small class b

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by glassgirl, Dec 7, 2003.

1. glassgirl

glassgirl
    Expand Collapse

after being without an rv for several years, we have downsized and started traveling with a wonderful and convienent great west classic van. however i have heard that some campgrounds and rv resorts discriminate aginst small "b's" by putting us in the less desirable spaces or not allowing us in some rv resorts at all. is this true? common? we havent had this van long enough to check out many places, but i certainly like this forum. i hope i will hear that what i am asking is crazy.

2. Dave P

Dave P
    Expand Collapse

Not to worry, only a very few high-end RV resorts have restrictions against B, and shorter A and/or C motorhomes. I have would say that only a few dozen of the 12,000+ parks listed in TL directory have those type of restrictions, and if they have such restrictions, look for it to be clearly mentioned in the park listings. As far as being put in 'less desirable' spaces, we feel lucky if we ever get a 'desirable' site for our 38ft MH.
    Most RV parks try to fit customers into the sites they have available, and they often have a limited number of larger (usually higher priced) sites, which they try to assign to the larger rigs. If a larger, or more desirable site is available, and you ask for it, you should have no problem getting it, but you should expect to have to pay that site's higher rental price.
    You should be welcomed at more than 99% of all campgrounds and RV parks. The folks with larger rigs are the ones with problems finding suitable sites. They need adequate access roads, larger sites, room to manuever, more tree clearance, etc. So they are much more restricted than you. Your B can get in practically anywhere. Count yourself in luck!

3. Rockhill Manor

Rockhill Manor
    Expand Collapse

Treasure lake an upscale MH resort in
    Barnson let me in with a 21 foot TT!

I was parked between two giant diesel
    pushers! I was a little intimidated, but
    as I was unhitching and leveling, everyone
    came over asking questions and pitching
    in to help.

They welcome anyone that is camping and
    traveling to see the countryside.

I had the best time in this RV park

4. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

:blink: :blink:

Dave P, who responded to this post earlier, is absolutely correct. Smaller Class Bs (or Class Cs for that matter), have no problem in getting into almost any campground. The problem is with the very large Class As. We have a 40 footer with a toad and it has been our experience that Trailer Life and Woodalls is still rating like everyone in the world tent camped, or had a popup or small Class B or Class C. They do not take into consideration the needs of the larger Class A units such as overhangs, ingress and egress, wideness of roads, length and depth of sites, turning radius, and so forth. Consider yourself lucky--you will have far fewer problems with a Class B than those of us who drive the big rigs, and you will be just as welcome insofar as your fellow campers are concerned as anyone else.

5. BSquare

BSquare
    Expand Collapse

I am happy to read the replies to this query. We have an older 1989 Encounter 37', recently I've noticed so many new shiny coaches on the road that I was kind of fearful about going out in our old paid for dearie which we love. It is comforting to think the demeanor of campers hasn't changed, we've always found them to be the friendliest folks in the world without any pretention regarding what type of camper one was camping in. I think we'll go south for the winter now.

6. seniortraveler

seniortraveler
    Expand Collapse

We've never met anyone who cares what you are driving. The RV society is the most classless society that exists. Prevosts park alongside tents; and Bounders park alongside Newells. The only people who ever demonstrate any bias are those who operate the so-called upscale campgrounds and they do so out of some sense of the need to protect their "image." I don't know of a single camper who feels this way; only some of the upscale "resorts." Frankly, you have far fewer problems than we do and we drive a high-end, big, luxury coach. We're always having problems finding suitable spaces because Trailer Life and many campground owners still don't think in terms of the needs of the bigger units. What the industry truly needs is some rating system that makes folks like you (with the smaller units) and folks like us (with the bigger units) well aware of any problems we may encounter at a specific campground. Fortunately, we have this website. Unfortunately, the other rating services still don't understand.

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Glassgirl,

We drive a large class A coach and have no problems with any class RV. You can go into places that we can not get into due to small roads and low trees. We park next to pop up's and large Prevost and never has a problem yet. We do go to class A only resorts, but only have a small number to pick from. RV people are out to see the USA and have a good time. Have a good time on the road in that class B.

8. baldguy

baldguy
    Expand Collapse

:( I want to tell you a story that demonstrates that it is not WHAT you drive, but the people in the park that make all the difference. We drive a large Class A, high-line motorhome and love staying at Outdoor Resorts of America because they are such quality resorts. We have stayed in Outdoor Resorts throughout the country and have always met the nicest people and enjoyed the outstanding quality of the resorts. Our first negative experience with Outdoor Resorts occurred recently at the Port St. Lucie location in Florida. We checked in, parked our vehicle, and immediately were met by hostile resident/owners. These people, or at least some of them, pay big bucks for their sites, and then spend big bucks on improving them and, we found, some of them resent "renters" and act accordingly. So, you see, it's not what you are driving that counts! No matter what you are driving, if you meet jerks, you meet jerks!