Pets & Parks

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Procarver, Nov 19, 2010.

1. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I am trying to stay positive here, but I just have to say that I am not fond of animal haters. The fact that you have /had a dog and then left them in a kennel when you went out to explore the outdoors says to me you don't care about your animal. I love dogs. I love mine. I volunteer at the local Zoo. Dogs love to go on RV trips. It is dog heaven. And my life when I take my dog with me on an RV trip is improved by the dog being with me. One of the attractions of RVing is I can take her.

Since the two "newby's" seem to want to sanitize RV parks my question is, why don't you stay in an immaculate hospital-like hotel. I cannot understand why you would want to put up with the dirt at RV parks.

All that said, I also am put off by land mines dog owners don't pick up. I also do not like uncontrolled dogs barking constantly. We are very careful that ours keeps mostly quiet and her messes are cleaned up.

Thankfully I think the chance of RV parks going to to dog, smoke (I am a non smoker), and noise free mode is zero and none.

Lastly, could you please give me a heads up on any distinctive markings on your two coaches so I can make sure I don't park next to you all ever.

2. possumtrotky

possumtrotky
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Nov 19 2010, 09:47 PM) [snapback]24906[/snapback]

Don't think you are going to find a lot of sympathy with this post. My dog is the reason I spent $300,000 on a coach. I could go an awfully lot of great places in style for that kind of money, but my dog couldn't, hence I RV. I can't envision an RV park that could succeed with a strict "NO PET" policy. I believe fully 50% of RVers, especially full timers, have a pet of some kind. Others feel just about as strongly about excluding children and campfires. Add in those who would like to see "No Alcohol" the law of the park and there wouldn't be too many RVers left for a very restrictive park to rent to. I think you have a request that will go nowhere fast.

I think thats a expensive dog house. I wouldn't want it when u are thru with it. I also do not think dogs and cats should be in a park with me. seperated the two and animal lovers keep your muts out of my sight while doing their business.

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

based on a few years observation, mutts accompany closer to 10% 0f campers, not 50%.

Actually, every demographic study that I have seen (Escapees,FMCA, etc) show 40%-50% of rv travelers travel with pets. Perhaps these studies are skewed because they mostly concentrate on full time/snowbird rv travelers. These resuts would be in order, though, since 39% of American households have at least one dog (Humane Society).

Maybe we are all getting grumpy as we age, or maybe we are all turning into activists. In our travels this year I have seen people complaining confrontationally about no pets allowed, pets allowed, kids too loud,campfires too smoky, generators too loud, etc. I've watched campground neighbors scream at workers because the wifi was too slow or the pool water was too cold. I have been hassled by a group of tenters claiming I was ruining the world burning diesel and by a neighbor in an rv park that complained because her family was vegetarian and I was cooking meat on a grill and they claimed the odor upset them. Another woman was in an rv office in tears because there were no campsites designated as non smoking. I think I will keep taking my "chill pills" and roll with whatever comes my way. My rv has wheels and I can go wherever I feel wanted.

4. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

I have to take a chill pill too. I felt bad all night about writing me semi unkind post last night. I too have seen a number of confrontations in the last year. I just don't want to become part of the problem. My wife has a saying, "The World is full of a^&%^&%s, just try not to be one of them." So now I am going to concentrate on being mellow.

5. Procarver

Procarver
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Nov 22 2010, 07:12 PM) [snapback]24947[/snapback]

Just saying, been covered in a bunch of other topics here already.
    I know my eyesight is really bad, but I don't see where I spelled it wrong. "Pro" as in professional, "carver" as in what most of us will be doing with the turkey on Thursday?

On my computer the "v" was a "y", minor detail.

6. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I would assume these newbies are those that like to come onto a forum and get a bunch of &^%* stirred up to stroke their egos. If they are left alone they will go somewhere else. Just my experience in these things.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Nov 23 2010, 05:01 PM) [snapback]24954[/snapback]

I would assume these newbies are those that like to come onto a forum and get a bunch of &^%* stirred up to stroke their egos. If they are left alone they will go somewhere else. Just my experience in these things.

I don't think procarver meant to be that way. His first post may have come on a little heavy-handed, but after that he was only just responding to remarks made by us pet lovers.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The World is full of a^&%^&%s, just try not to be one of them."

You married a very smart lady. Me too, but sometimes it is hard to heed their advise.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

The December 2010 issue of Motorhome Magazine featured articles about people who travel with pets, and suggested pet etiquette.

(and, if I may be so bold as to brag...... the article of the person who travels with a cat was..... ME!!!!!!)

JJ

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If is online, please post a link to it. I am giving you a great excuse to do so.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 25 2010, 02:24 PM) [snapback]24970[/snapback]

The December 2010 issue of Motorhome Magazine featured articles about people who travel with pets, and suggested pet etiquette.

(and, if I may be so bold as to brag...... the article of the person who travels with a cat was..... ME!!!!!!)

JJ

JJ,

What a great article! I had not found time to read the Dec. issue, but I as soon as I read your post I got the issue and read it. Your part was very interesting. It's nice you got to be a part of this. Congratulations.

TX

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Nov 25 2010, 12:48 PM) [snapback]24972[/snapback]

If is online, please post a link to it. I am giving you a great excuse to do so.

Sorry, there isn't a "public" link, I already tried. They mailed me a free copy. I can email you the article if you PM me.

JJ

13. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 25 2010, 02:24 PM) [snapback]24970[/snapback]

JJ

We travel with two cats named Bill and Bob. They are great traveling companions.

14. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RFCN2 @ Nov 23 2010, 11:01 AM) [snapback]24952[/snapback]

My wife has a saying, "The World is full of a^&%^&%s, just try not to be one of them."

She's a very wise woman. :)

15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Nov 26 2010, 07:57 AM) [snapback]24975[/snapback]

We travel with two cats named Bill and Bob. They are great traveling companions.

My cat is starting to be ok with it. He hated it at first, constant MEOW MEOW MEOW! Now he just grudgingly goes along with it.

JJ

16. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I had the same problem with my wife in the begining, but now she is the first to be ready to go.

17. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 26 2010, 06:30 PM) [snapback]24978[/snapback]

My cat is starting to be ok with it. He hated it at first, constant MEOW MEOW MEOW! Now he just grudgingly goes along with it.

JJ

Yeah, we had a cat named Casey that would start in at about 100 miles. At 150 I would give up and stop for the night. Now at 150 miles I still stop for the night. I learned a lot from Casey. Bill and Bob get in their carrier and just sleep until we stop.

18. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Someone just sent me a PM asking for the article. I read the message then I must have clicked the wrong thing because the message disappeared. I don't remember who sent the message.

Would you please resend, and this time include an email where I can send the article? I cannot attach the article on a PM.

JJ

19. MrsIslander

MrsIslander
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 20 2010, 12:21 AM) [snapback]24908[/snapback]

We also bought our motorhome so that we could take our animals with us.

:D We, too, did the same. They are our "kids" and if they can't go, we can't go. Period. They make our trips so much more fun! I do not have idle hands due to them. They are also the reason our coach is so clean... my hands are not idle with them around. I clean constantly and wipe hinnies and paw after walks and potty breaks. We are responsible pet owners, picking up after them inside and out. Too bad there are other pet owners that do not so much :angry:

20. Gwinn1952

Gwinn1952
    Expand Collapse

It always amazes me the number of people who complain about various things while they travel. It appears that nothing makes them happy outside the confines of their own home. In my 30 years of traveling we have done so with and without pets, with and without children. By far I was happier when I was with my pets and children at the same time. We even have a pet stroller for the 2 mini dachshunds so we can go to craft shows etc. We own a 5th wheel (to have enough room for 3 dogs) and quiete frankly have more complaints about restrictions on where I can walk my dogs....we never leave them unattended to go to attractions etc. We reprimand our dogs if they bark, pick up after them and yes wonder why some owners leave their pets unattended in parks, don't pick up after them. It gives a bad name for the rest of us. We now own a 7 month Golden Retriever.......all three dogs just love camping. Sitting outside and watching what is going on in the park. We are always out walking our dogs and really enjoy the people we stop and talk with......thank you to those individuals who make our day. As for those who just frankly complain about any noise....camping is probably not for you as just being outdooors is such a joy....the beauty and the sounds of nature etc. Many times we get to a park and wonder about the people who come to camp but never get out of there MH or FifthWheel....why do you camp? You need to get out and socialize....that is what life is all about. But to those individuals who have bad mannered pets and might I also say bad mannered children....or the root of the problem bad mannered parents.....I too wish you'd stay home. Between not picking up after your pets or your children stuffing the toilets with paper or throwing garbage around....it is your job to watch and take care of not the parks.