Newbie to rving

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Roxanne, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse

I'm hoping to rent a 25' model C to go to South Carolina. It will be my first time ever in an rv. I would appreciate any practical tips and suggestions for this journey.

Thanks.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Roxanne,

We would be happy to help. We need information from you. What city or place will you start the trip from, what roads do you plan to travel on, what place in SC will you visit, and what roads will you travel back home on? What is the amount of time you have to travel? A 25' class C is no problem to drive.

3. staramorcita

staramorcita
    Expand Collapse

I'm leaving from Jersey City, New Jersey to Mrytle Beach, South Carolina. I'm planning to take I-95 straight down with a stopover either in Maryland or Virginia. I have about 10 days to travel.

Thanks for your help.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Mileage down is 653. I would stop around Richard, Va. Look at post on site at Asland, Va. You have some road noise off I-95 but it is about half way down. I-95 is a hard road to find good sites on. One more probem is Washington and Baltmore beltways. This beltway is a mess 24/7 due to road traffic. No good way around this problem. As soon as you clear Washington you are OK.

You may wish to look at post under Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. Most parks are on Ocean or very close to it. If you wish to stay off water let me know. I know a good one in North Myrtle Beach. Lot of good information on sites down post.

You may wish to look at a trip down to Charleston, SC for a couple days. Great place to check out very old city. We spend a lot of time in Charleston.

Have a good trip down!

5. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: In response to this inquiry, John Blue suggested Charleston, S. C., as a great place to check out. Any recommendations on campgrounds at or near Charleston, John?

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver,

Yes we do! The Campground at James Island County Park has 125 sites and Oak Plantation Campground has 241 sites. Each has 30/50 amps, W, and S. You have more shade at Oak Plantation. The mileage to downtown Charleston is about the same to each camp site. County Park is very large and has a lot of trails to walk or bike on. Oak Plantation is also large and has a number of roads to ride on. Low road noise from two parks. In a way you can get into Oak Plantation off Hwy. 17 south of town with less road traffic. Need to plan some time here to take in the large number of places to see and great places to eat seafood. Each time we go we find more to see and do. Have a great time.

7. Guest_staramorcita

Guest_staramorcita
    Expand Collapse

:) John,

Thanks you so much for your input. The suggestions for campgrounds in Charleston were very helpful since I really do want to do a quick trip into Charleston. I was also happy to see that Ashland is quite close to Richmond. I need to pick your brain some more. Please help!

1. Do you suggest that I tow my car? I saw that one of the campgrounds in Charleston has trolley service into the historical areas (yahoo!!!) but what about the ones in Mrytle Beach? Could I not just get a taxi or use public transportation?

2. Do most of the campsites in Myrtle Beach allow campfires? Funny thing is that some places mention it and some don't.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Roxanne,

1. On the tow car, it would be nice to have. This may cost a lot of dollars to rental tow equipment. I will add phone numbers below for two sites. I think you can ride public transportation from each site, need to call and ask. You can go to and see more places in a car. Charleston has a lot of trolleys to see town from. They do a good job and take you to all the right places.

Use care on the tow car, some cars you can not tow on the ground and some you can. Wheels off the ground is safe.

The Oak Campground 843-766-5936.

The Campground At James Island County Park 843-795-7275.

2. On the fire rings at Myrtle Beach, I do not think this is a problem. Sand will not burn well.

Have a good trip!

9. Guest

Expand Collapse

We have a 38 ft. motorhome and its easy to enter and exit, I have stayed at pirate land and love it they have ocean view and great place for the kids the pool area is nice and they have a lazy river, I have been thier twice, Security is great and checks out everone coming and going. I would definitely stay thier again :)

10. Steve & Beth

Steve & Beth
    Expand Collapse

I agree, a car would be very useful in the Charleston area. However, you might check into a rental car at your destination. Some car rental companies will deliver the car to your camp ground. Compare the cost of the rental car to renting towing equipment. Keep in mind if you tow your car behind the motorhome you will be paying more in gas mileage. When we had a gas MH we lost about 3 mpg when we towed our Honda Accord.