New park owners want input

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rockerpeople, Mar 31, 2004.

1. rvingwithkids

rvingwithkids
    Expand Collapse

That line got cut off, it should have said: Save your wifi purchase for last, as the WiFi equipment will probably be alot faster that the current technology by the time you finish construction of the campground.

2. Skyewriter

Skyewriter
    Expand Collapse

Lots of great suggestions out there - not really much to add. One suggestion relative to the pet walk came from my vet, who warned us about problems associated with using a "dirty walk".

The area must be routinely cleaned because all owners do not pick up after their dogs. On a regular basis the dirt or gravel must be changed as well, and lime occasionally mixed in with the soil or rock. This is necessary for a couple of reasons. Dog feces can contain bacteria that may transmit viruses to other dogs. Excessive smell may also cause some dogs to "refuse" to use the pit, thus owners have to walk them elsewhere to do their business. The problem just spreads from there, courtesy of those very few inconsiderate owners. If you're going to have a walk, guests, pets & park owners are best served in the long run if the walk is maintained in a sanitary manner. The only other option woiuld be to ban pets, but the problem with that is that you are also banning some very fine people that you would otherwise want to have in your park.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Skyewriter:

Thanks for a great suggestion! Most of us had never thought of, or heard of, this problem, but, hopefully, campground owners, and pet owners, will be aware and will take steps to avoid problems.

4. texaskid05

texaskid05
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand Why campgrounds charge for wireless internet either. After staying at one in Van Horn, Texas (where it is a free service) and talking with the owner a bit, He mentioned that one of his camp workers had set it up for him and it was pretty cheap, I think under 300.00 to do. And he already paid for a monthly internet service to his office anyhow and just fed the park from that. So there was no reason to charge campers for a service he already had. I wish all campground owners thought like that

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

TexasKid:

For years, I have camaigned for RV Park owners to do like motels: One charge that covers everything instead of "bait and switch" pricing, and nickle and diming us to death. Pretty soon, we'll see basic camping charges, plus charges for use of the pool, charges for use of the bathrooms, charges for use of the showers, charges for having a pet, charges for having visitors--wait a minute--we already have charges for most of those things now that I think about it. Wi-Fi is a good example. Used to be there was a complimentary line that was dedicated for internet access and that was part of the price. Nowadays, many parks invest a very small amount in wi-fi, and charge so much they recoup their investment in a matter of weeks. Sooner or later, they'll catch on: There are too many campgrounds to choose from and too many owners who have realistic pricing for us to tolerate "add-ons" to the basic camping price. :rolleyes:

6. Wanderlost

Wanderlost
    Expand Collapse

We're just getting into RVing, but we have definite requirements. First and foremost, the staff must be friendly and helpful. Next, the CG must be clean -- everywhere, including the doggie area. Since you indicated you'll cater to the overnight crowd, pull-throughs big enough to drive into, not unhook, and simply roll out the next day are essential.

I completely agree that a flat fee is best. I may/may not use a laundry, the showers, WiFi, cable TV, or phone hookups, but I don't mind paying for it, anymore than I do at a hotel. I'm frugal, but not cheap...

What else? Full hookups, space to sit outside without being underneath the next RV, not being underneath the aircraft approach/departure zone, and not right beside the interstate. I stopped to get some rest, not to hear airport and road noise.

Other than that, we're not real picky.... :lol:

7. marxtrains

marxtrains
    Expand Collapse

Did you ever get the campground built & Opened?

Jerry

8. Ohio-jayco-popup

Ohio-jayco-popup
    Expand Collapse

I think the other comments are very good suggestions. I am sure you did a cost comparison of the start up of a camp ground. It sounds like your trying to make the park very accessible by using alot of concreate. You might find the perfect nitch of people that only want to stay one night, and don't care for all the ammenities. The only thing I could add is, keep it simple if you only want a over night CG. Owners that go over board want to re-coup their investments in 2-3 years and end up losing in the end by overcharging in the begining. You may want to use gravel or black top at first, then concreate later on, as concreate is very expensive. Blacktop can hold the weight of the big rigs as long as they are moving, so use concreate next to the store and check-in. Well thats my $.02 and good luck.

P.S. Put a posting on here when your up and running
    so we can drop by. :p

9. johnwadams

johnwadams
    Expand Collapse

A good laundry really is a plus. And, please have more dryers than washers. From 25 years of camping, I think that most laundries need from 50% to double the number of dryers than washers. Many people today use a low heat delicate cycle on todays dryers and some washers can do 3 loads while 1 load is drying.
    And the free WIFI would be a big plus. Same for cheap wifi. We just spent one night at a park that had wifi, but the minimum purchase was one month at about $20. Even $2 or $3 dollars a day beats those that try to get $3.95 per hour or $5.95 per day. You do need some wide sites for those that have slide-outs on each side. These people should be willing to pay more for a wider site. I don't ever envision having a rig with slideouts on both sides. To tight in too many places.

10. rockerpeople

rockerpeople
    Expand Collapse

Hi to all posters, especially to those who answered our posting looking for information from RV owners on what they would like in a new park. We took quite a lot of your information to heart and used it to design our park, put together park rules, and to add the amenities you want. Our park is currently and finally being built after much to do trying to convince banks and the City Planning and Zoning Board that RV Parks are not "Trailer Parks". Convenience for the "Overnight" stay will be our main selling point with flat fees and no add ons, laundry with more dryers than washers, free wi-fi, a great pool, very nice showers and restrooms which are all handicap accessible, picnic tables and grills at all sites, 20/30/50 amp, computer hookups at the sites as well as phone, satelitte TV, concrete pads and asphalt roads, pet area, and much more. Though we are close to the highway, sound is not too bad since the park sets in the hollow area by the exit ramp. Our folks lived there for 42 years in an uninsulated house and it wasn't bad at all. We are next to many good restaurants as well as hope to have our on-site restaurant open soon. We also have a Holiday Inn next door. We appreciate all your input and hope you will stop in and see us and give us even more guidance. See our web site at www.rvexpressrvpark.com for progress photos and more info on the park. Thanks again, Terry Evans RVExpress RV Park LLC 1469 Spur Drive Marshfield, MO 65706 (417) 859-RVER 859-7837

11. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations. Sounds like you have done it right. I wish other RV park developers would listen to you and use your example and we can hardly wait to visit. :)

12. PokyRVer

PokyRVer
    Expand Collapse

I fully agree with those who said to pick your target market and design for it, especially since you plan to have only 17 sites! You certainly can't be everything to everybody with that small a campground. I also agree that most rigs do not have their own laundry facilities, but again, with 17 sites, you won't need to provide more than one or two washers & dryers.

I do know that I tend to pick campgrounds based on appearance as it appeals to me (which is of course different for everyone) and on cleanliness ratings - especially regarding the bathrooms. Again, think small, but adequate and clean. Perhaps 2-3 stalls and 2 sinks in each bathroom, with one shower stall. I don't know how much more expensive it is to do this, but if you have separate unisex shower rooms (one shower per room, obviously! :) ) you wouldn't have to have more than 2 or 3.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

13. Terry McGee

Terry McGee
    Expand Collapse

Here is something to think about:

A fenced in area where people can give their dogs exercise. Put inside a trash can, bench and pick up bags. I have seen this in a few CG's and the people loved it. Dogs need to be able to get in some run time. I don't travel with a dog. I have a cat.

14. weasel007

weasel007
    Expand Collapse

When we camp we like privacy! Bushes or trees between sites. Big sites with grass with room to put up our awning and not have it cover the fire pit.

We have a pop up camper and have been to some parks where WE couldn't even have a fire because it was too close to our camper. We have also been to some parks where we couldn't put up our awning OR have a fire because they were so small. I don't know what someone in a big rig would have done.

One RV park in Wisconsin had sites so small that we spent Friday night watching people try to get their rigs onto the sites, eventually give up and they must have had to go somewhere else. I would have been furious to get to a campground that I planned to be at, made reservations and plans, only to get there and find out you couldn't fit.

Good Luck!

15. wwk00

wwk00
    Expand Collapse

My recommendation would be to have sites at leasy 40'-50' feet wide. Rv'ers don't like 'parking lot' campsites. Landscape so the views are broken up and not sterile.

Very important - make sure everyone knows the rules and patrol at night to enforce them.

Quiet hours enforced (no music or loud talking)
    Pull the plug on the outside camper lights at 10pm (will also help your electric bill)
    Dogs need to be leashed and barking kept to a minimum

16. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

barking kept to a minimum

Any suggestions on how to do this?

17. laskeeter

laskeeter
    Expand Collapse

I for one like the space, concrete, and few trees around the sites. I like to rough it with two color TV's, Satellite TV, Air Conditioning, and Wi-Fi. The telephone at each site is a waste for me. I use my Cell Phone for all my calls. It sounds as though you are doing your homework, but as someone else said, you must be doing this as a hobby. With only 17 sites you will never recover you investment.

18. donnaB

donnaB
    Expand Collapse

Big spacious, deep sites with a buffer of dense trees separating sites would be my ideal campground. Don't like those "parking lot" type of campgrounds where you are forced into talking to your neighbor and maybe even sharing dinner with them! We go camping to get away from the neighborhood and enjoy peace and quiet. We are friendly people, don't get me wrong. Friendly staff, clean bathrooms and showers are a must too.

19. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

One thing we look for in a campground, is a site long enough that we do not have to unhook the toad. When we are just passing thru and spending 1 night, we prefer to leave it hooked to the rig. I have never used the showers or restrooms in a park so am not overly concerned with that, however, if I went into one and it was dirty, I would not go back to that park again.

20. quicksilver

quicksilver
    Expand Collapse

Wow!! I went to the website and saw the rate at 29.50 per night with no discounts noted(except for the temporary 10% introductory discount). Sounds a little steep to me for an overnight site when there are several Passport America parks in the area that charge 10.00 or less for an overnight E/W site. I have spent most of my working life as an entrepeneur/business owner and I would be downright livid at a 'consultant' who let me spend my money to build an RV park that rquired such a fee when others in the area are priced so much less. Yes, I realize that this is a new park and is probably very nice as compared to the other less expensive alternatives. But, hey, it is just a place to sleep for the night and then move on to your destination. How about it rockerpeople, did the 'consultant' you mentioned provide you with a business plan with market research indicating that a 29.50 per night fee is what the market will bear? I did a cursory market analysis from afar, and came up with a figure that is substantially less than that. Please allay my doubts and tell me that he provided you with some good target market research. I hope for your sake that this venture works out and proves to be profitable for you. I realize that your investment is substantial and I sincerely wish you the best. I expect this post will prompt some criticism of me for failing to be positive, but just couldn't pass up the urge to throw in my two cents worth.