How to know how much I can tow?

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Chrisinhouston, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Chrisinhouston

Chrisinhouston
    Expand Collapse

Well this is my first question after my introduction post as a new member here.

I have a simple question; I own a 2017 Ford F150 with the 3.6 turbo engine and 10 speed transmission. The vehicle is a 4wd model and came with the full towing package, it has the 6 1/2 ft bed if that is relevant.

I found some Ford literature online that says that model has a Max tow weight if 12,200 lbs. The model my wife is interested it is a Jayco Jayfeather 21MLL which she says lists at just under 7000 lbs and is about 26 ft in length.

Would this be a good match for my vehicle and are there other numbers I should factor in? I'm totally new to RVs and what is required.

2. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Hi Chrisinhouston, first off Ford offers 2 different package. The first is the regular tow package and the max tow that you referred to. Rear end gear ratio will also affect tow capacity.Take your vin # to dealer and they will be able to tell you what package you have. Another number to consider is the payload capacity, I don’t know what your capacity is but let’s say that number is 1600#. Now you have to subtract the trailer hitch weight of approximately 800-900#, another 100# for the hitch, weight of the passengers and any other cargo. As you can see there is not much left. As for the trailer 7000# is almost a fictional number, by the time you add propane tanks, battery, any additional option and your personal effects that number climbs quickly. Any truck can tow but can it be safely?

3. Chrisinhouston

Chrisinhouston
    Expand Collapse

4. E&J push'n wind

E&J push'n wind
    Expand Collapse

Hello Chrisinhouston,

I'm familiar with the Jayco lineup, I peek in on them from time to time. Without actually going to their website, I suspect the TT model you are looking at has a GVWR of 7000 lbs. That said, you will probably be fine with the setup you are wanting. As Fun finders more or less said, there is a lot to take into account. Find out what the combined GVWR for your truck is, that is probably closer to what you need to be concerned with. As far as towing "safely." Take your time, don't be in a hurry, increase following distance and consider the other drivers around you don't care that you are towing. Not even a consideration or factor for them, you are just another "car on the road."

E&J push'n wind.

mdcamping likes this.