Things I Have Learned On My Cross Country Trip

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Bud,

You're welcome. The philosophical gist of my post was that we, as travelers, are too often critical of something in an area we are visiting because we don't have the same situation at home. On of my favorite examples is folks from the south who come north between September and May and complain about closed pools, water shut off, in-season facilities and/or amenities not being available, etc. Unfortunately, our society can't seem to stop being overly provincial.

Butch,

While I agree that "truck" traffic is a major contributor to the poor condition of our roads and it would be great if trains could replace all those trucks, I don't think your "thought" is workable. I am certainly no expert is the area of transporting freight, but it seems to me that most freight trains carry their load (coal, cars, whatever) either long distances from point A to point B for disemination (cars) or processing (coal). How many more rail beds and freight cars would have to be built to take even a fraction of the trucks off the highways? The cost of new trains, freight cars, rail lines, rail centers, etc. would probably be astronomical. Then there are the logistical nightmares of providing this train delivery service throughout the country. Is is efficient for a train to stop every 50 or 100 miles to drop off a load or two? Even if it was possible to do this, I am not certain that it would be economical or practical. Just my "thought".

Jerry S.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Jerry,

Trains used to stop about every 7 miles in the days of steam to take on more water. Stopping every 50 miles would be easy and efficient, particularly with modern technology where a single carriage could be disconnected without stopping the whole train.

3. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Seems like there are a ton of trains carry trailers in Canada-- some are even stacked two high on a flat bed train car.

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jul 2 2009, 02:45 PM) [snapback]17291[/snapback]

Hi Jerry,

Trains used to stop about every 7 miles in the days of steam to take on more water.

That's strange. My wife stops every 7 miles to let off water.

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 2 2009, 07:26 PM) [snapback]17300[/snapback]

That's strange. My wife stops every 7 miles to let off water.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Hey, I just realized, I'm on a cross country, too!

Here is my contribution:

Power surges and fluctuations are more prevalent in the eastern states than western states. I have had to turn on my battery to support the fluctuations more in eastern states.

If I'm wrong about this, let me know!

JJ

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

Do you usually turn off the battery when you are on shore power? I think that is a poor idea as the system is designed to use the batteries as a capacitor to "smooth" the 12 volt side of life, and the shore power will, oh so slowly, charge the batteries up to *full*.

Or do you mean you have an inverter that you turn on? Inquiring minds want to know!

400 miles in two days should be a piece of cake for a seasoned traveler such as you!

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 3 2009, 08:15 AM) [snapback]17310[/snapback]

Here is my contribution:

Power surges and fluctuations are more prevalent in the eastern states than western states. I have had to turn on my battery to support the fluctuations more in eastern states.

If I'm wrong about this, let me know!

JJ

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I usually turn the battery off when I'm on shore power. Ok, now I see why I should leave it on. I didn't realize shore power would charge the batteries.

JJ

9. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

We learn something every day! Got home Saturday and already wish I was back out west. Enjoy People-- we have to make the most of the time God gives us!

10. beemerchef

beemerchef
    Expand Collapse

We take rest days... many... about a 1000 of them by now!
    Lately through WY and MT I noticed that the bank is charging an extra 1$ when using a debit card... I am looking into it now. We tow a motorcycle with a sidecar for Spirit, we tent camp a lot when the RV (White Elephant) is secure so the bike only holding 5G we stop a lot for gas...
    Maybe other's have been charged that $1 also?

Be well... Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul