Parks With Lots Of Pop Ups

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Happy Camper X2, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Went to a park this weekend and saw more pop ups than I have seen at once in a couple years. Along with pop ups came kids. There were kids running all over having a great time. Maybe it is where I have been going but I don't see it much and it was good to see. What does everyone else see when camping. Do you still see pop ups or everything but...

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Particularly at popular summer destination parks, I usually see a pretty good mix on weekends, including many pop-ups, smaller TT's, and kids. During the week though, it leans more towards motorhomes and 5'vers with an older crowd

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

My guess a lot of the popups were the younger holiday only campers.

I agree with Dutch_12078 weekday, off season and non destination type parks = older crowd and bigger Rv's. Of course there's always exceptions. B)

Mike

4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We seldom have pop up's here at our CG. We are not a destination park but mostly for long term folks. We welcome all overnighters in any type of rig. My favorites are the bus conversions.

5. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Over the years we find that when we go to a inexpensive C/G we see alot more kids... popups....and messy campers. We feel if you spend more you get more of a quality park.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 7 2014, 01:57 PM) [snapback]37183[/snapback]

We feel if you spend more you get more of a quality park.

With all due respect, I have to disagree. We have traveled over 40,000 miles in the past three and a half years and we have found a number of quality parks for $25 and many not-very-good ones for $65. Parks near major cities, particularly in the East, feel they can charge exorbitant amounts because there simply aren't many alternatives. The price they charge often has little to do with what you get in return. OTOH, out west you can find some absolutely fantastic parks for surprisingly little.

I will agree that the higher the price, the greater the pretentiousness of the park. Some people seem to equate snootiness with quality; we don't.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Some of the nicest parks we been in have been state and national parks, typically in the mid $20/night range. One of the noisiest, kid laden parks we've been in recently was an $82/night KOA near Washington, DC. Price does not always reflect "quality", depending on your definition of the word. To my mind, pop-ups do not reflect on a park's quality, one way or the other, nor do tents.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(docj @ Jul 7 2014, 05:51 PM) [snapback]37185[/snapback]

With all due respect, I have to disagree. We have traveled over 40,000 miles in the past three and a half years and we have found a number of quality parks for $25 and many not-very-good ones for $65. Parks near major cities, particularly in the East, feel they can charge exorbitant amounts because there simply aren't many alternatives. The price they charge often has little to do with what you get in return. OTOH, out west you can find some absolutely fantastic parks for surprisingly little.

I will agree that the higher the price, the greater the pretentiousness of the park. Some people seem to equate snootiness with quality; we don't.

Speaking from my home state of CT, yes a lot the high cost has to do with few alternatives but we also have a high cost of living, some of the highest taxes in the country, and one of the most regulated states in the country too, this all translates to an awful lot less for your camping dollar. I think a lot of the other North East States are in the same shape.

Mike

9. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Well ...I can't speak for state parks because we never visit them due to our length restriction. IMHO we see more kids with parents in pop-ups at cheaper campgrounds.....then anywhere else. Although there are kids in more expensive parks but fewer pop-ups ....and better behaved kids.

Just my observations.....

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 8 2014, 10:27 AM) [snapback]37192[/snapback]

Although there are kids in more expensive parks but fewer pop-ups ....and better behaved kids.

On this point I will have to totally disagree. At higher priced parks you may see fewer popups but I don't see any correlation between the behavior of the kids and the price the parents are paying for the site. In fact, there may well be an inverse correlation between the affluence of a family and the obnoxiousness of their "entitled" children.

From your posts it is apparent that you equate money with "classiness" both in type of RVs at a park and, now, in the behavior of the children the RV carries. My experiences in life have not convinced me that these are related virtues. I'm quite content to mingle with the "lower classes"; I'll let you pay the higher prices to mingle with the Prevost owners and other higher class folks.

11. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Yeah....Unfortunately in our society ....money does create different classes. Also kids behavior does vary from class to class. Sorry if you don't agree with my observations.

Obviously you and I frequent different types of campgrounds in our travels....and mingle with different types of folks. We have worked hard and raised our kids to be responsible adults and now we like to travel and enjoy our senior years. We prefer quiet campgrounds with limited amount of kid traffic and noise ...that's OUR choice. We don't look to mingle with Prevost owners....but if we meet folks along the way who own a PREVOST.... it doesn't matter to us. The brand of coach someone owns doesn't make them a better person. We all put our pants on one leg at a time.

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Your options are pretty clear then, stay away from destination campgrounds that attract the younger set. Look for parks that bill themselves as 55+.

13. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Dutch....we try our best.

14. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 8 2014, 08:27 AM) [snapback]37192[/snapback]

Although there are kids in more expensive parks but fewer pop-ups ....and better behaved kids.

Tiffinman, from my 25 years experience as a police officer in London, England I can unequivocally state that the worst behaved kids I ever dealt with were those who lived in an area I policed for a few years where the cheapest houses started with a $2,000,000 price tag (and that was 11 years ago). Some of the most respectful, well behaved kids came from families with few means, in hard trodden working class areas but who treasured what they had. The wealthy kids, like their parents, felt they had an entitlement and I was a mere surf only to be seen when they had a problem.

Wealth does not necessarily breed polite, well mannered children. Equally, lower income areas do not always generate squealing, kids with no manners.

Just my observations based on experience and dealing with a broad cross section of the public (on both sides of the Atlantic).

15. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Hutch....This is not England . Its the USA. Pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV ....tell me from what class .... most of the misguided kids come from.

I was born.... grew up.....lived and worked in NYC.......I've seen it all.

16. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

It's the same in the USA also. Sure there are some poor folks that have no class but some of the worst manners we see in this CG are from people that think they are better, richer, more important than the others that have a less expensive RV. I would rather have the less expensive RV's here with the families that can afford them than the big fancy rigs whose owners seem to think that because they are rich they are above all the rules of courtesy. Their dog doesn't have to be on a leash, they don't have to clean up after themselves or their pet, they think they can park their car in the middle of the drive without worrying about whether they are in the way of someone else and lots of other things that people with manners should do.

17. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Dalsgal...I would have to respectably disagree with your assumption about owners of big fancy rigs not following c/g rules. I very rarely see that.
    What I do notice quite a bit is family's with kids tend to look the other way when their kids are breaking the rules. They have the attitude that their kid is perfect and can do no wrong and whatever they want. Just the other day we had kids playing baseball I front of our coach hitting the ball towards our site. Also riding their bikes thru our site to get to the playground / pool. When I approached the father ... I was told I was being unreasonable to worry about my windshield and that my insurance would cover any damage...... REALLY.....MY INSURANCE ??? The " quiet hours " also don't seem to apply to family's with kids . I'd much rather deal with a dog off a leach then a bunch of un-supervised misguided kids. Then when you notify management .... YOU became the " bad guy ".

18. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

You are free to disagree but we manage a CG and I know what I see with my own eyes. You don't see it because you are a camper and not a manager. Anyone that stays here knows that all they have to do is let me know about rule infractions and I will put a stop to it without hesitation. Quiet time goes for everyone, dogs on leash and clean up applies to everyone and leaving your site clean when you leave is the same for everyone. I don't stay on people about it but I do expect everyone, rich or poor, to show common courtesy.

19. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Well.......it sounds like you have your C/G under control and congrats to you and your team. Considering that your a manager and not mobile .....you may not get to see what goes on in other c/g's. We travel for 7+ months every year and get to visit ALOT of parks. This is our experience and its common in most parks with unruly kids. Regardless what the park cost is ...or if your in a PREVOST or POP-UP we expect everyone to abide by the rules....including their precious children.

20. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I are the only employees here. We have no team. We lived in our RV for about 9 years so we have been in many different CG's and we saw the same problem in almost all of them. We expect good manners from everyone, whether they are high class snobs or poor folks that live in their RV because they can't afford anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.