Newbies Planning Oregon to Arizona Trip

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by IrishKahuna, Oct 21, 2023.

1. IrishKahuna

IrishKahuna
    Expand Collapse

Greetings! Wife and I just bought a 2018 Navion 24D. We are starting to plan our first trip from the central Oregon coast down to sunny Phoenix, AZ to see our kids. We are planning to leave around November 27. There are a lot of different routes to take and we would love some input from seasoned RV'ers. We are thinking of taking our time south down the 101 then cutting across through Lake Shasta down through Nevada into AZ. Other route ideas with awesome POIs and parks and are gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I'm not really familiar with the area, but we have been there a few times, I'm sure some CA natives will chime in with better info. It might help to know what you are interested in. will you want to visit amusmement parks, visit the boardwalk in San Diego, visit national parks like Yosemite, Sequoia/kings Canyon and Alcatraz, or are you more into doing a wine tasting and leasurly strolls along the beach?

IrishKahuna likes this.
  3. denny2

denny2
    Expand Collapse

I did a similar route last year. If you're taking the 101, make sure to stop by the Redwood National and State Parks. The trees are just breathtaking! When you cut across to Nevada, consider a slight detour to Lassen Volcanic National Park; it’s a lesser-known gem but totally worth it.

IrishKahuna likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome to the forum. For the past 12 years our travels have taken us all up and down the west coast and into Arizona and Nevada. Our most favorite place to spend time on the Oregon coast is at Winchester Bay just south of Reedsport. You have got to spend a few days at Winchester Bay RV Resort when convenient. As for a possible route to consider to Phoenix I offer the following:

101 South to 42 East to Roseburg - - -
    I-5 South to Shasta - Several RV Parks in the general area if staying - - -
    Continue I- 5 South to Redding - - -
    JGW RV Park just south of Redding right on the Sacramento River. Several other parks right in Redding also but JGW is "1 for us and well worth a few backtrack miles - - - 44 East out of Redding to Susanville - - - RV Parks to stay at, check them out
    395 South from Susanville to 40 East to Reno - - - Several RV parks all around the city
    Continue 395 South to Barstow - - - RV Parks in town area
    40 East out of Bartstow to Needles - - - Desert View RV Park recommended
    Continue 40 East to Flagstaff - - - Haven't stayed there, just passed thru going to Sedona. Depending on your schedule, and if needed, a stopover in Kingman, prior to reaching Flagstaff, at Fort Beale RV Park right off 40 is a good one - - -
    Stay on 40 and taketo17 South to Sedona . A must visit on this route, several very nice RV parks
    Continue17 South to Camp Verde - - - If no stopover in Sedona check out Distant Drums RV Resort
    A side trip up to the old, quaint town of Jerome is a must.
    Continue 17 South to the Phoenix area and you have arrived...:)

All roads mentioned are good ones and scenic also Have a great trip no matter which route you end taking. Be sure to post reviews of where you stay on the flip-side of the forum. Above all drive safely and watch out for the "crazies who drive amongst us":eek:

Regards, BankShot......(aka Terry)

:

IrishKahuna likes this.
  5. IrishKahuna

IrishKahuna
    Expand Collapse

National parks and wine tasting is more our thing. We like remote and beautiful nature spots. We are prefer low-key, less populated places. Not too big on crowds, etc.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Ok, thanks for info on your interests. Yosemite is a great visit, but can be crowded, and you should check the weather in November to see if snow has closed some of the access points.

For a beautiful, more quiet destination, i would check out Muir Woods National Monument. its not too far off 101, and has several hiking trails that are beautiful and an easy walk.

IrishKahuna and Paythebill like this.