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Matt D @ Apr 29 2012, 03:09 AM) [snapback]29405[/snapback]

I wash our new 40' Class A. I wash based upon condition. Once, I washed it twice in one week. Ordinarily, I wait until it's kinda grimy before a wash.

The front get's a bath every day or so on the road. 20-30 minutes with a brush and a bucket perform wonders on the front.

Actually, I just washed it today at our campground in Boardman, OR.

I really dislike dirty vehicles.

-Matt

I will submit there is not much else to do in Boardman than wash an RV tho...Just kidding, I have been to Boardman many times. The area is pretty nice.

6. WildRIDE

WildRIDE
    Expand Collapse

I just keep my RV clean most of the time to avoid washing because it consumes time and energy for general cleaning...

7. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I try to wash it every year, but am behind.

Actually I would wash it a lot more often if the self-service car washes were better designed for us. I like to wash my truck, then pull forward and wash the trailer afterward.

How often do you find a car wash that is too short for an RV, and the exit is impossible to navigate.
    Last month I saw one in Columbus NM, and said " that's how they should all be designed" with very high roof, and unobstructed exit with plenty of room. My luck, even though it looked fairly new, it was already out of business, with all the coin slots taped over!

Of course the Boy Scouts sometimes hold a fundraiser car wash- I've been tempted to pull in with my RV if I ever see one while towing :angry: . It would be a good cause. :)

8. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

" that's how they should all be designed" with very high roof, and unobstructed exit with plenty of room.

Have a good friend who owns several self service washes in some different states. When I complained to him about the scarcity of high roof bays to wash rvs he said that most had to be shut down. He said a few "bad apple" truck operators would wash heavy grease and oil into the drains causing major environmental issues for him. He also said in some areas where mudding, i.e driving raised vehicles through serious mud was popular, his high bay washes were used to wash the mud off, clogging drains and generally creating a huge mess. He also said that many times the high bay units would be used late at night to clean the inside of livestock trailers, again causing a huge clean up and environmental problem for him when discovered the next morning - of course the cameras would be disabled before the vehicle was pulled in. In general, he said that vehicles other than passenger cars and pick up trucks washed stuff off that cost him huge dollars to handle, and some of the people hired to manage the washes had serious physical confrontations with offenders when they were asked to leave. All the high bays in his washes have been closed down.

9. EngineerBoo

EngineerBoo
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ May 26 2012, 01:54 PM) [snapback]29592[/snapback]

Have a good friend who owns several self service washes in some different states. When I complained to him about the scarcity of high roof bays to wash rvs he said that most had to be shut down. He said a few "bad apple" truck operators would wash heavy grease and oil into the drains causing major environmental issues for him. He also said in some areas where mudding, i.e driving raised vehicles through serious mud was popular, his high bay washes were used to wash the mud off, clogging drains and generally creating a huge mess. He also said that many times the high bay units would be used late at night to clean the inside of livestock trailers, again causing a huge clean up and environmental problem for him when discovered the next morning - of course the cameras would be disabled before the vehicle was pulled in. In general, he said that vehicles other than passenger cars and pick up trucks washed stuff off that cost him huge dollars to handle, and some of the people hired to manage the washes had serious physical confrontations with offenders when they were asked to leave. All the high bays in his washes have been closed down.

Wow that's a shame that idiots have to ruin it for everybody else!

Our little 18-foot trailer is easy to wash but since we park it in an unpaved lot, it seems to always have a thin layer of dust on it when I pick it up for a trip.

Before we head out to the Rockies camping, I park it by the house and my wife will prep the inside and I'll wash the outside. I found a very long wash wand at WalMart that makes reaching the camper up high and the center of the roof when I stand on a ladder.

10. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

I started a quick wash on Monday after work. I scrubbed the roof with a gentle soap to avoid black streaks, then got the back and left sides of the 5er washed witha wash/wax, but ran out of daylight. It's since rained for 3 days, so the front and right side are still awaiting their turn. My plan is to let that hold me until Florida, and then give her a good wash and full wax upon my return from the long tirp. There'll be another wash/wax combo before Florida though.

11. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We have a 1989 32' motorhome. The graphics are pealing and faded and although I love the rig, I know it looks kida like a giant turd. I figure, what's the point in washing it, the graphics will just continue to peal and take the dirt with it!

Actually I do wash it once a year, after I take it out from it's winter rest, and I wash the front as needed for bugs.

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I've been behind...DW is making me pay more attention to our house then the trailer....still have the bugs stains from last months camping trip. Must get the trailer washed soon! Hopefully will have a camping trip coming up in July! B)

Mike