Surge Protection

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by mastercraft, Aug 19, 2006.

1. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

I am looking to upgrade my current inexpensive surge protector on my 5th wheel to possibly a hard wired version. I have found 2 online: VIP Industries smart surge and Technology Research's Surge Guard. Does anyone have one of these products or is there another product out there that might be better?

2. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mastercraft

Have you tried a google search for "eletrical surge protection device for rv's" ?? I did and found a ton of information on them, Don't know about the brands your looking at but I can say spending $300.00 dollars for surge protection is worth protecting the rig. Good Luck & Happy Trails. :)

3. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Meterman,
    Thank you for the input. I already have a cheap one, but would like to upgrade and have found the 2 products on the internet and would like some input from others on if I need to upgrade to one of these which are hardwired.

4. OldSoldier

OldSoldier
    Expand Collapse

Wish I could help you with hardwired protectors. The in-line one I have is not a cheapie and has, in my opinion, saved my rig at least once already. It is a good one. I'm concerned a bit about its security, but am devising a secure way to set it up.

About a month ago the voltage in our CG dropped below 95 volts, my procector isolated us, painful but glad. The rig across from us caught fire in the AC unit and inside the roof adjacent to it. About 12 campers responded with extinguishers and managed to unplug the rig and put the fire out before the fire department could respond.

I am convinced that my surge protector saved me from a similar possibility. I am a beleiver.

Good luck in your serch.

:)

5. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Old Soldier,
    Do you know the brand of yours? I witnessed what would happen with a surge at Myrtle Beach to a Motorhome. I wanted to get a better one than I have, because mine does not have enough joule capacity. Thank you for your input.

6. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Meterman46 @ Aug 19 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]4871[/snapback]
    Hey Mastercraft

Have you tried a google search for "eletrical surge protection device for rv's" ?? I did and found a ton of information on them, Don't know about the brands your looking at but I can say spending $300.00 dollars for surge protection is worth protecting the rig. Good Luck & Happy Trails. :)

mastercraft,

the sites I had looked at sold both the outside plug in and some I believe were what you asking about, That is inline inside the camper (hardwired) here a link to one of them

http://www.dyersonline.com/c-112-voltage-monitors.aspx Just was trying to help.If I can. :)

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

You may wish to look at VIP Enterprises (www.viprv.com) Pensacola, FL. The 50 amp unit has a rating of 3640 joules, time delay, low and high voltage shut down, 220 volt protection, bypass switch, and parts are designed for simple plug and play if you need they. Three year warranty, and cost $389. This model EMS-HW50B is hard wired inside RV power panel, stops people who steal them. Web site also has unit that go outside on power pole. Size is 9-1/2 L x 5 W x 4-1/2 D and comes with a remote display. Web site has 30 amp models and you can down load features and wring information from site. This should cover everything you need to know.

8. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Thanks John for the input. I was leaning toward the one from VIPRV. It seemed to have the most features. Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic.

9. Tundra

Tundra
    Expand Collapse

I have done a fair bit of research on this topic as well. I have bought the PT30 from VIP. The service I received was excellent and would recommend them in a heartbeat. It seems the Progessive Industires Unit I bought is a little better than the other units. Here is a comparision chart

viprv.com/ems/ems-chart.htm

I have not used it yet as I am laid up with a broken leg but it seems to be the best unit for my needs as per the research

10. OldSoldier

OldSoldier
    Expand Collapse

Mastercraft,

In case you haven't madee up your mind here is a link to the protector I use. I have the 30amp model; based on the size of your rig I suspect you'll want to consider the 50 amp mode.

here is the link http://www.campingworld.com/browse/product...ID=2279:src=FPC

Not sure how to embed the link. It's at Camping World under Electrical and Surge Protectors

Good luck
    :)