Parking Overnite In A Travel Plaza

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by sandi & vince, May 23, 2009.

1. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 28 2009, 10:22 PM) [snapback]17843[/snapback]

Finally we always blink our lights when a large vehicle (but not usually cars) has passed us. Only about a fourth of those vehicles flash back a thank you. Just as rarely do we get a blink when we have passed another vehicle. Guess this is a dying courtesy.

Maybe it is just where I am, but most of the trucks that I "flash" to let them know to pull over after passing blink their lights in return.

As to CBs, I am traveling with my family, and many times (most of the time) the language used on the radio is rather "colorful" -- so I don't hook up the CB anymore. Although I never thought about "announcing" to the trucks that I am coming into a rest stop and asking for ideas for parking, that seems like a pretty good idea. Most rest stops direct trucks, trailers, RVs, oversize vehicles into the same area, the "trucker's area". More than once I've pulled in and found all the obvious spots taken, or I take a "trucker's spot", and later find that I could have pulled farther up to another spot to be more out of the way. Problem is, there is rarely room to backup or turn around, so if you go too far you may be completely out of luck.

Which is one of the reasons why I might pull up next to another RV, even if there are other spots. I don't know, safety in numbers? This was talked about in another forum (or this one), about RVs pulling right next to someone who is boondocking.

2. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Tom,
    If we have the Grandkids or guests with us I use a single earphone and squelch the radio high.
    Lets me listen to the road and still participate in conversations in the motorhome.

3. YourGoodLuck

YourGoodLuck
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 24 2009, 09:34 AM) [snapback]16561[/snapback]

You will find this from time to time. Some truck drivers do not like RV equipment anyplace and others drivers are RV people. The Flying-J has places for RV's to park and other do not. Only problem is the noise off all the diesel engines in parking lot running all the time. Some truck stopped will block you from truck side but ones that do this may have a RV side to park in. No two places are the same anyplace we go.

At one Flying-J truck diesel fuel pit in west a driver told me I was in his fuel pit and I should get out. I told him what he could do with my fuel hose and he walked off. I could see five open pits at that time.

This is by far the most intelligent response I've seen to this type of question.

4. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 29 2009, 01:22 AM) [snapback]17843[/snapback]

Finally we always blink our lights when a large vehicle (but not usually cars) has passed us. Only about a fourth of those vehicles flash back a thank you. Just as rarely do we get a blink when we have passed another vehicle. Guess this is a dying courtesy.

Well, as I am reading these comments I realize that you all are talking about me "that disrespectful younger generation". While you are flashing the truck to let them know that it's OK to move back in, and they give you a thank you flash, I, on the other side (on coming traffic) think that I am getting two vehicles flashing me to let me know that the cops are just up the road clocking speeders! lol

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Never had problems with truck drivers, I am polite with them and they are polite with me; I am generally stopping one or two nights in my way from Canada to Florida and I have never been brushed off once.
    I might have been lucky or you are travelling on a bad sector..