looking to buy a tow vehicle

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by The Klapp, Oct 18, 2023.

1. The Klapp

The Klapp
    Expand Collapse

what is better, flat tow or a trailer?

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Could you be a tad more specific as to what your purpose is for???

BankShot......(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. The Klapp

The Klapp
    Expand Collapse

We recently purchased a new class C motorhome. We are now looking to buy a vehicle to tow. In the process we have learned that only certain vehicles can be flat towed. If we want any other vehicle we would have to put it on a trailer. We have towed a vehicle on a trailer in the past with a u-haul with no issues. I was just wondering what the reasons were for choosing which type of tow people were using. I see mostly flat tow on the road.

4. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

You see a lot of flat towed vehicles because many used to tow with a dolly or a trailer. To me a lot less work to hook up my SUV on a Blue OX tow system and take off. No issue having to find a spot for a dolly or trailer once parked in a back in spot. Less tires to have to replace when they need replacement, dolly and trailers seem to need them more often than just what a car does. Finding a used vehicle that has been used as a tow behind car might save you a bit of money. Seems many are getting out of Rving and then have a car they don't need.

5. denny2

denny2
    Expand Collapse

It all depends on your needs. Flat towing is convenient because you don't have to worry about storing a trailer. However, not all vehicles can be flat towed without damaging their transmission or drivetrain.

I prefer using a trailer. It's more versatile and reduces the wear and tear on the towed vehicle. Trailers provide better stability, especially for long distances or heavier vehicles. This summer, I picked up a pipe-top utility trailer for hauling garden supplies and a couple of dirt bikes. The additional height from the pipe-top is great for securing taller loads.

Check these used trailers for sale . That's where I found my pipe-top trailer, and you can often find good deals on well-maintained equipment there.

#5 denny2, Oct 25, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2023
  6. The Klapp

The Klapp
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your input.

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

If you are a member of FMCA, they publish a list of vehicles for the current year that can be flat towed, once a year in their monthly magazine, as well as any restrictions.