Recycling - Why Not Readily Available In Parks Or Campgrounds?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bumpkinsnana, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

This is one of those topics that, when it started last summer during my traveling season, I decided to hold off on posting my thoughts until winter. I had hoped to see more posts and opinions before I chimed in with my views.

Although I have covered all areas of the country over the years, I have limited my trips to the middle and northwestern parts of the country the past 3 years and the northeast the 2 years before that. I only mention this to let you know that my most recent experience with park recycling is only about half the country. It is possible that areas I have not been to in more than a few years have improved their recycling. That said, the vast majority of RV parks I have stayed at have little or no recycling. By "little", I mean the park may have one bin for one certain type of recyclable material. The most common single item is aluminum cans. I only occasionally see bins for paper, glass, or plastic. I can remember only one park (Eagle Nest(?) in Polson, ID last summer) had bins for paper, plastic, glass, and aluminum cans. It was recycle heaven! Even though the bins were conveniently located at the park's entrance, I still wonder how many park customers took advantage of the fine service.

While I appreciate and accept Westernpark's economic reason for not recycling, I think his situation is the exception in today's world. As for the other "anti" recycling views, they seem to fall into two general categories: (1) It's a waste (pun intended) of time and (2) What's in it for me?

1. I shouldn't be surprised that there are still people who think global warming is a hoax - the Flat Earth Society still exists. Why should we believe 90+% of the world's scientists are concerned when most of the opposing "scientists" are funded by the likes of the fossil fuel industry? On the bright side, there are a surprising number of opponents (including many of your leaders) who have recently become much less diametrically against recycling and the idea that there is a global warming problem. By the way, I do question the statement that global temperatures have not risen in the past 10 years. Every study I have seen would seem to disagree. As for the statement that most of the stuff we attempt to recycle still ends up in landfills, I had also heard that years ago. The problem back then was twofold: intitial programs were not well thought out and, as mentioned in other posts, there was a lot of contamination. Both these problems still exist to some extent, but there has been vaste improvement through better planning and education of the public. The average 8 year old in my neighborhood can figure out what goes in those different bins at the recycling center. It is almost sad that an adult won't make the effort to learn how to recycle.

2. What is even sadder it that any individual (not a business like an RV park) would not recycle unless they have something to gain (usually money). I guess my parents raised me wrong - I thought you were supposed to do something because it was the right thing to do - not for a reward (money). I guess if your mindset is that the people concerned about global warming are after "money and power", you must believe that the only possible incentive anyone can have is "what do I get out of it?". Evidently, I am the real "schmuck" in this instance. I not only put some time and effort into recycling but even spend money to do so - we have to buy special "blue" bags for our recyclables.

What I do may not make a difference, but I am at least trying.

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Feb 16 2009, 11:57 PM) [snapback]15173[/snapback]

What I do may not make a difference, but I am at least trying.

A story that warms my heart.

JJ

It Made a Difference to That One
    By Richard J. Bauman

Last edited: Sunday, January 25, 2004
    Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002

Think the little things you do don't make a difference? This article will help change your mind.

Two men were walking toward each other on an otherwise deserted beach. One man was in his early 20s, the other obviously much older. The smooth damp sand was littered with starfish, washed onto the land during high tide. They were stranded there when the tide ebbed. Thousands of starfish were doomed to die in the warm morning sun. The younger man watched the older man pick up starfish one at a time and toss them back into the ocean, giving them a chance to survive. The young man thought, “Why is he doing that? How foolish. He can’t save them all.” As they came near one another, the younger one felt compelled to point out to the older man the futility in his action. “You know,” he said, “you can’t save them all. Most of them will die here on the sand. What you are doing really won’t make any difference.” The older man studied the young man for a moment. Then he bent down, picked up a starfish and tossed it into the water. He smiled at the young man and said, “It made a difference to that one.” Then he walked on, picking up starfish and tossing them back into the sea.

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

That was cool JJ ! Thanks !
    Cheers B)

4. sunbelt cupcake

sunbelt cupcake
    Expand Collapse

Yes, sadly we have run across this probably in many parks in the state of Florida at KOA's and a escambia county run park. I wish all parks recycled