Third Party Wi-fi Providers

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Texasrvers, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Seawolf

Seawolf
    Expand Collapse

We are currently staying at a wonderful RV park in Yuma. I signed up with thewirelessweb.com for one week. We had just used it in Bullhead AZ and it was great. WELL NOT HERE!!! The first day was OK, next marginal and from then on +(*(T)(*^&&^%$#*(*!!!! Disconnects every few minutes, taking up to 30 minutes to just sign on, pages loading so slow it's like watching grass grow. I have talked with both the park staff and the provider with no results. Basically, in has worked acceptably 10% of the time and the other 90%, as useless as tits on a boar hog. I consider it fraud to take peoples money and not deliver on service. I will do an fair review on the RV park but this " internet service deserves a -20 out of a possible 10.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sounds like the one we ran into in Florida in April last year. That one was called WiFiRV. Totally unacceptable service. The first time we tried we were able to get logged on for about 45 min. After that we were never able to get logged on again. Calls to their technical service and customer went unanswered. I wrote them a letter and requested a refund. Never heard a word from them. I was going to file a complaint with my credit card company, but some of their restrictions kept me from doing so. I am still so mad at the company that I use every chance I can get to let others know about them. Now I wonder if they have a cousin in Yuma.

3. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

I can empathize with CG owners when it comes to Wi-Fi. I full-time and use my Mi-Fi Verizon wireless. Weekenders and part-timers should be able to live without their computer unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary for 'em. And if it is, then they should pay for it, or stay the hell home if they're so darn-ganged tied to that technology.
    Thatz my first and final word on this issue!

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We are somewhere in between full timers and weekenders but are not really part timers. We take extended trips (4-6 weeks) 2-3 times a year. I can go without being connected for a weekend, but when we are gone for several weeks, I want to be able to get my email and surf for information that might be valuable or necessary for the trip, for instant locating RV parks and information about local attractions. I think that for many travelers mi-fi is a very good solution, but after checking on prices, we cannot justify the cost for the short period of time we would use it. So our best option is to stay at parks that provide a wi-fi service.

Also, I do not mind paying for wi-fi, but I do mind paying for it (or any service) when it does not work as it should (or not at all). I think what made me the maddest about WiFiRV is that they never answered their phone or returned my 6 calls or responded to my email. In this case I did not blame the RV park. This was a third party vendor, and the entire problem was their responsibility. I did mention it to the park office, and even they admitted it was a terrible service. They said they had been unable to get the wi-fi company to fix the problems, and even the park was very dissatisfied with their service. They said they had even tried to cancel the service, but their contract prevented them from doing so (without a huge cancellation fee), and they also could not contract with any other wi-fi provider until the WiFiRV contract ran out. They said they could not wait to get rid of the service.

So yes I, too, can empathize with the park involved in this case, but I still have no good words for the wi-fi company due to their total lack of service.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have an Android and can tether the laptop to it on 3 G service. Kinda slow, but works anywhere. I think this sort of Smart Phone technology is going to make WiFi go away.

6. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Feb 10 2012, 09:16 PM) [snapback]28750[/snapback]

We have an Android and can tether the laptop to it on 3 G service. Kinda slow, but works anywhere. I think this sort of Smart Phone technology is going to make WiFi go away.

Where we are at the wifi ( campground owned ) is pretty much nonexistant unless you go up to the office. I got a Mifi unit online at Amazon.com to avoid a long term contract with AT&T and will use that when I need to. When we leave here we be where there s good wifi for a while so no need to pay for the service. I can also tether the iphone to the computer with a 5 gig plan. I agree with Lindsay that wifi will probably be old technology soon.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Feb 11 2012, 09:31 AM) [snapback]28757[/snapback]

wifi will probably be old technology soon.

Sounds like we will need to move into the 21st century sooner rather than later.

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Feb 11 2012, 09:42 AM) [snapback]28758[/snapback]

Sounds like we will need to move into the 21st century sooner rather than later.

It is sooner, now. http://www.datajack.com/products

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for the link. Now I just have to try to understand it.

10. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

I went to Boost Mobile, bought a Mifi 2200 (Virgin Mobile)...cost $149 - allows up to 5 units attached to it. I purchased a top up card from Walmart ($50) that gives me unlimited internet. I can now access internet anywhere, anytime, even on the road.

I am from Canada so I don't have access from my phone etc and this worked well. I don't have to worry if any park I am going to has WiFi ... for the record...since Jan 3, been at 7 campgrounds, only 2 have had free WiFi

11. Eliza_67

Eliza_67
    Expand Collapse

Hey there, I've experienced similar frustrations with slow wifi myself but an option that i've found that is great is HomeFi's portable hotspot, it connects me to the nearest strong signal and allows me to connect to wifi with no problems. I've looked into other options but was deterred by the potential unstable connections and expensive plans, but in my opinion they are the best when it comes to affordability and reliability.

Paythebill likes this.
  12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We appreciate your input, but you may not have noticed that you replied to a 12 year old thread. But a lot has changed since then, so it is good that you have brought up a more updated option for getting reliable wi-fi service.