Is It Ok To Charge For Wifi

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by drmcleod, Jul 18, 2008.

?

Campground WiFi should:

1. be Free to entice more campers to the c/g

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. be Free in the more "deluxe" sites

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. be charged for on a per usage basis (recieve an access code at check in if paid for)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. be Charged for by an outside agency when loggin on

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. not be a part of the camping experience (leave your technology at home)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

There is no such thing as a free lunch - someone has to pay for it.

Very true and business has understood this for years. There is a competition for the consumer’s business and giving away something for “free” is a way that successful business have outdone their competition for years. I spent the $14 at Paneria Bread instead of their competitor down the street. Providing their “free to me” internet was a good marketing decision. We both won and the guy that lost was the guy down the street who didn’t get my business. This is multiplied numerous times every day and provides a boost to their business that is on top of their gross that has already covered their overhead. As a wise (and cheap) consumer, I search out the folks who give away “free to me” to patronize and spend my money. I have also invested my own money into ways to make this easier by buying a good WiFi detector and a good antenna.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lindsay,

You are *not* cheap--you are careful. That is different than cheap!

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 21 2009, 11:15 AM) [snapback]19093[/snapback]

Very true and business has understood this for years. There is a competition for the consumer’s business and giving away something for “free” is a way that successful business have outdone their competition for years. I spent the $14 at Paneria Bread instead of their competitor down the street. Providing their “free to me” internet was a good marketing decision. We both won and the guy that lost was the guy down the street who didn’t get my business. This is multiplied numerous times every day and provides a boost to their business that is on top of their gross that has already covered their overhead. As a wise (and cheap) consumer, I search out the folks who give away “free to me” to patronize and spend my money. I have also invested my own money into ways to make this easier by buying a good WiFi detector and a good antenna.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

You are *not* cheap--you are careful. That is different than cheap!

Believe me, I am thrifty. I actually considered getting satallite internet until I realized the cost. I am holding out for some new next technology that will replace everything and I can get the internet on my Dick Tracy video watch.

4. Aftica

Aftica
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Jul 18 2008, 05:18 PM) [snapback]12323[/snapback]

Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?

I would like to get other opinions on this.

My opinion is no! I have two reasons for this.

First, as a consumer. Having free internet access is actually one of the things I look for in a campground. It's a 'perk' if you will. If I have the choice between two, somewhat comparable, c/g's then I will choose the one with free WiFi. Heck, I'll even choose the one with free WiFi over one that is slightly nicer with fee for service.

Second, as a business owner (of which I am one). It does not cost more to allow the whole campground access to your broadband service. The only additional expense is the addition of the hardware. In some cases this might be more expensive if additional antennas are required and installation requires an expert. Also, a higher than basic internet subscription is needed. However, if the c/g is going to charge for its WiFi service, then all of this has to be done anyway. Therefore, consider it a marketing expense to drive more people to your c/g. Why do you think that places like Panera Bread and even McDonald's are offering free WiFi? I know I choose to eat there when I need a place to surf while I eat. In my case, I want more people to come to my place of business, so I make my wireless service available to all. It costs me no more, but brings more people to me.

What do you think?

I do tend to agree with you. At worst, build it into your price. The more that you can offer in one net net price the better IMHO.

What is VERY irritating is to find that "WiFi at site" is nonsense. How many of us have found that! We travel because I can stay in contact with the office. No WiFi = no business

5. jobob

jobob
    Expand Collapse

I can have a really good signal (now that I got my antenna fixed) then a big rig parks next to me and blocks it or some selfish individual decides to download movies. It isn't the parks fault when this happens. I don't think McDonalds or the other places that offer free WiFi have to contend with people watching movies, TV, streaming stock quotes or videos, downloading large files, using VOIP or other bandwidth hogging applications. I seriously doubt if they allow people to stay for hours and hours using their internet. If someone depends on WiFi to run a business or finds it absolutely essential to their happiness they need to have their own system and not depend on a free shared service. Shared systems are just that...shared. If everyone follows the rules it works well. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. I amazes me how many inconsiderate people there are. I've been an Rv'er for over 40 years and it never used to be that way.

6. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

. If someone depends on WiFi to run a business or finds it absolutely essential to their happiness they need to have their own system and not depend on a free shared service. Shared systems are just that...shared. If everyone follows the rules it works well. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. I amazes me how many inconsiderate people there are. I've been an Rv'er for over 40 years and it never used to be that way.

Good post jobob!! This is so true. If you HAVE to have good, secure service, then you best get your own and pay for it. Free shared service is NOT perfect because too many shelfish people abuse it. I'm amased at all the complaints I will get when EVERYONE in the park gets on at 8pm and the system slows down. (or on a rainy day). Either stop complaining or better yet, head out to McDonalds or Panera Bread like another mentioned.

7. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

The last two Micky D's I ate at both charged $4.95 for an hour of internet access. That really runs up the price of a "Royale with cheese".

8. Park Manager

Park Manager
    Expand Collapse

My thought is "no" - do not charge for wifi. However, if the park's internet service requires a code, I would wonder if a discount to a guest might be appropriate if they don't want the code to access . . . maybe $1 per day? Not everyone accesses the internet OR has their own access. The fewer people on the park system should mean less problems in connection speed. Why not give a discount to the non-user? Does anyone else do this?

9. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Jul 18 2008, 04:18 PM) [snapback]12323[/snapback]

Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?

I would like to get other opinions on this.

My opinion is no! I have two reasons for this.

First, as a consumer. Having free internet access is actually one of the things I look for in a campground. It's a 'perk' if you will. If I have the choice between two, somewhat comparable, c/g's then I will choose the one with free WiFi. Heck, I'll even choose the one with free WiFi over one that is slightly nicer with fee for service.

Second, as a business owner (of which I am one). It does not cost more to allow the whole campground access to your broadband service. The only additional expense is the addition of the hardware. In some cases this might be more expensive if additional antennas are required and installation requires an expert. Also, a higher than basic internet subscription is needed. However, if the c/g is going to charge for its WiFi service, then all of this has to be done anyway. Therefore, consider it a marketing expense to drive more people to your c/g. Why do you think that places like Panera Bread and even McDonald's are offering free WiFi? I know I choose to eat there when I need a place to surf while I eat. In my case, I want more people to come to my place of business, so I make my wireless service available to all. It costs me no more, but brings more people to me.

What do you think?

I AM NOT A CAMP OWNER !!!!
    Well, I am bivalent regarding your opinion for charging and not charging the internet facility at the camp.
    I have to recognize that I would not choose a camp without this facility but I could not expect that the cost of it be prorated to the rest of the campers.
    Internet is becoming an important tool like the telephone, camera, cars etc.. but it is not a feature that every one uses, therefore, yes, I insist to have the facility but I am ready to pay provided that it is a reasonable cost.
    Furthermore, as you mentioned in your message, in certain occasions, it will be very expensive for park owners to install towers and lines etc. and since it is not part of the purpose of the camp to excel in communication, I don’t see why it should be a free service there.
    In closing, in case of a luxury camp, yes, it should be free.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Interesting and suprising survery on RV'ers and computers.

My Webpage

11. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I've never used wifi at a CG before. I just got a Droid yesterday, and am at a CG where wifi is included. I connected to it, and it is ridiculously slow. I disconnected, and am really enjoying the 3G network instead. If you must have internet when you are at a CG because of work, don't rely on someone else's connection, bring your own.

12. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Nov 7 2009, 12:58 PM) [snapback]19935[/snapback]

Okay, I've never used wifi at a CG before. I just got a Droid yesterday, and am at a CG where wifi is included. I connected to it, and it is ridiculously slow. I disconnected, and am really enjoying the 3G network instead. If you must have internet when you are at a CG because of work, don't rely on someone else's connection, bring your own.

Well your proposal may be applicable for locals but, as an example, I am coming from Canada and it would be too expensive to contact my provider for the service.
    I am still of the opinion that, IF INTERNET SERVICE IS PROVIDED, it should be some thing accessible to every one and not to e selected people only.

13. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If you must have internet when you are at a CG because of work, don't rely on someone else's connection, bring your own.

You were unlucky the first time. If you surf and look at video's, I have found that WiFi is usually much quicker. Once again, get an antenna.

14. keoweerv

keoweerv
    Expand Collapse

I think it should be free

15. spinsister

spinsister
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Nov 7 2009, 02:58 PM) [snapback]19935[/snapback]

You are also lucky to be at a location where there is actually 3G service... Trust me 3G and even 2G is NOT available everywhere. When you're not in a 3G zone (depending on the network it can be as soon as you leave city limits! ATT!) your speeds are no better than dialup, I've seen worse.

16. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

It also depends to some degree upon what data service you choose. At this time Verizon has the best coverage with Sprint running close behind. AT&T is our cellular provider but I chose to get an air card for Verizon because they are just too far behind on coverage.

The other thing that we have found is that by using a cellular repeater it greatly extends the area where we can use both our Verizon data card and our AT&T cell phones when in rural areas.

17. 20andOut

20andOut
    Expand Collapse

Let me start my post with, I use a USB WiFi 1000mw amplifier with a 9dbi antenna on my laptop, also an antenna amplifier on my cell phone so I can access the internet while I am on the road or parked in a campground. One of the reasons I select a campground for an overnight or extended stay is if it has WiFi or not. Unfortunately, most times we are disappointed because the Wifi range is limited or not working.

A properly configured router using QoS can eliminate people from doing large downloads, this would eliminate people from abusing WiFi and allow everyone to use the system. The problem with most sites is that the people running the campground are relying on someone else to setup the Wifi that may not be familiar with advanced wireless configurations.

I don’t have a problem paying for internet but I resent paying for internet that has poor connectivity.

18. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(20andOut @ Dec 4 2009, 01:05 PM) [snapback]20219[/snapback]

Let me start my post with, I use a USB WiFi 1000mw amplifier with a 9dbi antenna on my laptop, also an antenna amplifier on my cell phone so I can access the internet while I am on the road or parked in a campground. One of the reasons I select a campground for an overnight or extended stay is if it has WiFi or not. Unfortunately, most times we are disappointed because the Wifi range is limited or not working.

A properly configured router using QoS can eliminate people from doing large downloads, this would eliminate people from abusing WiFi and allow everyone to use the system. The problem with most sites is that the people running the campground are relying on someone else to setup the Wifi that may not be familiar with advanced wireless configurations.

I don’t have a problem paying for internet but I resent paying for internet that has poor connectivity.

The only problem with rationing bandwidth is some people believe if they are connected to wifi, they should be able to do whatever they want or the system is bad. Read all the reviews that blast campground wifi systems for being slow, rationed or having limited bandwidth. It is impossible to please all people. If a campground configured their system to prevent large downloads you can bet that a review would soon appear here slamming the park for having a wfi system that is inadequate.

19. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

[/quote]If a campground configured their system to prevent large downloads you can bet that a review would soon appear here slamming the park for having a wfi system that is inadequate.

20. Lonesoldier

Lonesoldier
    Expand Collapse

Why is it called camping if you require WIFI? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: