Overnight Parking In Wal-mart And Truck Stops

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by seatboard, Feb 28, 2007.

1. seatboard

seatboard
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are fairly new at rv'ng. When you do avail yourself of these parking spaces at Wal-mart and Truck stops, do you leave the generator running all night or run off the batteries? I hope this is not a dumb question. :)

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Seatboard, we have never stayed in a WalMart parking lot, but have stayed once in a truck stop. We did not leave our generator running - only fired it up when needed. I don't think it would have disturbed our "neighbors" though because we were parked with the semi's and they were kept running all night. It is my understanding, from what I have gleaned from this forum, that you should always "ask premission" from the store manager, purchase something, never put your jacks down and if at all possible, do not put out slides. I would have no issue staying at WalMart, if it were neccessary it just hasn't been up to this point. We always stay in an rv park because I am a creature of comfort, and like to have the air-conditioning running and cable tv hooked up or the satellite dish set up. The one exception to that was when we were out in the middle of nowhere and Greg just felt that he could not safely continue to drive, and a truckstop loomed on the horizon. I am sure someone here can address your question though...

3. Lance-a-Lot

Lance-a-Lot
    Expand Collapse

We stayed one night at a truck stop and could not sleep because of the noise from the trucker's engines. We have never stayed at a Wal-Mart but would if needed. We have overnighted at Cabela's after spending the day shopping there. Their store has a special area for RV's and truckers to park. We did not run the generator all night. It was only used for a few minutes to power the microwave.

4. tinybluetj

tinybluetj
    Expand Collapse

The first thing that you need to do is go inside and get permission from the manager (ask at the service desk). Many Towns are restricting this pratice, and will kick you out. (I think it is local campgrounds getting annoyed ;) ) I have heard many stories of late night visits from very rude police officers. Plus, without permission, you are tresspassing.

I have never done it. We are in a TT, and if something were to happen, we could not get away without having to get out of the Trailer. I find that 30 bucks at a local campground is worth my personal saftey.

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

The few times we have stayed at Wal-Marts, I have always called ahead and talked with the manager, asking questions such as "is it okay for me to stay" and "where would it be best for me to park." I get permission and, when there, I run the generator as often as needed, and get out the next morning. I make it a point not to appear that we've "moved in", and avoid putting out lawn chairs, awnings, etc. I've only stayed at Wal-Marts a couple of times, and don't make a practice of it. And I always stock up while I am there as a way of saying "thank you."

6. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Not a dumb question. We run generator for those creature comforts. Most Walmarts will welcome you...we have needed a night over several times at the same Walmart :)

Kate

7. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(seatboard @ Feb 28 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]6291[/snapback]

My wife and I are fairly new at rv'ng. When you do avail yourself of these parking spaces at Wal-mart and Truck stops, do you leave the generator running all night or run off the batteries? I hope this is not a dumb question. :)

Only use the on-board genset to run the roof air in hot weather. Keep in mind that you will spend more dollars on the gasoline that runs the gen-set than the campgrounds.

A 4,000 watt onan sucks .6 gal's per hour to run under load. this translates to 6.0 gallons in 10 hours and at aproximately $3.00 per gallon you just spent $18.00 in 10 hrs or $43.00 in 24 hours! HOLLY MOLY ROCKY! imagine a 6,000 watt genset running a Dual AC system! $80.00 per day? I don't think so.

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the trunk!

Running off battery power eficiently requires a peek at the system you currently have in place. Most campers only have 1 or 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries and barely last 12 hours. In actuality I think a larger battery back (as much as the wallet can afford) as well as a VERY LARGE charger and as small a generator as possible for the charger is really the logical way to go.

Here is what I mean, and how I did my unit. I can go 1 week on battery power and recharge my massive battery pack in about 6-8 hours on about $1.50 in gas!

First off, by using in series 6Volt Premium Golf cart batteries, you get 3 times more battery power because 6Voly Golf cart batteries are made of a different and more powerful type of lead plates.

Link A, Scroll down to "INDUSTRIAL DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES" to understand why 2-6Volt batteries in series will have mor battery power then 6-8 reg 12 volt deep cycle batteries.
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_F...cle%20batteries

Link B,C,D compare the best names in batteries and their specs.

8. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

Only use the on-board genset to run the roof air in hot weather. Keep in mind that you will spend more dollars on the gasoline that runs the gen-set than the campgrounds fees are.

As an example, a 4,000 watt onan Genset sucks .6 gal's per hour to run under load. this translates to 6 gallons of gas in 10 hours at $3.00 per gallon you just spent $18.00 in 10 hrs or $43.00 in 24 hours! HOLLY MOLY ROCKY! imagine a 6,000 watt genset running a Dual AC system! $80.00 per day? I don't think so.

Now, running on battery power eficiently may requires a glance at how your battery system is configured and consider slight modifications. Most campers only have 1 or 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries offering about 160 minnutes of reserve capacity per battery, barely getting you through the night. Trickle charging for 8 hours via the gen-set costs about $25.00 in gas. WASTE!

If you modify the system with "In Series" 6Volt industrial Golf Car batteries, instead of conventional 12Volt deep cycle batteries you can get 3 times more battery run-time for the same cost, dimentions, etc. In series 6Volt Premium Golf Car (GC) batteries are made of a different type of lead and more powerful type of lead plates.[/b] Read this article to understand why they're much better a choice. Then, compare the dimensions as well as the reserve capacity of in-series 6Volt V/S Conventional Parallel 12Volt deep cycle batteries

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/content...rine_f.asp?js=1

Next, a conventional 10AMP charger will need about 4 days to recharge 2 GC Batteries, thus, a monster sized charger is recomended. The 2 most cost-efective choices are eother the Iota chargers or the Black & Decker 40 Amp Smart chargers DO NOT PUT A CONVENTIONAL BATTERY CHARGER INSIDE A CLOSED BATTERY COMPARTMENT UNLESS IT IS LABLED A SMART CHARGER OR YOUR BATTERIES COULD EXPLODE!

http://store.solar-electric.com/bach1.html
    http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide...ProductID=17925

Now assuming you were already replacing your existing batteries, you only have about $130.00 invested in the charger. Big bang for the buck. Make sure you understand how to make the 2-6volt into 12 volts via "IN-SERIES" wiring.

The last consideration is getting a cheap 800watt to 1,200 watt lightweight portable generator. The Honda 1,000Ei is a little pricy but is incredibly eficient. I purchased a 2-stroke 1,200 watt unit POWERSTAR PLUS at a local auto parts store for $99.00. It only weighs about 40 LBS and has a nice carying handle. It runs 8 hours on 1 Gallon of gas combared with about 6 gallons using my on-board genset. It's nice to have a minimum backup generator for emergencies and dry camping in the winter.

9. Joe-n-Doe

Joe-n-Doe
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at several WalMarts, generally when dead heading from point to point and when we don't know of any local RV Parks. Or, when we have had to repair a tire on our TV.

This link will take you to a site containing information on which WalMarts and other locations will either permit or restrict you from overnighting: Over Night RV Parking

It is recommended you get permission first and as been said avoid any appearance you are home steading or staying long term.

Running a genny all night in a truck stop is less likely to generate any complaints than running one at a WalMart. The last time we over nighted at a WalMart (when the tire was repaired), someone towing a TT ran their genny ALL night. It was not a "quiet" generator (and probably doesn't generate clean power) and even though they were parked 100 yards away from us, the noise from the generator was annoying. Could be that things like that drive local citizens to complain enough to force an end to such overnighting.

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Inverter powers electric only appliances, batteries run the lights, and propane takes care of the rest. Generator is necessary to run the air, but I try not to boon dock if that's needed.

Agree with the comment about the cost of fuel to run it. And if that fuel doesn't come from the onboard tank, you'll be out in the middle of the night filling up the generator's tank.

11. Lucille Moulton

Lucille Moulton
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(seatboard @ Feb 28 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]6291[/snapback]

We have a sign up in the Wal*Mart no overnight Camping. To many Rv dunp they sewer system in the parking lot. Why would you want to camp in a parking lot went the camp ground are so much nicer We also like camping in Marina. That fun until the people show up that own the boats trid up to the dock. If look could cut butter. They have full hoop up, and cheater.

12. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lucille Moulton @ Dec 1 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]9308[/snapback]

QUOTE(seatboard @ Feb 28 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]6291[/snapback]

We have a sign up in the Wal*Mart no overnight Camping. To many Rv dunp they sewer system in the parking lot. Why would you want to camp in a parking lot went the camp ground are so much nicer We also like camping in Marina. That fun until the people show up that own the boats trid up to the dock. If look could cut butter. They have full hoop up, and cheater.

Kant yoo spel? Ware dyd yu goe tew skewl?

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th year people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a real sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze dream of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

13. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

dbradley: Yew mad my da wiz this klever pes!

14. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ddbradley952 @ Nov 27 2007, 04:58 AM) [snapback]9242[/snapback]

Only use the on-board genset to run the roof air in hot weather. Keep in mind that you will spend more dollars on the gasoline that runs the gen-set than the campgrounds fees are.

As an example, a 4,000 watt onan Genset sucks .6 gal's per hour to run under load. this translates to 6 gallons of gas in 10 hours at $3.00 per gallon you just spent $18.00 in 10 hrs or $43.00 in 24 hours! HOLLY MOLY ROCKY! imagine a 6,000 watt genset running a Dual AC system! $80.00 per day? I don't think so.

Now, running on battery power eficiently may requires a glance at how your battery system is configured and consider slight modifications. Most campers only have 1 or 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries offering about 160 minnutes of reserve capacity per battery, barely getting you through the night. Trickle charging for 8 hours via the gen-set costs about $25.00 in gas. WASTE!

If you modify the system with "In Series" 6Volt industrial Golf Car batteries, instead of conventional 12Volt deep cycle batteries you can get 3 times more battery run-time for the same cost, dimentions, etc. In series 6Volt Premium Golf Car (GC) batteries are made of a different type of lead and more powerful type of lead plates.[/b] Read this article to understand why they're much better a choice. Then, compare the dimensions as well as the reserve capacity of in-series 6Volt V/S Conventional Parallel 12Volt deep cycle batteries

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/content...rine_f.asp?js=1

Next, a conventional 10AMP charger will need about 4 days to recharge 2 GC Batteries, thus, a monster sized charger is recomended. The 2 most cost-efective choices are eother the Iota chargers or the Black & Decker 40 Amp Smart chargers DO NOT PUT A CONVENTIONAL BATTERY CHARGER INSIDE A CLOSED BATTERY COMPARTMENT UNLESS IT IS LABLED A SMART CHARGER OR YOUR BATTERIES COULD EXPLODE!

http://store.solar-electric.com/bach1.html
    http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide...ProductID=17925

Now assuming you were already replacing your existing batteries, you only have about $130.00 invested in the charger. Big bang for the buck. Make sure you understand how to make the 2-6volt into 12 volts via "IN-SERIES" wiring.

The last consideration is getting a cheap 800watt to 1,200 watt lightweight portable generator. The Honda 1,000Ei is a little pricy but is incredibly eficient. I purchased a 2-stroke 1,200 watt unit POWERSTAR PLUS at a local auto parts store for $99.00. It only weighs about 40 LBS and has a nice carying handle. It runs 8 hours on 1 Gallon of gas combared with about 6 gallons using my on-board genset. It's nice to have a minimum backup generator for emergencies and dry camping in the winter.

15. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Dec 2 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]9320[/snapback]

Appears my last input did not record.

16. Reno

Reno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gsbogart @ Dec 2 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]9329[/snapback]

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Dec 2 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]9320[/snapback]

Appears my last input did not record.

Back to t he original question. We quite often overnight in Cracker Barrels. They get us for supper and usually for breakfast before we hit the road. We do ask permission when we pull in at night and have never been refused. Usually we're travelling with a group so they get 10 or more people eating there.