NRVTA - RV owner training - has anyone take the course?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JLThompson, Feb 19, 2023.

1. JLThompson

JLThompson
    Expand Collapse

Hi all -
    We have been looking into the RV owners' course (maintenance, etc) at NRVTA (National RV Training Academy) in Texas. Has anyone on this board taken any of their courses? We would love to hear what your thoughts are on the experience.

They get excellent reviews and are an accredited school. My husband does a lot of the work (fixing & maintaining) on our trailer himself, but much of what he's learned has been through "Youtube University" and the RV shows/blogs we follow. We're wondering if the course offers enough beyond the very basics, in other words, is it worth the money for someone who already knows the very basics, but wants to dig a little deeper into the different systems (electrical, refrigeration/heating, water, propane, etc)?
    Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Lisa & Jim

2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Did you take/complete the NRVTA course? if yes, how was it?

3. JLThompson

JLThompson
    Expand Collapse

No, we have not. We were looking into it and I wanted to see if anyone who had taken it could give us their opinion of the training. It's very costly!
    LT

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i'm not sure if you are FMCA members and planning on attending the National Convention in August this year, but they also will be having a 2-day RV driving school for $249.00/couple. i dont know how this compares with what you are looking at, but here are the details:

https://www.fmca.com/rv-driving-school

Paythebill likes this.
  5. JLThompson

JLThompson
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for this info! Not sure what "FMCA" is (I will goole it), but the course I'm referring to is for maintenance on your RV (your can also get certified through their courses for being an RV Inspector, etc).
    LT

Paythebill likes this.
  6. allenR

allenR
    Expand Collapse

Hi All,

YES

I took the RV Fundamentals course April of 2021. Everything about it was first class. I started with RV's in 1978 and thought I knew a good bit. I learned that I had a LOT to learn. While the course was designed for all, I dont know anyone in the class that did not have to work and study to pass the course and the optional RV Technician exam. Hardest I have worked in a long time. Would love to go back for additional courses, but being in Maryland, the costs of travel, car rental, and lodging was almost as much as the class. I would highly recommend.

Al

Paythebill and weighit like this.
  7. JLThompson

JLThompson
    Expand Collapse

Allen,
    Thank you SO much for sharing this information. The reviews are overwhelmingly good/outstanding for this school, but it's so much better to actually hear from someone other than reading reviews. My husband may have a couple questions about your experience there - Is it OK if he posts some?
    It is super pricey, but does appear to be worth it.
    LT

Paythebill likes this.