Those Looking For Internet/wi-fi Card

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RL36, Mar 9, 2008.

1. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: :D You can buy or rent the card, www.wifirents.com I hope this will help for those looking for internet!

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi RL36,

This will prove to be very useful to me, if they will rent to Canadians. Thanks!

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Check out the high cost before you buy this deal. Six months of use could buy you a new laptop.

4. juancferrer

juancferrer
    Expand Collapse

It's cheaper to just buy the card than to rent it! It's only marginally useful if you don't already have cellphone internet service, but you need it once and only once.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

I'm aware that it is $99.00 per month--however it does not require me to sign up for a 2 year contract and includes unlimited data transfer. I believe both Sprint and Verison charge about $60.00 plus tax for their contracts.

The difficulty is even *getting* a Verison account and hardware opened when you live in Canada. They don't offer service here except as a roaming situation and apparently can't sell me an unit.

I do hope that Wimax service will eventually replace cell phone "broad band" service. In Canada there are well over 100 locations that now have this service. Have a look here for some information about what I am talking about:

http://inukshuk.ca/

Unfortunately I live in the only province that has opted to not be part of this service. (Go figure, eh? LOL)

I believe Wimax has been rolled out much more extensively in Europe--with the hardware even being built into some Lenova laptops.

QUOTE(John Blue @ Mar 9 2008, 09:46 AM) [snapback]10604[/snapback]

Check out the high cost before you buy this deal. Six months of use could buy you a new laptop.

Hi Juancferrer,

I don't have USA cell service except at horrifically high roaming rates. If I *did* get a card from my local cell phone company the cheapest rate for roaming with data in USA would be $3.00 per meg.

A better solution for me would be a Telus account--they now offer a $100.00 per month account that includes unlimited access and free roaming in USA--and it will work with both the Sprint and Verison towers.

QUOTE(juancferrer @ Mar 9 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]10632[/snapback]

It's cheaper to just buy the card than to rent it! It's only marginally useful if you don't already have cellphone internet service, but you need it once and only once.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

pianotuna,

We have the WiMax system in place here in FL. now. This systems works off cell towers but down side is short range and very small number of cell sites to date. At this time range is around 3-5 miles. If they every get it up 25-30 miles Wi-Fi may die over night. Per the battle plan long range systems will be here soon. At that time everyones equipment will be wrong and you will need a new laptop or use a USB system to pick up the sig. May never work all over the USA due to high cost. We need a better system than Wi-Fi.

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

The Rev A phones have finally arrived--no need any more to have a dedicated data card to get the faster speed that allows with a good signal!

Here are the ones I've found so far:

HTC Mogul / XV6800 / PPC6800 / P4000 (is upgradeable to Rev A)

works on:

* Alltel
    * Qwest Wireless
    * Sprint
    * U.S. Cellular
    * Verizon Wireless

LG Dare

works on:

Verizon

LG LX-400

works on:

Sprint

Samsung Instinct M800

works on:

Sprint

Samsung SPH-Z400

works on:

Sprint

Sanyo PRO-200

works on:

Sprint

Sanyo PRO-700

works on:

Sprint

Watch out for Sprint's new "roaming" limits on Data 300 megs I believe. So while Rev A is more common on Sprint--one may still wish to consider Verizon.

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

Well Sasktel finally got some u727 modems for getting internet via cell phone towers.

Just in time for me!

The fee is $75.00 per month for unlimited access--and the card roams for free in Canada.

I'll be in the wilds of Saskatchewan--and other than in three cities I'll be dropped down to 1xrtt speeds. But that is still far faster than what I was doing before--and far easier than running as much as 200 feet of telephone cable to my RV!

9. Randy Benedict

Randy Benedict
    Expand Collapse

10. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

*ouch* at $5.95 per day. With a thirty day rental that comes to 180.00.

Does anyone know if the "majors" allow one to "vacation" their cellular modems? I'd rather have reliable equipment that I own.

I do know that a data "feature" can be turned on and off--and that by hook or by crook I'll want a cell phone if I travel for long time frames in the USA.

I've found out that Sasktel at least blocks the ports that my "magic jack" phone uses. Does anyone know if Skype is blocked too?

11. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I'm an internet junkie but I must becheap. That is outragously expensive. I this day and age of free wifi this is nuts.

12. Branatee

Branatee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Nov 4 2008, 06:07 PM) [snapback]13776[/snapback]

I'm an internet junkie but I must becheap. That is outragously expensive. I this day and age of free wifi this is nuts.

Well, I have used the service from Wifirents a couple times in the past, while on a family camping trip I rented the equipment for a week and it was very affordable and made the trip a lot less stressful and a lot more convenient knowing that I could stay in touch with work, and check my emails while "roughing it" at camping. Another time that I have used it was for a business trip, our company was very pleased with the device and we found that it was really an asset in presentation meetings. I would have to say that the convenience they provide is absolutely worth the cost, and I will reccommend it to others, as for those of you wanting to use it in Canada I'm not sure how that works but it is worth giving them a call or checking out their website. :D
    www.WifiRents.com

~Brandy

13. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Never mind - I deleted my post