Towing With An Suv...28 Foot Tt Too Much?

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by hopefulone, May 29, 2014.

1. hopefulone

hopefulone
    Expand Collapse

Hey all...just trying to see if what we're going to look at is even doable. Have a 2009 Tahoe complete with HD tow package. Paperwork from manufacturer of Tahoe in Texas with this package says it can tow a GVWR of 7300 pounds. Don't worry. Not going anywhere near that number regardless of what we get trailer wise. I've mostly been looking at Hybrids. The Tahoe seats 9 and the back seats are all removable and would really lighten things in the Tahoe considerably to just take two of the HEAVY things out when we are going to tow.

Anyhoo, making sure I get all of the anti-sway stuff correct and for the trailer with brake control, would it be possible to pull a 28' Coleman ctu247RK? It is NOT a hybrid and the DRY weight is 5,332. Now I know after everything is loaded, that would make it getting too close for comfort in GVWR. However, if we removed the couch and replaced it with an air mattress, that should put the dry weight more like 5,100?

In other words, is it worth removing the two seats we won't be using when towing in the Tahoe and removing a couch in the the trailer to lighten the load? In the Tahoe, we would have two adults two teens and one toddler. By the way, after using tents and pop-ups, I do know how to pack light:) One thing that concerns me even with the tow package on the Tahoe is that 28' is maybe about three feet too long for the short wheel base? We will probably stick to low hills and not mountainous areas and maybe tow to the beach...

2. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

If I have looked at the dimensions of the correct vehicle you have a wheelbase of 116". A general rule of thumb is the first 110" allows you to tow a trailer up to 20'. Every 4" of wheelbase above that allows you 1' of trailer. By my reckoning you're about 16" too short in wheel base to be comfortable. However, others may well disagree and I am by no means an expert. What you also need to consider is the cargo weight capacity of your Tahoe and the hitch weight of the trailer. The cargo weight assumes a driver of 150lbs. Any weight after that eats into your cargo weight. Your dry weight may be 5300lbs but loaded, the trailer is going to be at least 6000lbs, possibly more. With a 10 - 15% hitch weight! that takes about 900lbs of cargo capacity. Then deduct the weight of the two teens, the toddler, the other adult and anything over the 150lbs for the driver and I'm guessing that you'll be very close to your maximum without factoring gas, laptops, coolers, etc. Your Tahoe may be able to tow 7300lbs on paper but stopping it while loaded will certainly be more of a challenge as will every breeze the 28' sail behind you catches on a short wheelbase. Your steering will also be fairly light. Which, when all combined could make for a white knuckle ride.
    Like I said, I don't profess to be an expert and others may have different opinions.