Less People Camping.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Wink, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

I am finding that with the price of gas going up it is getting easier to book a open spot in the state and federal camp grounds.Is any one else finding this to be true or is it just where I camp most of the time in Georgia & Florida.

2. rollinghills

rollinghills
    Expand Collapse

I see a lot of campers of all shapes and sizes going down the road here in this part of East Texas. I don't know where they are going but I wish I could go. We will be going late in the summer I don't care what prices are, I think I deserve it.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Last week we were on a short 22 day trip around FL and see the same thing here as well. Parks are empty, places to eat are the same as parks, and not a lot of people around. We start travel again in May and find everyplace we look on line like State Parks and COE Parks all have open sites and on weekends as well. Very odd to see this. I looked on out into June and July and see no problem to get into anything. The high fuel cost has killed off a lot of RV people. On the road here in FL we found very little RV traffic. At the last State Park we were in as we pulled out one motorhome was left. Park had 35 sites and my count found only 10 units. :rolleyes:

4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I manage a campground in Central Texas and we had about 1/2 the usual Winter Texans coming through this year that we had last year. If fuel prices don't drop I think there will be even less next season. It is a shame that so many people cannot travel like they want to because of prices. Most of the people on the road now are people that travel for their jobs and live in their RV rather than paying hotel prices.

5. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

I've seen a few folks on 95 in NJ,MD, and VA recently, but not as many as I'd have expected now that Spring is here. We have trips planned that we'll go on, but the last minute trips will be much closer to home than in years past (sorry Pennsylvania, won't be seeing you this summer).

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We were one month late on trying to book a private and state campground... both booked solid...so far I'm not seeing it.

Mike

7. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Our experience this year is much like 2008 when fuel was at then record levels. Fewer people traveling and more staying closer to home. We leave FL mid May and head north until October. Some campgrounds where we usually stay up north for a few days say they are full and a couple have said they are going to be all seasonal this year. Snowbird parks in Central FL looked full this winter and a couple of owners said this year was a "normal" year (not bad, not good). We do not normally stay in state park/coes (we prefer full hook ups) but the few we have booked (trips with grandkids) are showing full. Restaurants, doctor's offices, and highways here in Central FL are back to "in between crowds" - snow birds gone and kids out of school tourists not here yet.

8. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

We haven't had any problems making reservations including Memorial Day weekend in Flagstaff and Fourth of July weekend in Boise. Haven't decided on Labor Day weekend yet, but all three places in Montana we are considering aren't booked up yet. MIght be an easy year to get into the parks.

9. LargeEventPlanner

LargeEventPlanner
    Expand Collapse

Actually we are experiencing the opposite in Indiana. The campgrounds are filling up quickly and earlier. We are already having difficulty making reservations for the summer at Indiana campgrounds. Until a year ago our idea of vacationing was going to Europe, and I think like us, a lot of people are selecting less expensive vacationing options.

10. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

We've been in AZ for the winter. Have decided to just leave the RV here all summer and early fall and drive home to Maine w/out it. With gas at nearly $5:00 a gallon, to pull it across the country is too much $$. We can stay in cheap hotels/motels for less.

11. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Apr 11 2011, 03:34 PM) [snapback]25820[/snapback]

I am finding that with the price of gas going up it is getting easier to book a open spot in the state and federal camp grounds.Is any one else finding this to be true or is it just where I camp most of the time in Georgia & Florida.

I may have to eat my words.It has not stopped the snow birds from going to the Keys.I just went on line looking for more days in the keys and the earliest any thing was open was the end of march 2012 and not many in state Parks then. :(

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

You got to be kidding! I just heard on the news that gas in Orlando was $5.69 a gallon. It's got to be worse in the Keys!

13. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

You got to be kidding! I just heard on the news that gas in Orlando was $5.69 a gallon. It's got to be worse in the Keys!

The $5.69 gas in all the news is at a gas station near the airport - the last place for tourists to stop before they turn in the rental car. There are no price signs on the roadway so most do not know what they will pay until they are already there and it is too late to go elsewhere. This station has been doing this for years. Orlando TV stations do an "exposee" every three months or so. The owner just ignores them and keeps making his trips to the bank. Regular gas today at most stations is about $3.79 in Orlando.

14. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like I better get busy and book my major stops for late September and early October up North. As previously mentioned, I think a lot of people are staying closer to home which is making the local favorite spots full. In regards to gas prices, I think a lot of that is the media and speculation hype. I have a feeling towards the end of year when the politicians start their campaigns the price of gas will miraculously go down. Considering I am taking my major trip of the year late in the year I may come out okay on the gas prices. Keeping my fingers crossed just in case.

15. Blogengeezer

Blogengeezer
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Apr 11 2011, 03:34 PM) [snapback]25820[/snapback]

Just returned from a one month, 3,800 mile RV trip from NM through Texas, Lousiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and return through Arkansas. Found state parks at low vacancy levels during the week, but school is not out yet. That changes the formula.

Weekends are still tight at the family attractive parks near major urban areas. Noticed lots of tent campers. State Park rangers in Texas are the most helpful, even referring to nearby private RV parks when necessary. This trip was exciting, dodging the tornados. Tornados chased and leapfrogged over us at every campground. They must have recognized the RV. Always afraid tornados will mistake us for a modular home, which they seemingly devour with relish..

GasBuddy.com is good info. Fuel was 'comparitively' reasonable at Sam's Club and Costco. Kroger and their corporate affiliates card is a real saver at their fuel facilities nationwide. Walmarts with fuel are also somewhat more reasonable. H.E.B. in Texas is a good fuel card. The falling US dollar value is the culprit. Inflation is apparent. US dollars in the bank are depreciating fast ...so enjoy. trip posted at DaFlikkers.blogspot

16. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Well, we left yesterday morning for our 4-month odyssey and managed to get a whole three hours on the road before we blew a tire on the fiver. So I had two hours to observe how many RV passed by us on I-10.........lots and lots and lots. People are either heading out or going home, but there were one heck of a lot of RVs out on the highway. Obviously, gas prices can't dowse the spirits of the dedicated RVers!

17. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ May 2 2011, 03:35 PM) [snapback]25993[/snapback]

Well, we left yesterday morning for our 4-month odyssey and managed to get a whole three hours on the road before we blew a tire on the fiver. So I had two hours to observe how many RV passed by us on I-10.........lots and lots and lots. People are either heading out or going home, but there were one heck of a lot of RVs out on the highway. Obviously, gas prices can't dowse the spirits of the dedicated RVers!

That is no way to start a 4 month trip.I live right off I-95 and a lot of them are snow birds going home.By there tag`s on the RV`s

18. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I've spent the last couple months at a number of RV parks, and State Parks in New Mexico. In most cases RV travel has increased over last year at those parks. In some cases parks that typically have lots of open spaces have even been at or near capacity. The exception has been in areas getting unusually cold weather this year, where RV use has been way down. I spent last week at Hyde State Park, above Santa Fe. It snowed for several days, and the park was almost deserted. Last year at this time weather was much warmer, and the RV area was full. This week I am at Oasis State Park near Clovis NM. The weather has been in the 80's, and I took the last available RV spot when I arrived. Last year at this time there were a number of open spots. So in N.M. weather seems to have a lot more influence on travelers than gas price. I paid $3.78/gallon today however, so we'll see what happens if/when gas reaches $4!

19. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jim crowl @ May 4 2011, 10:07 PM) [snapback]26009[/snapback]

I've spent the last couple months at a number of RV parks, and State Parks in New Mexico. In most cases RV travel has increased over last year at those parks. In some cases parks that typically have lots of open spaces have even been at or near capacity. The exception has been in areas getting unusually cold weather this year, where RV use has been way down. I spent last week at Hyde State Park, above Santa Fe. It snowed for several days, and the park was almost deserted. Last year at this time weather was much warmer, and the RV area was full. This week I am at Oasis State Park near Clovis NM. The weather has been in the 80's, and I took the last available RV spot when I arrived. Last year at this time there were a number of open spots. So in N.M. weather seems to have a lot more influence on travelers than gas price. I paid $3.78/gallon today however, so we'll see what happens if/when gas reaches $4!

Jim it has all ready got to 4.00 dollars a gallon here or very close 3.98.9.I think a lot of it is in peoples head.If the difference of 20 cent a gallon is going to brake you.You did`t need to go in the first place.I do know when it hit high enough that it took over a hundred dalliers to fill my tow van it sort of shocked me but it was like 93. something to fill up before that.So not that much difference it is just in your head.Like putting a price of 9.98 on something.

20. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Blogengeezer @ May 2 2011, 03:52 PM) [snapback]25992[/snapback]

This trip was exciting, dodging the tornados. Tornados chased and leapfrogged over us at every campground. They must have recognized the RV. Always afraid tornados will mistake us for a modular home, which they seemingly devour with relish..

:lol: :lol: :lol: