New park owners want input

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rockerpeople, Mar 31, 2004.

1. slobote

slobote
    Expand Collapse

Firepits can be a nightmare. We recently stayed at a park that had firepits and we could not breathe because of the smoke. Also flying embers were landing on our awning.

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I agree with that - we recently stayed in a park that had firepits at the back of the sites. We like to sleep with the bedroom windows open, weather permitting and we ended up having to close them because the neighbors were sitting around their firepit drinking late into the night and our bedroom was filling up with smoke. I could still smell it in the bed linens and window coverings the next day.

3. rockerpeople

rockerpeople
    Expand Collapse

We are opening our doors the 18th of this month! Thanks to all of you for your input! We hope that you will stop in and let us know, even if you don't stay, that you were instrumental in ideas and providing knowledge for us to make a successful park.
    I am afraid to plant the trees this year, so we are kind of barren until spring.
    More than likely, our rates will stay at the discounted rate for some time. Yes, we are a little higher than some other parks in the general area, though provide so many more amenities, the couple extra bucks will be well spent money. Our heated pool is very large and private, not to mention fun. Also, the on-site restaurant is fantastic!
    Thanks again for everything and we look forward to meeting you. Terry & Iwana Evans RVExpress RV Park LLC 1469 Spur Drive Marshfield, MO 65706 (417) 859-RVER 859-7837 Fax (417) 859-7837 www.rvexpressrvpark.com rvexpress@rvexpressrvpark.com

4. Carly

Carly
    Expand Collapse

Wow! How hard it is to cater to everyone. I agree with many and disagree with many. One thing I am very definate on is that I HATE campfires. They are dangerous and they stink. I don't need my RV to smell like a fire scene and it isn't all that good for the environment either.
    As for dog run area. I will never take my dog to a closed in dog run area. They are a breeding ground for disease. Someone mentioned that the ground be changed and lime be used but I would guess that there is not one park out there that does that. There are enough diseases out there in nature without asking for trouble. Somehow there has to be a way found to penalize people that don't pick up after their pets. We were in a park last week that people were just coming through for the night on their way south and when we got up in the morning and opened the door to let our dog out, there was a BIG pile of dog poop. Thank you very much; you are the kind of people that have parks with no pet policies.
    I will not stay at a park that charges extra for my 5# dog (or any size dog for that matter) unless they pick up after her. If she doesn't get any services, why should I pay extra?

5. march2397

march2397
    Expand Collapse

I have owned dogs for years and love them. Park owners charge extra for dogs IMHO to discourage dogs without outright barring them. Dogs make messes, not all owners pick up and dogs bark. People, notall, but some, complain about dogs.

I don't have a problem with park owners charging extra.

6. jensjems

jensjems
    Expand Collapse

Hi - we are new Rver's and sounds like your on the right track - be sure to keep the laundry room clean, including inside the machines. A small dim light next to the hook-ups would be helpful and how about a little sign on the hook ups telling guest of the extra features as cable, internet, phone - Also, be sure to sign the electric for guest to turn off brakers before plugging/unplugging, then back on after plugging in - we run into more campers who do not know this. - Now if you want a real nice non-franchise rv park to go see how they are doing a super great job - go visit the one in Effingham, IL - I think it is the only one there. Young couple, the office building is painted gray and it is on a little lake. It is down a residental road just past shopping and easy to interstate - wish I could remember the name, but I sure will go back there as they were great and I know the way :rolleyes:

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Have read that the owners have opened the campground, and hope they are doing well. Good Luck. Just to add my two cents worth, I was must impressed with other campgrounds customer service in the form of providing a free daily newspaper. I feel it is a great way to win & gain new friends and influence people. As stated previously, easy un-obstructed entrance and egress at the sites and interior roadways is very important to myself to protect my property and the campgrounds property as well. Thank you, and again, good luck in your endeavor.

safe travels,enjoy

Butch

8. RVL217646

RVL217646
    Expand Collapse

We haven't seen many upscale resorts in MO. We'd love to see a better upper end facility where Prevost conversions and similiar would be welcome. One way I'd suggest is to go to several RV facilities. Try an Outdoor Resort facility, or try Zion River Resort in Virgin, Utah; or Kerrville, Texas. Indio California has 4-5 spectacular resorts. Go to them, see what works, what doesn't work, what those owners have to say about what they wish they would have done etc.

9. Sandra

Sandra
    Expand Collapse

We are fulltimers and have been now for 1 1/2 years.

Have the sewer outlet on the side rather than at the back. Too many it seems are at the back and our outlet is nearer the front so we have to join hoses together and I'm always afraid of leaks.

I agree with the dog walk area. I really like the parks that have fenced dog areas.

We rarely use pools, spas and that sort of thing but I do like a nice clean laundry with a sufficient number of washers and dryers. Also clean showers are a must. We always use the camp showers rather than getting our unit all steamy.

Friendly camp hosts, definitely a must.

All the best in your venture,

Sandra

10. rockerpeople

rockerpeople
    Expand Collapse

Hi to all posters who helped us immensely getting this project off the ground. We are open now, and customers so far really like the park. We are in the process of making suggested changes obtained by campers who have been in the park since we opened. To all posters who assisted us with suggestions, we are offering 30% off our overnight stay rate as our way of saying thanks for taking the time to offer your wisdom and insight. Simply let us know you were a poster to this site when you come in and we will apply the discount. The heated pool will open as early as possible in the Spring, so come in and eat at the Mexican Restaurant and take a swim.
    Thanks again,
    RVExpress RV Park, LLC
    Terry & Iwana Evans-Owners
    1469 Spur Drive
    Marshfield, Missouri 65706
    417 859-7837 417 766-6315
    http://www.rvexpressrvpark.com
    rvexpress@rvexpressrvpark.com

11. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

For all of you who made suggestions and recommendations to this couple to consider in building their new RV park, I am pleased to report that they listened, and took almost all the suggestions. We are currently staying at this park and it is, without question, the best overnight/short stay park we've encountered in 35 years of RVing. Easy ingress and egress, big friendly, huge pull through sites, free wi-fi and free cable TV, great landscaping, free continental breakfast, great pool, wonderful patio lounge area, good laundry facilities, and I could go on an on. The owners, Terry and Iwana Evans, have really outdone themselves in putting in all the things we asked for, and leaving out all the things we dislike. And they are superb hosts. The park has a wonderful Mexican restaurant on the premises and, to make it even better, if you are one of those who made suggestions and recommendations, they automatically give you a 30% discount off their already reasonable charges if you identify yourself. Even if you have to drive out of your way, if you are anywhere on I-44 near Marshfield, MO., you have gotta see this place! All parks should be like this.

12. michdoc

michdoc
    Expand Collapse

First of all, thanks for asking. That's a good sign right there that you are trying to do it right. In my case, I would like to see campgrounds offer an area where we could pull in at night, get some sleep, and hit the road again. In other words, essentially a "boondocking" area with few or no services. A fee of $5 to $10 to stay from dusk to dawn in a nice, open, grassy area. You would pick up a lot of the Walmart overnighters. I certainly would pay 5-10 bucks, but I don't like to spend $20 to $30 for a full service site just to get a meal and a few hours sleep.

13. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

Wow, how varied the desires of RVers! I would like a nice pull thru site with lots and lots of trees! I don't need my dish to get a signal, I am not there to sit in my trailer watching tv! I would love a full schedule of activities for myself and my grandchildren. A child friendly park is always a plus for me. I can't imagine camping with out a campfire, I think the fire defines the whole experience. I love the smell of a good fire! We have made so many great friends sitting around the fire exchanging adventures and advice! When we were in Florida we never found a park that allowed fires, must be a state law or something. It was like taking a shower without soap! So, with all the suggestions I am sure you must realize you can't please everyone! I just hope after all your efforts you have great success and enjoy your park for years to come!

14. RiverCabin

RiverCabin
    Expand Collapse

How about an easy accessible air hose for tire checks and inflation? (maybe next to dump station)

15. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

I guess we can see that there are so many different opinions that are often contradictory. Some people want campfires, others can't stand them. Some people want kid's programs, others don't need them. Some people want christmas in July, others hate the idea. so as a campground owner, you have to decide which kind of camper you want to serve and then you have to try to adress all the needs of your clientele. It goes without saying that there are a few basic requirements that are common to all campgrounds like clean washrooms with a sufficient number of facilities, well trained, polite staff etc. so, identify your market and serve it well.
    Good luck

16. Yorkieluvr

Yorkieluvr
    Expand Collapse

What great suggestions from everyone! Put those all together and you have paradise! I just wanted to answer the question about campfires in Florida. There are campgrounds in Florida that allow fires, there's no law that I'm aware of - maybe in the State Parks. But, we have had a really bad problem with brush fires. At the beginning of the summer this year, practically our whole county (among others in the state) was on fire - our wonderful firefighters fought fires for weeks, roads were closed, homes were lost. The causes of those fires varied, lightening, kids with nothing better to do - passing motorists throwing out cigarettes. Now normally, I too love a campfire, but after dealing with that for so many months, we didn't want to be anywhere near a fire. The last place we camped (in Tennessee) allowed fires, but some people had them going 24/7 and we couldn't even open our windows for all the smoke. Hopefully enough time will pass before our next round of fires and I can once again enjoy the smell and atmosphere of a campfire.