Misleading Wi-Fi Claims

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Beastdriver, May 25, 2005.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I certainly agree with the general complaint concerning "misleading WIFI Claims" and have experienced poor service in many WIFI parks. Although I understood some of the simpler discussions in this string, the more technical ones made my head hurt. I am not sure that I am ready to spend good money for "gizmos" I might not have the techno-smarts to use correctly. On the other hand, in two plus years I have been bringing the laptop along on my trips, several of my repeat parks have uprgraded their systems. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue and maybe even accelerate.

For now, I will ask about the quality of the WIFI service and continue to let owners know that poor WIFI will limit my stay or cause me to not stay at their park. It can't hurt.

Jerry S.

2. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

JerryS,
    Building one of these gizmos http://dustydragon.com/wifi.htm doesn't take any technical knowledge. If I could build one anyone can. It's amazing the increased range they provide. With a 12" scoup I can now hit my home WiFi from over 1/2 mile away. I think it would pick up further than that but haven't had the chance yet to get further out. I've got less than $25 in it.

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Wadcutter,

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I checked out the site you referenced (and most of the further links listed in that site). Let's see: buy a dongle (USB adapter), a scoop (oriental cooking utensil), a USB cable (length depends on situation); then using a wire hanger, duct tape, and tools, fashion all this into a signal amplifying device. I know it sounds simple in terms of cost, time, and effort, but I am not certain the poor WIFI reception problem will continue to exist in the RV parks I visit.

Thanks again,

Jerry S.

4. jauth1

jauth1
    Expand Collapse

Jerry...Hawkings Hi-Gain Antennas cost about $60 bucks.....It will solve your problem, quicker then waiting for a Campground to change......Jim A. :)

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jauth1 @ Feb 26 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]6246[/snapback]

Jerry...Hawkings Hi-Gain Antennas cost about $60 bucks.....It will solve your problem, quicker then waiting for a Campground to change......Jim A. :)

Jauth1,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - I've been distracted in another string. Thanks for the lead. I'll google "Hawkins Hi-Gain Antenna" and see where is takes me.

Jerry S.

6. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

A buddy has one of these. His seems to work pretty well.
    Hawking HWU-8DD

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Alcot Ross - In case you didn't take notice this thread you are responding to is 11-1/2 years old and I doubt you will receive any repsonses on your posting. Welcome to the forum and hope to see more posts from you in some of the more current topics being discussed. Lots of knowledgeable folks here to assist, give advice when needed, and in general be more than happy to discuss many RV topics with you. If you look down at the bottom left corner of each post you will see the fine print that tells you when the last post was made and when the OP started it, etc. You can also introduce yourself to a lot more folks in the "Welcome to RVPR" section on the main forums page. Again, welcome and safe and happy RVing to you...................

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

#47 BankShot, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Bankshot:

After reading that Alcot Ross post I deleted it because it "smelled" like SPAM. It's English text was very clearly written by someone whose native language is Russian or some other Eastern European one.I sure wasn't going to risk my computer by clicking on it. Therefore, I deleted the original post and the copy of it that was contained in your response.

Joel (AKA docj)

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Joel - I didn't ever think about it being a spam post and that's exactly how we get "had" by not paying close attention to posts like this. Only reason I responded to it is because I've noticed lately that there have been a few "newbies" to the forum who are responding to posts that go back many years. Being new I doubt they do see the fine print at the bottom that tells the date of the post, etc. I will pay closer attention next time, rest assured. Thanks again..............

Terry..............(aka BankShot)