Taking Loonnnngggg Trips

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DXSMac, Sep 23, 2007.

1. DIRTDIGGLER

DIRTDIGGLER
    Expand Collapse

My wife, 2 small children, and myself are new to RVing but we have quickly learned that everything we seem to want to do is a looong way off. We don't like to totally wing it but with the kids and never knowing what we may stop to look at, we had a hard time planning our stops as one day will would go 600 miles with no effort and the next day we would do good to go 200. We have found the perfect solution for us = we got a Garmin Nuvi GPS and I bring my laptop. About an hour from the time we want to stop (usually around 4:00), my wife searches the next couple of towns on the GPS for campsites, we then get on the laptop (connected via wi fi or cell phone) and read reviews on the campsites coming up, check out the campsites website- pick one, call them to confirm and then hit "GO" on the GPS= all while without leaving the truck and when using the cell phone for a modem while flying down the road. I cant tell you how well this works for us as it lets our travel distance be flexible and still find a safe/good place to stay. The GPS really saves on turning around and we are not afraid to go to the campsites a little off the beaten path which gives us many more options.

2. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

We just took a trip to Montana from GA. It took us around 4 days at a little over 500 a day. We had limited time to get there. If I do it again, I would still drive the same distance, but every 2 days we would spend an extra night. That is what we did on the way back and I was more refreshed. I just don't like doing the hookups so frequently with the trailer so I would rather drive a little farther and do it less. I, like Cheryl do not unhook from the vehicle. We put the stabilizers down and go to bed. Too much work to unhook and hook up each time.

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(boater @ Sep 24 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]8448[/snapback]

We are not full timers, but we have taken several trips of over 3000 miles each. i do all the driving.

RE: doing all the driving. I like driving the rig, but do need breaks during the day's drive. You didn't mention if your copilot is capable of driving and setting up the rig. If not, I would suggest that. One of these days while on the road, you might get ill and need the copilot to take over in order to move you and the rig to a safe location or campground. It happened to me and thankfully my wife was very capable of handling it all.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(riggarob @ Sep 25 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]8460[/snapback]

Butch, how interesting. I'm sitting here in NH, reading these posts to my co-driver wife. At 1st we both said "300 miles a day, at 51 years old, give me a break" But as we read your post we have been in a similar situations. We shoot for 400 MPD. Sometimes it's 350, others it's 450, depends on the circumstances. I'm 58, DW is 52, and both retired, sooooo....., unless it's a "gotta get there" mode, we average 400 MPD, and are pretty much ready to turn on the TV, then hit the rack. Also, our pet is a cat, so no stopping for her, OR either driver for bathroom breaks. Crazy subject, but fun.

If I didn't have the pet (cat) with me, I would drive 400 miles. But I stop to let the cat out of the crate to stretch it's legs. Also, I'm a solo, I don't have a relief driver! Plus, I can't drive in the dark, don't see too well. I had perfect vision when I was younger, but the "night" thing is an issue with me.

JJ

5. Tom and Patty

Tom and Patty
    Expand Collapse

We travel back to St Louis from Fresno at least once a year. 1955 miles takes us two and one half days of driving. Our first day is usaully 800 to 900 miles, second is around 700 miles. I stop when I'm tired at a rest area. No one wants us to pull in beside them at 1:30 AM. We don't stop at campgrounds on any trip when we want to make time.

6. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tom and Patty @ Oct 19 2007, 02:49 AM) [snapback]8730[/snapback]

We travel back to St Louis from Fresno at least once a year. 1955 miles takes us two and one half days of driving. Our first day is usaully 800 to 900 miles, second is around 700 miles. I stop when I'm tired at a rest area. No one wants us to pull in beside them at 1:30 AM. We don't stop at campgrounds on any trip when we want to make time.

900 miles a day?!?!

Are you flying one of the new Airbus A380's?

How does that work out? 90 mph for 10 hours? Two drivers, 9 hours apiece averaging 50+mph?
    :blink:

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 19 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]8736[/snapback]

QUOTE(Tom and Patty @ Oct 19 2007, 02:49 AM) [snapback]8730[/snapback]

900 miles a day?!?!

How does that work out? 90 mph for 10 hours? Two drivers, 9 hours apiece averaging 50+mph?

I wanna know too! I'm a solo! The last time I drove 900 miles in one day, I was "only" 42, I'm 51 now, NO WAY! Well, maybe I could in a car, but NO WAY in an RV when I'm a "solo." :eek:

JJ

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I think the comment about my wife learning how to drive the coach is great, but I can not get her to do it. I even offered to have her take the driving course from Lazy Days, but no dice. She says she could do it in an emergency. Lets hope it never comes up. I don't ever like to fly 900 miles in one day. We usually hit 200 if we are lucky. Have done 1600 miles in 4 days getting back to a family emergency, but it liked to kill us both.

9. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 19 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]8736[/snapback]

900 miles a day?!?!

I guess it depends on one's definition of a "day"...there are technically 24 hours in a day and one could easily go 900 miles in about 19 hours, averaging 50 miles an hour.

My brother goes from PA to Florida driving straight through in about 21 hours...of course being a long-haul trucker, he's used to that type of driving. :)

10. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Oct 20 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]8751[/snapback]

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 19 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]8736[/snapback]

900 miles a day?!?!

I guess it depends on one's definition of a "day"...there are technically 24 hours in a day and one could easily go 900 miles in about 19 hours, averaging 50 miles an hour.

My brother goes from PA to Florida driving straight through in about 21 hours...of course being a long-haul trucker, he's used to that type of driving. :)

There are things I really like doing :rolleyes: that I wouldn't want to do for that long...

I know we all have times where we need to be somewhere but that can't be fun. It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

H@ll, it's hard to keep your average speed up if you just take a pee break..

11. leftyf

leftyf
    Expand Collapse

It works like this for me. I've left Seattle at 130pm on a Friday and been sitting eating dinner in my home in Houston by 8pm Sunday. And, I've driven 400 mi, in 3 days.

I'm 57, solo, and an amputee. When I get ready to go, I roll. During the winter, I try to start looking for a place at 3pm. And, if the weather is bad, I may stop even earlier. It just depends on how I feel.

Just because you do 600 miles in a day, doesnt mean everyone should or wants to.
    The idea of the RV lifestyle is to take time to smell the roses or burn up the road. It's what is comfortable for you not what some table says you should drive.

One of the best trips I've ever had was during the winter crossing a high pass on some highway in some state in the mideast. I was praying that we would get snowed in. This was the best sleep I've had in years. Watching it snow, watching satellite TV, and eating popcorn. Man, it don't get any better.

I've also had trips where I had to do 3,000 miles in 4 days. I got her done...but,, it wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Do what you are comfortable with and don't worry what anyone else says.

lefty

12. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 22 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]8764[/snapback]

There are things I really like doing :rolleyes: that I wouldn't want to do for that long...

I know we all have times where we need to be somewhere but that can't be fun. It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

H@ll, it's hard to keep your average speed up if you just take a pee break..

LOL...he's been doing it for almost 30 years and has never had an accident. He just has the stamina and focus to drive for long periods of time...

...I on the other hand, have to stop at every rest stop on my route even if we don't have to use the facilities and after more than two hours driving at one time it's fidgit time for me, LOL!!!

13. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

To each his own, I guess the answer is- whatever works for you.

14. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Oct 24 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]8803[/snapback]

To each his own, I guess the answer is- whatever works for you.

I mean, no offense I hope was taken. I just don't see how that is even possible. I relocated from the NJ to CA and drove myself out in a car. I just can't see doing that in an RV.

Like I said, I know we all have times where we have to be somewhere, but 900 miles a day. Bejeezuz.

15. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

900 miles a day is A LOT of miles, I once drove my car over 800 in a day and my butt was in that seat all day long, it was not a pleasure. I was young, and wanted to see some of the country, but it was from the car windows. The next day, and the days to follow were much different. In our Rv we only drive 250 max, and that is because of my age and a medical problem with blood clots forming in my legs. Sitting to long. Very dangerous.

16. Testudo

Testudo
    Expand Collapse

A little late, but I couldn't help responding to this...

Our 'longest day' was summer of 2005 (when we were still tenting) and we went from Germantown, MD to Beloit, WI -- about 825 miles.

First, I would suggest that you ditch the "anchor" and get a truck camper or a Class B [grin!]. We have a small (6.5 foot) pop-top truck camper (for just my wife and myself) on an F-250 XLT (not top-of-the-line interior, but comfortable enough on long trips). I'm 53 and we were pretty much life-long tent campers. The global warming and U.S. summer heat finally got to me, though. The RV is _all_ about the air conditioning [grin!].

Tenting from a car or pickup truck always seemed like a nice compromise to me in terms of time spent "working" (camp set-up and break-down). Now, with the truck camper, I'm kind of amazed at how fast we can get rolling each day. In a month-long trip, we probably get an extra two days doing 'fun stuff' because of the brief amount of time it takes to get the truck camper squared away. That doesn't even include the extra time we have because we don't have to backtrack from where ever we are during the day to some far off tent site. With the small truck camper, we always have all our supplies on our 'back'. When we are in some remote location, I feel sorry for people I spot out in the field that I know have big-rigs back at the campground. We have had the RV since May of 2006 (over 100 nights camping in it) and we have never taken it off the truck on the road. It is just too convenient to have it with us all day. Our biggest dollar savings has been on food -- we are not dependent on the local economy for lunch, anymore. Our camper is small enough that we can store it in our 10x20 foot garage. No small advantage since, around here, public storage is about $200 per month.

We are "right-coasters" and take a thirty-night trip out west every year (since 2005 -- last year of 'the tent'). I'm very peripatetic so the only real limitations on my tendency toward marathon driving is my wife's limited stamina and the number of daylight hours. My night vision is not so great, now, so I like to avoid driving at night.

Historically, we've easily done seven to eight thousand miles on one of these trips. I try to clear the east coast as fast as possible but it still takes us at least three days to reach the edge of the Great Basin. The first day, I try to get as close to the Mississippi River as possible. After that, I ease up a little bit and we try to take in a little 'local color' along the way. Our typical 'transit' day is about 600 driving miles. We have the smallest engine FORD offered and we try to keep our engine RPMs under 2,000, but, we have no trouble keeping up to the speed limit in our low-profile; fully-loaded vehicle. In the shoulder seasons, we have about an hour less light in the evening than in the Summer, so, getting in more than about 600 miles is challenging compared to the 650 or even 700 which we can achieve in the Summer.

Originally, once we got to our general destination, we used to try and average less than 200 miles per day. Lately, I've been trying to 'slow down'. I'm trying to spend more nights in one place and get the average mileage down to around 100 miles per day. On our recent trip, we were shooting for about 6,000+ miles and came in at 6,800 miles (we had an 'unscheduled' sidetrip of about 250 miles). When we do two-night; three-day, weekend trips close to home, I try to keep that to less than 200 miles from home.

Considering the 'anchor' that you're hauling around, I think you are doing great!!! If I can be serious, though, I'd venture to say that hauling a big rig seems to be more of a chore than a vacation when you just have a hand full of days to spend. I don't think you are missing some sort of 'technique' so much that you are maybe trying to go too far with too much in the time alloted. I realize that we are very lucky in that we can go for that 30-day block. Still, I wonder why more people don't consider smaller RVs (even shorter trailers that would be somewhat easier to jockey around). If _we_ are still happy to keep camping when our thirty nights are up, I can't imagine a smaller RV not sufficing for the weekend or few days that so many people must make-do with thoughout the year.

I can appreciate that certain types of RVs have limitations when you need to load up a _lot_ of family members, but I seldom see evidence that this is actually the case. Some people _must_ haul a lot of gear, like a full taxidermy laboratory in case they wanted to freeze-dry and stuff a roast beef, for example. But when does anyone have time to use any of those 'toys'??? When all, or nearly all, of the travel is just for a weekend or a few days, I often wonder why the owners didn't opt for a smaller RV and take less stuff from the get-go.

17. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it's just an LA thing.

Getting out of LA is a nightmare. It took us an hour just to get passed Dodger Stadium one trip and that's 11 miles away. Do the math on that one.

Coming back to LA is a nightmare, too. Our last trip back from Phoenix was great but I told my wife that I would rather drive the first 300 miles over again than the last 80. We left PHX at 7am and I had the cruise set at 65 the whole way until we hit the Palm Springs area. Suffice it to say, we didn't end up averaging 50mph. That's why I'm amazed by the 900 miles claims. I drove from my former home in NJ to Michigan City, IN (~700mi) solo in my car, that's my personal record. Traffic in and around major cities alone should be enough to knock anyone's average speed down.

18. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I talked to the RV park that someone recommended to me. I was told "no cancellation charge" if I need to SLICE one day off the reservation. I'm only charged a cancellation fee if a COMPLETELY CANCEL. Cancellation policy is 24 hours.

However, the one thing I didn't like is they hit my credit card NOW for a deposit that is applied to my stay. The deposit is $34, but they told me the cancellation fee is $10. So, if I cancel, they will refund me $24 of the $34? I'll probably have to FIGHT for that $24 if I need to completely cancel! Ok, I'm locked in now.

JJ

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Just so you know, it is not too unusual for the park to charge your credit card now. Some do it. Some don't. Hopefully you won't have to cancel and everything will go just fine.

20. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

You keep mentioning that you are old and then say you are 51. I thought it was a typo first. 51 is not old. I suspect that the average RV'er out there is a lot older, especially if retired. I know I have gone down hill a little since I was 51. We ae a young 63 and frequently feel we are the youngest ones in the park, espically on the weekdays.