I've Done This Before So Why Am I Scared?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Oct 13, 2007.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 16 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]8703[/snapback]

I couldn't find a review for this one anywhere but it might be worth looking into:

http://www.shadyelms.com/

I don't have any experience with it personally other than finding their website.

THANKS!!!! I wanted to stay at a regular RV Park, not a parking lot!

JJ

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Regarding the Shady Elms RV Park, I emailed a friend who lives in that area, and this is what I was told (Please excuse the ethnic/racial terms, I do not intend to be racist...)

[QUOTE FROM AN EMAIL I GOT] Safe is a relative term you know. There's a "detention center" down the road and while the area isn't ghetto, it isn't exactly Beverly Hills and there's a mixture of black, hispanic and redneck in the area. I haven't heard of any problems in the RV park, but then again, I haven't paid much attention to that. [END QUOTE FROM AN EMAIL]

Again, this is just what a friend told me, please excuse the ethnic remarks.

I may try it out.

JJ

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, here is another "take" on the area around Shady Elms, from the friend I'm actually going to visit:

"Here is what I know about the area where the Shady Elms is located. When I came to this area I stayed at the Best Western on Sierra Highway between K & J (closer to J) and I did not have any problem. The Shady Elms looks like a small place which is next to 2 motels. Train tracks are right across the street and I know from personal experience that there are times when freight trains run early in the morning. I've heard that on Sierra Highway, between L & M, it is considered to be an area where the street [*****] ply their trade. I've also heard that ex-cons and parolees stay at the motels in that area. In my opinion, you would be better off at the fair grounds, however, you might want to contact the Shady Elms to to find out what type of security system they might have, if any."

Ok, I guess I'll stay at the fairgrounds.....

JJ
    :unsure:

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Just bring a dog with you,----a BIG dog, or a gun, a BIG gun !! Just kidding, I would look elsewhere.

5. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Sorry that didn't work out.

That may account as to why there were no reviews of the place.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 18 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]8726[/snapback]

I just got an email from them. They are booked that week anyway. Just as well. Antelope Valley Fairgrounds RV park is "First come first serve," so I guess I takes my chances. Last resort is going to be the State Park near there, hope it has hookups!

JJ

7. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 18 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]8728[/snapback]

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 18 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]8726[/snapback]

I just got an email from them. They are booked that week anyway. Just as well. Antelope Valley Fairgrounds RV park is "First come first serve," so I guess I takes my chances. Last resort is going to be the State Park near there, hope it has hookups!

JJ

Don't know exactly where you "need" to be, but this is about 20 minutes south of Lancaster:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/California/Acton.html

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

9. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 19 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]8744[/snapback]

Don't know exactly where you "need" to be, but this is about 20 minutes south of Lancaster:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/California/Acton.html

My friend lives in Palmdale. I just "Mapquested" it, and that's even better!!!!! THANKS!!!!!

JJ

Great. Hope that works.

If you get lost on your way down the coast, just follow the smoke plumes.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

[/quote]
    If you get lost on your way down the coast, just follow the smoke plumes.
    [/quote]

Apparently so!!! Also, I'm hoping I can AVOID Los Angeles at all costs, I don't care how much I have to spend on gas, I do not want to go near LA. I hope I can program Magellan to say, "don't go near LA."

I have been spending my $50 at Safeway to rack up gas discounts, I have two so far. The Safeway gas discounts are more meaningful in an RV then they are in a car. But sometimes you have to press the key for "pay at window" otherwise you hit a "credit card limit" and you have to use two transactions to fill your RV. Whatever you do, you don't want to have to use TWO of your discounts for ONE fill up! That's a waste! I also have all the Costco's with gas stations mapped out.

I can't wait! I'm still nervous, but I can't wait! :D

JJ

11. Testudo

Testudo
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 17 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]8716[/snapback]

Ok, here is another "take" on the area around Shady Elms, from the friend I'm actually going to visit:

"Here is what I know about the area where the Shady Elms is located. When I came to this area I stayed at the Best Western on Sierra Highway between K & J (closer to J) and I did not have any problem. The Shady Elms looks like a small place which is next to 2 motels. Train tracks are right across the street and I know from personal experience that there are times when freight trains run early in the morning. I've heard that on Sierra Highway, between L & M, it is considered to be an area where the street [*****] ply their trade. I've also heard that ex-cons and parolees stay at the motels in that area. In my opinion, you would be better off at the fair grounds, however, you might want to contact the Shady Elms to to find out what type of security system they might have, if any."

Ok, I guess I'll stay at the fairgrounds.....

JJ
    :unsure:

While Internet RV Forums are great -- we all learn from each other. The downside is that a lot of overthinking goes on. I've camped all my life (all over the world) and nothing bad ever happened. Ironically, I was never worried until I started taking advantage of RV forums. Then there were no end to the people that would volunteer what could,no... what _would_ go wrong if you weren't armed to the teeth, etc., etc. Even I had to reign in the fears that were engenderd by this element. Once they get going, it can be difficult to put everything back in its proper persepctive. I'm wondering if this isn't the cause of your anxiety -- essentially too much 'thinking' about what could go wrong ???

I'm older than you but I feel like I could probably handle your rig on the trip that you've outlined. I wouldn't want to (I feel more secure with the size of my small pickup camper), but your RV doesn't seem as overwelming to me as most bigger rigs do. To put things in perspective, I don't worry about snowfall but rather I tend to have anxiety when I'm 30 miles off road and I'm wondering if I'm going to get stuck in the sand that I see up ahead.

The advantage you have is that you even have lots of experience (apparently) with your RV. The only other thing I can figure is that maybe something else that was central to your life has changed. While I feel quite adventurous going off road into the wilderness to camp, I don't think I could manage to go to a full service campground up the street if say, I lost my wife. She is a great source of security (as well as moments of anxiety [grin!]) to me.

So maybe you have been dwelling on too much information and maybe something has changed and you need to get a new perspective on it. Maybe you are even confusing excitement with anxiety.

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Testudo @ Nov 13 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]9121[/snapback]

While Internet RV Forums are great -- we all learn from each other. The downside is that a lot of overthinking goes on. I've camped all my life (all over the world) and nothing bad ever happened. Ironically, I was never worried until I started taking advantage of RV forums. Then there were no end to the people that would volunteer what could,no... what _would_ go wrong if you weren't armed to the teeth, etc., etc. Even I had to reign in the fears that were engenderd by this element. Once they get going, it can be difficult to put everything back in its proper persepctive. I'm wondering if this isn't the cause of your anxiety -- essentially too much 'thinking' about what could go wrong ???

I'm older than you but I feel like I could probably handle your rig on the trip that you've outlined. I wouldn't want to (I feel more secure with the size of my small pickup camper), but your RV doesn't seem as overwelming to me as most bigger rigs do. To put things in perspective, I don't worry about snowfall but rather I tend to have anxiety when I'm 30 miles off road and I'm wondering if I'm going to get stuck in the sand that I see up ahead.

The advantage you have is that you even have lots of experience (apparently) with your RV. The only other thing I can figure is that maybe something else that was central to your life has changed. While I feel quite adventurous going off road into the wilderness to camp, I don't think I could manage to go to a full service campground up the street if say, I lost my wife. She is a great source of security (as well as moments of anxiety [grin!]) to me.

So maybe you have been dwelling on too much information and maybe something has changed and you need to get a new perspective on it. Maybe you are even confusing excitement with anxiety.

Um.... does 4 years count as "lots" of experience? Also, the "I've done this before" part I am referring to is..... the four times I have driven across the country in a car due to job relocations. I was ok, I wasn't scared. However, driving from WA to CA in an RV has me somewhat anxious. Ok, something changed? Well, I'm older...... (almost 52), and this is a bigger vehicle..... and I have a pet with me......

You're right, I'm probably worked up over what....*could*... go wrong...... ESPECIALLY IN CALIFORNIA!!!! Too many freeways!

When I first started RV'ing, I would have a big panic attack before I took off for a trip in the RV. But once I got going, I was fine! I have kept all my trips to short distances (one state over or down, remember, I'm in the West, we have big states....). This will be my first time going two states down! And if this were the East, it would be the equivalent of FIVE states down.

two more days to go.....

JJ :ph34r:

13. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 14 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]9135[/snapback]

QUOTE(Testudo @ Nov 13 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]9121[/snapback]

Um.... does 4 years count as "lots" of experience? Also, the "I've done this before" part I am referring to is..... the four times I have driven across the country in a car due to job relocations. I was ok, I wasn't scared. However, driving from WA to CA in an RV has me somewhat anxious. Ok, something changed? Well, I'm older...... (almost 52), and this is a bigger vehicle..... and I have a pet with me......

You're right, I'm probably worked up over what....*could*... go wrong...... ESPECIALLY IN CALIFORNIA!!!! Too many freeways!

When I first started RV'ing, I would have a big panic attack before I took off for a trip in the RV. But once I got going, I was fine! I have kept all my trips to short distances (one state over or down, remember, I'm in the West, we have big states....). This will be my first time going two states down! And if this were the East, it would be the equivalent of FIVE states down.

two more days to go.....

JJ :ph34r:

Good Morning JJ,

I live in the central valley. You really won't have but a couple of freeways to deal with and they both are really not bad at all. You won't even get near Los Angels. We haven't seen but 1 day of very patchy fog but you will be on I-5 anyway, you won't be coming through here. The weather has been beautiful and since you will be out in the desert it will be very pretty for you there as well. My wife is from Lancaster and it's really not a bad place at all. You'll be going over Tehachapi and that is a very nice drive. I think you will really enjoy yourself. The desert can be very pretty this time of year. You can take I-5 all the way to Bakersfield and then over to 58 or you can take I-5 to Stockton and come across on 4 to 99. Either way isn't going to be bad. Relax, take you time and enjoy yourself. BTW, I've made the drive you are about to take, Ca to Wa and back.

Just my opinion,
    Have a wonderful time

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Boy, Testudo's post hit me like a ton of bricks, but it worked! I "reframed" it and IT'S JUST ANOTHER RV TRIP!!!! So, now I'm excited and can't wait (two more days to go, leaving Friday!!!).

Rodman, thanks also for your post. Although it's 70 degrees in southern CA (from NOAA weather site), I have also RV'd in sub freezing weather (three weeks in 2005! That was a royal pain!!! Temps were between 10 and 20!!!) so I know how to handle that, should I encounter it.

On the other hand, I only have ONE NIGHT of experience in SUB ZERO! I did that in my first RV, and that RV didn't have the "Arctic Package." It was minus 2. At the time I did that, my RV had been "winterized" so I couldn't use the toilet. And when you have to go to the restroom at 3:00 in the morning, which means, you have to go outside and use the campground facilities, and put a scarf over your mouth...... Um, I don't want to do that again. The Arctic Package is nice!!!! If anyone plans to RV in cold weather, spend the bucks for the Arctic Package.

JJ

15. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

I am happy that you took Testudo's post and came away with a positive result. I also thought from most of your numerous posts in this and several other threads that you had a problem with anxiety. I just figured that it has always been part of your personality and any comments that area would be taken negatively.

I do want to add another comment. In many of your posts, you talk about googling this and mapquesting that, etc. As wonderful as the internet is, you may want to use "real" paper maps to familiarize yourself with an area or route before turning to the web. For example, doing so may have prevented all your worries about LA traffic.

Again, happy Turkey Day.

Jerry S.

16. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

DSXMac,

I've been following your posts, and since it is almost time for you to head out I just wanted to say, "Have a great trip." You sound like you are very prepared so things should go smoothly. If by chance something does go wrong try not to let it upset you. Everything can be fixed one way or another. Just do what you can and take it in stride and you'll be fine. When we first started RVing I was very anxious and worried way too much about what "might" happen. I would spend weeks preparing and planning for all the possible bad scenarios. Fortunately we have never had any major trouble. To be truthful I still do a lot of planning (because I like to), but I do not feel anxious anymore--just excited. Of course we have had some things go wrong and have encountered a delay or two. But plans are not carved in stone. They can be changed--sometimes for the better. And just think, once you get this trip behind you you will feel much better about future ones.

Again enjoy your great adventure!

BTW I also wanted to say I really like the picture you have added to your posts. What a precious little face! I know you will take good care of your little one on the trip.

17. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 14 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]9138[/snapback]

On the other hand, I only have ONE NIGHT of experience in SUB ZERO! I did that in my first RV, and that RV didn't have the "Arctic Package." It was minus 2. At the time I did that, my RV had been "winterized" so I couldn't use the toilet. And when you have to go to the restroom at 3:00 in the morning, which means, you have to go outside and use the campground facilities, and put a scarf over your mouth...... Um, I don't want to do that again. The Arctic Package is nice!!!! If anyone plans to RV in cold weather, spend the bucks for the Arctic Package.

JJ

Of course, I've been to campgrounds where you needed to put the scarf over your nose when you used their bathrooms :blink:

18. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Nov 15 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]9144[/snapback]

JJ,

I am happy that you took Testudo's post and came away with a positive result. I also thought from most of your numerous posts in this and several other threads that you had a problem with anxiety. I just figured that it has always been part of your personality and any comments that area would be taken negatively.

I do want to add another comment. In many of your posts, you talk about googling this and mapquesting that, etc. As wonderful as the internet is, you may want to use "real" paper maps to familiarize yourself with an area or route before turning to the web. For example, doing so may have prevented all your worries about LA traffic.

Again, happy Turkey Day.

Jerry S.

Thanks, Jerry. Um, yes, I do carry AAA motor club maps. And I do have a Magellan, but I have discovered Magellan has problems when it's cloudy outside. It can't get a good signal and the readings are... weird..... or just don't show up.

The RV, to me (even though "only" 30 feet...) is a HUGE THING to drive. When I first started RV'ing, I would have panic attacks before I took off on a trip (THIS RV IS HUGE, OH MY GOD!!!!). I have just gotten to the point where I don't have them any more as long as I travel one state over/down. This trip to CA is a "different" kind of trip for me, I'm having a panic attack again! But I have to do it, because I want to drive to Pennsylvania some day to see the Flight 93 thing.

Also, I checked CALTRANS, and apparently, there is a slight delay both directions for about 2 miles about 7 miles north of Redding. Delay is 30 minutes to 2 hours. Well, I did build in an "oops" day, and I think that will be the day I make a "short" drive, mileage wise.

Thank you all for bearing with me, because I am nervous about this, but, after what Testudo said, ok, I think I can do this!

JJ :D

19. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 15 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]9146[/snapback]

DSXMac,

BTW I also wanted to say I really like the picture you have added to your posts. What a precious little face! I know you will take good care of your little one on the trip.

Thanks, Texasrvers, but unfortunately, that is just an avatar that I found on this website. It's not the actual picture of my cat. But, I think my cat is precious. He is 18 pounds, I think he is part Siamese because he has Siamese coloring and he has the long legs of a Siamese (but not the Siamese face), but he also has white tabby stripes. Hmm...... If I can load a picture of my cat, I'll try it!

JJ :blink:

YAY! I got it to work! Now I have a picture of MY kitty!!!!!

20. Testudo

Testudo
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 14 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]9138[/snapback]

Boy, Testudo's post hit me like a ton of bricks, but it worked! I "reframed" it and IT'S JUST ANOTHER RV TRIP!!!! So, now I'm excited and can't wait (two more days to go, leaving Friday!!!).

Gee, I didn't mean to drop any bricks on you [grin!].

I'm glad to hear that you are psyched !!! Have a good trip !

Actually, a little pre-trip day RV drive near home might be a good idea. It might calm you whenever you start to feel anxious about the RV. Also, it would be a good idea to take the pet along on the "practice" trip. The pets get more anxious than the people and they can "read" our anxiety. A short practice trip helps to remind them that it's scary but it will probably come to a good end.

[Did you change you cat avatar ??? I seemed to remember a _different_ cat from a few days ago. Ah! Wait a minute, ...last post explains all.]