Search engine

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Fitzjohnfan, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

So, on another RV thread someone asked about this rv park:

sumpter oaks florida

I put this into the search bar without the Florida and received no results. I did a google search and found this park is in Bushnell FL. I looked on this site for parks in Bushnell and found it right away (spelled correctly, sumter).

Is there any way to make the search feature more forgiving for spelling mistakes?

Thanks,
    Chris g.

Paythebill likes this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for your input. Since I am not a programmer, I do not know if search engines can be programmed to have a certain degree of forgiveness. I do know there are several ways of entering information into this search engine that will not yield the expected results. For example, if you search for Riverview it will not find River View, and vice versa, but it will find both St and Saint when you enter either spelling. Course the best thing is to be sure you are entering the correct spelling, and if you do not get the desired results, try to enter the terms in a slightly different way to see if that finds what you are looking for. And remember that anytime you don't find what you are looking for, let us know and maybe we will be able to locate it for you.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Fuzzy logic" is the term used for determining how closely a search engine matches the request to the database. If it's made to be too "fuzzy", then many more results are produced that can obscure the real desired result. Every search engine programmer struggles with how tightly to match the searches to the requests, and it's likely that none of the choices are ever exactly right for everyone.

The RV Life/Campgrounds website search engine uses a common technique called "partial match" that displays matching results as each character is entered. In the screen capture below, note that only "sum" was entered resulting in a large number matches with the correct one the fourth entry down. Searching that way does minimize the risks of misspelling, but as shown, you need to ferret out the correct response to your full request.

Selection_049.jpg

Paythebill and Onemoretrail like this.