I've Done This Before So Why Am I Scared?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Testudo

Testudo
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for bearing with me, because I am nervous about this, but, after what Testudo said, ok, I think I can do this!

We'll all be your co-pilots on the trip. If you get into an anxious situation, just remember to think how we would talk you through it if we were there (...as though we _were_ there). You don't have to feel like you are going through it alone because we are all pulling for you. Have great trip!

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Your kitty is cute, too. Glad you got his picture up. Have a good trip! Tell us all about it when you get back.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Day 1:

I woke up at 3:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep. So, despite the fact that I have trouble driving in the dark (this started in my mid-40's....), I got up and packed up and left anyway. And, I conclude I STILL shouldn't drive in the dark. I did ok, but I don't like to do that.

Anyway, once it got to be light out, I felt fine, just like previous RV trips! Since I left early, I anticipated getting to Albany, OR by 2:30 or so. HA HA HA yeah, right! I-84 eastbound in Portland had an accident that backed traffic up to I-5, so I-5 was crowded because of that. Took me 1.5 hours to get through Portland, OR! Got to Albany by 4:00.

Now, I'm used to...... once I park, I'm here for two or three days. Just the thought of having to get up tomorow to pack up..... ugh! That's why, for now, I'm limiting myself to 300 miles a day, get settled early enough to have time to relax, cook dinner, watch TV, fuss on the computer, go to bed at reasonable hour, and not upset kitty too much.

Weather said it was going to rain in Seattle, I don't like driving the RV down I-5 through Seattle anyway (because I SWARE the freeway lanes are narrower through Seattle, I swear they are!), so I took the Port Townsend ferry. Well, the road to the ferry terminal is kind of rough on kitty (it's a winding road). He does ok on freeway, but not winding roads. Poo and piddle all over his carrier, poor thing. He was not happy and he let me know it! After we got off the ferry, I let him "hunker" in the bed the rest of the trip.

Turns out, it didn't start raining until I got to Centralia, which is the southern part of I-5 in WA state. Rained all the way to Albany.

Ok, time to cook dinner! I'm fine so far, but we'll see tomorrow, I will hit California border tomorrow.

JJ :p

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Day 2.

I'm in Weed, CA. I CAN DO THIS!

Also, I came to the conclusion that..... the "panic attacks" I thought I had..... well, they weren't panic attacks. What I was feeling was...... DREAD! Ok, what am I dreading? THE PACKING! For me, it's a pain in the you know what! I live in a condo, so I have to store my RV somewhere else. This means, I pack the car, drive it to the RV storage, then transfer all from car to RV. And when I unpack, it's also a two step process! I HATE THIS!!

Also, what I was dreading for this particular trip was....... the setting up and taking down every single day! Normally, I drive somewhere, set up, and STAY AWHILE. Then the setting up and taking down isn't too bad. But, when you have to set up and take down every day, well, I was dreading that. And, so far, yes it is a pain in the ****. But not enough to quit RV'ing!

I filled up my tires two days ago. Today, I "thumped" my tires, and one of them "sounds" different. I hope I'm not loosing air. Oh well, I built in an "oops" day just in case....

JJ

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Day 3

I decided to take a "chill" day, and stayed one more night in Weed. Last night I walked to a Mexican restaurant, then came back and had a glass of hot spiced wine that I made at home and I'm carrying with me. Well, that combo didn't "sit" well with me. So, I'm taking a chill day. Also, I checked my tires, air pressure seems fine. I can't figure out why the "thump test" is giving me a different sound. (I did this based on seeing a long haul trucker hit his tires with a rubber mallet for the same reason....)

I'm going to ride my E-bike around Weed and check it out.

JJ B)

6. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 18 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]9186[/snapback]

Day 3

I decided to take a "chill" day, and stayed one more night in Weed. Last night I walked to a Mexican restaurant, then came back and had a glass of hot spiced wine that I made at home and I'm carrying with me. Well, that combo didn't "sit" well with me. So, I'm taking a chill day. Also, I checked my tires, air pressure seems fine. I can't figure out why the "thump test" is giving me a different sound. (I did this based on seeing a long haul trucker hit his tires with a rubber mallet for the same reason....)

I'm going to ride my E-bike around Weed and check it out.

JJ B)

If I'd a known you were bringin' home made wine I would have helped you drive!

Good luck, enjoy the trip and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Day 4 and 5

On Monday morning, Mt. Shasta had a light dusting of snow, but no snow on highways. I'm glad I waited until Monday to leave Weed. It was a beautiful day, partly cloudy, with sunshine. Made it through the construction area in Redding fine. CalTrans says Saturday northbound should be ok, but Sunday might not. Monday night I stayed in Patterson, Kit Fox RV park. Sacramento and Stockton just did not give me warm fuzzies about good RV parks. The wireless at Kit Fox was slow, might as well have been on dialup! Today (Tuesday), I arrived in Acton, went to dinner with my friend that I'm spending Thanksgiving with. Staying at Califorian RV Park. The wireless here is available only in the office, not at the RV's. Rats! Won't be checking email for the next few days.

JJ

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Yea! Glad to hear you made it. Have a great TG.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I'm on my way back now. I'm back in Patterson. I debated about taking a different route, but if I go off I-5, the roads are winding and my cat has issues (gets car sick). So, back on I-5, will probably stay at the same places I stayed on the way down.

I'm glad I did this. However, I have crossed off the list any potential visits to the Pasadena Rose parade. Driving my RV around Lancaster/Palmdale/Acton scared the crap out of me, so NO FREAKING WAY will I drive into LA.

However, I had a good time with my friend on Thanksgiving. We had a small turkey, which he cooked. Yams, salad, desert. Enough food without me being stuffed and feeling horrible. It was great!

I have come to the conclusion that if I attempt any long distance trips, my "limits" are 300 miles a day, and every third day is a "chill out" day. More than two days in a row I am too tired.

Gotta rethink this trip to Shanksville I want to do, it will take me a whole month to go up there and back!

JJ

10. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

DXSMac, I'm glad you had such a great time and I hope that you DON'T rethink your trip to Shanksville. You'll be able to complete that trip the same as you've done the one you're on now.

I don't know how much traveling you've done East of the Mississippi, but it's not exactly the same as west of it. I think you'd be really surprised at how much more miles you can put on in a day once you get through the mountains. And, Chicago is about the largest city that you'd be having to go around and that's really not that bad...I've done it in a motorhome, so if I can do it, anybody can. ;)

11. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Nov 24 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]9215[/snapback]

I don't know how much traveling you've done East of the Mississippi, but it's not exactly the same as west of it. I think you'd be really surprised at how much more miles you can put on in a day once you get through the mountains. And, Chicago is about the largest city that you'd be having to go around and that's really not that bad...I've done it in a motorhome, so if I can do it, anybody can. ;)

I lived in Georgia for 13 years (but didn't have an RV at that time), so I'm familiar with how small the states are, and the "mountains" that to me, are "hills." You're probably right, it's probably the mountains here that I have had to drive over that made me tired. I remember when I was about 41, I drove (in a car) from Atlanta, GA to somewhere in the middle of Wisconsin to visit my sister. I got 200 miles the first day because it was raining too hard. The next day, I drove 800 miles and wasn't even tired. However, it was also May, and longer days.

I still want to see the Memorial in Shanksville, I just have to figure out my timing on it.

JJ

12. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

DXSMac
    You can do anything that you set your mind to. You have just shown your self on this trip that you can do it if you want. Now you just have to want to do it.

Everyone is patiently awaiting for you to post about your trip to Shanksville. Now when are you leaving? Need more inspiration :rolleyes: ....

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Nov 24 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]9222[/snapback]

Everyone is patiently awaiting for you to post about your trip to Shanksville. Now when are you leaving? Need more inspiration :rolleyes: ....

Well, I was going to try it next summer (2008), but I think I will put it off to 2009. Instead, I'll try a slightly longer trip next summer, I'll drive to Colorado Springs. Why that location? My nephew is in the AF Academy, he will graduate in 2011. Next summer, I'll take a "dress rehearsal" trip to find a good place to go in my RV for when he does graduate. But I still gotta go to the Shanksville site, that's at the top of my "must see" list.

JJ

14. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 23 2007, 10:45 PM) [snapback]9211[/snapback]

Ok, I'm on my way back now. I'm back in Patterson. I debated about taking a different route, but if I go off I-5, the roads are winding and my cat has issues (gets car sick). So, back on I-5, will probably stay at the same places I stayed on the way down.

I'm glad I did this. However, I have crossed off the list any potential visits to the Pasadena Rose parade. Driving my RV around Lancaster/Palmdale/Acton scared the crap out of me, so NO FREAKING WAY will I drive into LA.

However, I had a good time with my friend on Thanksgiving. We had a small turkey, which he cooked. Yams, salad, desert. Enough food without me being stuffed and feeling horrible. It was great!

I have come to the conclusion that if I attempt any long distance trips, my "limits" are 300 miles a day, and every third day is a "chill out" day. More than two days in a row I am too tired.

Gotta rethink this trip to Shanksville I want to do, it will take me a whole month to go up there and back!

JJ

If you didn't like the drive around Lancaster, the "pucker factor" increases exponentially as you get closer to LA.

Don't put off any trips, tho.

You only go through this life once...

How did the RV Park in Acton work out for you?

15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Nov 27 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]9251[/snapback]

If you didn't like the drive around Lancaster, the "pucker factor" increases exponentially as you get closer to LA.

Don't put off any trips, tho.

You only go through this life once...

How did the RV Park in Acton work out for you?

Oh, the RV Park in Acton was great! I posted a review, I believe it's up for view now! Thank you very much to .... whomever suggested it to me (I'm too lazy to go back and check....) It had nice terraced slots, most of them pull through! The only bad thing was the entrance is steeply sloped and my scooter carrier (I have an electric bike) scraped bottom when I turned into the park. It worked out great! However, it was on a busy highway, so I couldn't ride my E-bike the 8 miles to my friend's house, too many cars!

Right now, I'm in Salem, OR. I got here yesterday with the intention of going home today, but I DON'T WANT TO GO HOME! I get this feeling each time I'm on an RV trip, I don't want to go home! Well, this morning I woke up late. If I tried to leave today, I would have wound up going through Seattle during high traffic times, no way! Usually, I veer off at Olympia and head to Port Townsend and take the ferry, but guess what, they have problems with the ferries (deep pits in the hulls....), so the ferries at Port Townsend are now PASSENGER ONLY until further notice! Also, the RV Park I'm at in Salem (Hee Hee Illahee, ok, the name is goofy, but it's a great park) is having a "pay 2 nights get the 3rd free...." and since I decided to stay the extra night I couldn't pass up the freebie.

JJ

16. catman2130093

catman2130093
    Expand Collapse

I'm familiar with the fear and the dread, but I downsized from a class A to a 29 foot B+ with three slides. It feels pretty much like driving a conversion van! There is a film by a Texas college professor that I've seen on PBS called "Roam Sweet Home" that is about 2 women and a dog cross country rving with a dog. They interview women they meet along the way travelling solo in their rvs-I felt like a wuss for being fearful when these late 70s widow women were driving their class As all over the country! Good movie, good lesson.

17. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(catman2130093 @ Feb 21 2008, 10:30 AM) [snapback]10347[/snapback]

I'm familiar with the fear and the dread, but I downsized from a class A to a 29 foot B+ with three slides. It feels pretty much like driving a conversion van! There is a film by a Texas college professor that I've seen on PBS called "Roam Sweet Home" that is about 2 women and a dog cross country rving with a dog. They interview women they meet along the way travelling solo in their rvs-I felt like a wuss for being fearful when these late 70s widow women were driving their class As all over the country! Good movie, good lesson.

I know! I think I am going to try the Shanksville trip next summer, just gotta see the Flight 93 thing. I'm nervous, but the California trip gave me some perspective on how to approach it. Yeppers, I'm only 52. If women in their 70's can do this, so can I!

When I worked full time, I have relocated four times back and forth across the country, didn't bother me to do that in a car. But in an RV?????? YIKES!

JJ

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry if this is off topic for this thread, but I wanted to ask JJ a question. You have mentioned wanting to see the Flight 93 memorial several times, and I was wondering if you have a connection to it. Did you know someone on the flight? I don't mean to bring up bad memories if that is the case, but I am just curious why it is so special for you. And if this is too pushy, I apologize and feel free not to answer.

19. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Feb 23 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]10377[/snapback]

Sorry if this is off topic for this thread, but I wanted to ask JJ a question. You have mentioned wanting to see the Flight 93 memorial several times, and I was wondering if you have a connection to it. Did you know someone on the flight? I don't mean to bring up bad memories if that is the case, but I am just curious why it is so special for you. And if this is too pushy, I apologize and feel free not to answer.

Not pushy at all, and thank you for asking!

I can't explain it. It's just a "feeling." I don't personally know anyone that was on that flight. I think it pertains more to...... I've been on planes a JILLION times in my life, never a problem, and I guess I just want to pay some respects and I guess.... say, THANK YOU. Those folks on that plane were BRAVE!

JJ

20. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Those are certainly good reasons for wanting to visit. As I said I was just curious. I guess we all have places that we would like to visit for our own special reasons. Hope you have a great trip when you go.