Not a nice topic - rv toilet tissue

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Cheryl Fuller, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I was just one of those suckers who bought into the myth that we needed to have the special rv toilet paper, and of course, I had to have the 2 ply which was much more expensive than the 1 ply. Like I said, all the great input I have received from all of you has convinced me that I can use my favorite, Angel Soft in the motorhome. We do use chemicals in black tank but also periodically put Calgon down the toilet. We heard that it helps soften the water and break things up. Plus it makes it smell much better. Does anyone else do this or have any other "tips"?

2. PatJ3

PatJ3
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Sep 22 2005, 02:41 PM)
    Be sure the non-rv tp is septic tank safe as most campgrounds are still on a septic system.

I live in the country and also have a septic tank, although we are supposed to get sewage next summer. I have lived here 23 years and never had to use "special" TP.
    [snapback]2727[/snapback]

But have you ever "seen" what the inside of the septic tank looks like? That sludge it partly undissolved tp. Just being one house on one septic tank will not cause a lot of problems. But imagine a campground with - say - 100 toilets (sites with sewer + bath house). We have to clean our campground septic tank (it is a big one) once a year because of it. All tp is not biodegradeable and is not septic tank safe. You need to be concerned about the campground where you dump. Their charges (and ours) depend on all the maintenance charges - one of those is the septic tank. Your flushing does not make it disappear. Your water and sewer bill from home (if you are on city sewer) includes treatment of waste water and removal of it's "contents". Think about it the next time you flush the toilet. I am not saying you cannot use brands other than RV/Marine tp. I am just saying: read the label and be sure it is septic tank safe. Thanks for listening.

3. J59T

J59T
    Expand Collapse

I buy Cottonelle 1 ply tissue and after pottying we fill up the bowl with water (so extra water goes into the black tank).

We live in our 5th wheel year round as my hubby has to travel with his job. And as long as he flushes out the black tank at least once weekly, we've never had a problem.

I think as long as you use something that is 1 ply, you shouldn't have any problems and you do your flushing your black tank on a weekly basis or when you get ready to move it.

Happy trails,
    Jeri

4. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

5. Carly

Carly
    Expand Collapse

Scott paper has a type that has 'septic safe' on the lable. Comes regular and soft. Regular not so nice, soft slightly better.