Update Name?

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by fulltimer121, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Mamaluca

Mamaluca
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the welcome .

I understand what your saying but if the crowd is loud and bathrooms are dirt I assume more than one camper may complain. Makes it a little more difficult to narrow down. On the other hand if someone gives a negative review and states their visit date and site # then what can you say.

Maybe the park owner should spend man hours cleaning up his business rather then spending man hours trying to match a e-mail address to a specific campers Just saying

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

As I have mentioned before, it takes but a one second google search to find my website from my email address. If reviews are not anonymous then I, and others like me, may suffer. In my case, the consequences could include having to rent an apartment, stay in a (gasp) hotel, or buy a home.

QUOTE(docj @ Sep 26 2014, 08:47 AM) [snapback]38461[/snapback]

I think the issue is that the owner will link the review with specific occurrences such as someone complaining that the bathrooms were dirty, the neighbors were loud, etc. If he recalls who made those complaints he might retaliate against the person who made them. OTOH if you don't complain but simply document the issues I don't see how the review would get correlated with any particular person who stayed at the park unless you, again, write about something that is very specifically related to yourself.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Mamaluca @ Sep 26 2014, 11:56 AM) [snapback]38464[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome .

I understand what your saying but if the crowd is loud and bathrooms are dirt I assume more than one camper may complain. Makes it a little more difficult to narrow down. On the other hand if someone gives a negative review and states their visit date and site # then what can you say.

Maybe the park owner should spend man hours cleaning up his business rather then spending man hours trying to match a e-mail address to a specific campers Just saying

As you look through the reviews here, I think you'll find it fairly rare that multiple reviews for the same campground covering the same time period are posted. Campground owners are not likely to waste time e-mail matching, assuming they know how to hack in to get an email address here in the first place, when a post in this forum might have more than enough information to let them identify which visitor posted the review.

Back in 2011, I was at a campground during hurricane Irene where water was gushing out of holes in the plastic electrical conduit where it came out of the ground to feed the site stanchions. Fortunately, the power in the area was out for several days, so there was no immediate danger. I reported the issue to the campground owner as soon as the storm passed, and as far as I know, was the only one to do so. Consider what might happen if the owner's response had been highly negative, blowing me off for reporting the issue, and I subsequently wrote a review that included information about the power issue and the management's response. If the owner was of a mind, and happened to notice a forum post here where I replied to a thread related to power issues detailing my experience with enough information for the owner to track who I must be, since I was the only one that reported the problem. He could then easily take action against me to some extent, depending on how strongly he felt about my negative review. Now the reality is that the owner in this case was very concerned, and had an electrical contractor on site making repairs before the power was turned back on, but as we well know, that's not always the response to our dealings with campground management.

4. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Folks, we will find ways to allow members to configure their accounts to avoid privacy problems. The first step however is to clean up our database and make certain that the most commonly identifiable info is updated. It's just good practice. RVPR has been online for many years and there was a time (once long ago, in the distant, past) when internet privacy wasn't such a concern. That time has past, however. We are taking extra care with member accounts and trying to address this issue methodically and this is why the e-mails went out. There will likely be one more round of these as we try to touch everyone.

Please be patient - we all have the same goal here; to make RVPR the best resource possible for RVers and that includes being user friendly, safe and packed full of great info about camping.

5. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume
    Expand Collapse

I'm still trying to figure out why the user forum has to be tightly coupled to the review site. That was a bit rhetorical. The Escapee's chat board is a separate website from the mother site. It can be done.

Anywho...

Do I care about a (my) username being displayed on a park review? No.

Would I prefer to use a separate display name here in the forum? Yes.

I prefer using the same name (when possible) on the RV chat boards that I have accounts with. I am very active on the GS community forum. If we can have separate display names in the RVPR forum in the future then maybe I'll change mine back to what it was.

For now.....

meh

6. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Just a quick question. Do you have an idea when the new system will come online?

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(TXBobcat @ Oct 4 2014, 12:55 PM) [snapback]38589[/snapback]

Just a quick question. Do you have an idea when the new system will come online?

I do not know a definite date, but I do know the programmers/developers are working hard to get the new site ready, and we are all anxious to have it ready. As with anything that involves technology it has taken longer than expected to work out the bugs. We had hoped to launch the site before now, but it is very important to be sure it is working right. Sorry for the ambiguous answer, but that is all I know right now.

8. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Texas, it is better to have an ambiguous, yet honest, answer than something that isn't true. :D

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Shakespeare had a saying: Much ado about nothing.

It appears to me that the website Admins are making an attempt to provide a privacy service for the users of this site. It's free and it's intended for our benefit.

May I respectfully suggest to all who question this change that they re-read Janet H's words: "we will find ways to allow members to configure their accounts to avoid privacy problems."

There is little one can say to refute a procedure or policy that is intended to look out for we the users of RVPR. As I previously posted, Let's cut them a little slack.

To the one's who don't yet understand their commitment to you....Is your slack cutter broken?