Updating Maps

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by revrnd, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(wprigge @ Aug 10 2010, 09:32 PM) [snapback]23462[/snapback]

Another map correction I suggest is for the village of Sainte-Flavie in Québec. On the actual campground review of "Capitaine Homard" everything is correct, but on the map of the province Sainte-Flavie is placed near the head of Chaleur Bay, almost in New Brunswick. The correct location is about 120 miles north-west of there, on the St-Lawrence estuary, approximatively 25 km north-east of Rimouski, QC. The location pin in the campground review is dead on, I put it there myself... :)

OK, I'm really confused. First let me see if I understand what you are saying. You claim Sainte-Flavie is located about about 25 km northeast of Rimouski. This would put it very close to where the pin for Captaine Homard is currently located.

BUT you also say that the map does not show St-F at this location but rather somewhere on Chaleur Bay almost in New Brunswick.

If I've got all that correct, here's the problem. When I look at the map for this area I find St-F located exactly where you say it should be. On the map I see it is clearly located at the intersection of Route de la Mer and Route Jacques Cartier, very near Winkler Airport and a bit northwest of Mont-Joli. I did not see a St-F located on Chaleur Bay.

So if there is something I am not understanding here, please let me know.

All this may be a moot point anyway because even if St-F was shown on Chaleur Bay I don't think there is anything we could do about it. The maps are Google maps so if a city is located incorrectly, it is their problem. We cannot make that kind of change.

Thanks for the information and I'm glad we finally got the Ivy Lea KOA located correctly.

2. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi Texasrvers,

Looks like Google Maps are a bit off the map in that area of Québec, but we'll get it all figured out. The airport they show as Winkler airport is actually Mont-Joli airport (http://www.aeroportmontjoli.com/lang-en), Winkler airport is in Winkler, Manitoba, about 100 miles north of Grand Forks, North Dakota. That is an error of only 1750 miles! :D

But this is not the point here. As you said, Sainte-Flavie is near this airport and it is correctly indicated on Google maps. The problem is when you open up this map ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ ) , you see a button for Métis-sur-Mer near the spot where Sainte-Flavie is situated. The Métis-sur-Mer button is in the correct location and the button for Sainte-Flavie should be about 25 km or 15 miles south-east from there. Now if you zoom in on the area on the map ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ ) the button for Sainte-Flavie is directly east of Campbellton, New-Brunswick, the village it is on is called Saint-François-d'Assise. (Yeah, there are lots of Saints in the province of Québec! :D )

Just in case, I'll give you the coordinated for the locations:

Incorrect location of Sainte-Flavie on the reference map:
    lat 47.983967° lon -67.161445°

Correct location of Sainte-Flavie:
    lat 48.610872° lon 68.230270°

Hope this helps. If you need more info I'll be glad to be of assistance. Now I should get going to write up my reviews of the campgrounds of the area as I just came back three hours ago from a 2200 km trip to that region.

3. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

Well I just finished going thru the Ontario park listing. Yes I did have a lot of free time on Tuesday :D .

Glad to have been able to help as I probably won't have any more updates for this season.

Just a thought/suggestion for the website. Would it be possible To have an interactive map for each state/province that would have a pin for each park? You could click on the pins along a planned route to find CGs that you may want to stay at. It might help people who aren't familiar w/ the area & could possibly be quicker & easier to use than the town list on the LH side of the page.

4. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Aug 10 2010, 07:55 PM) [snapback]23459[/snapback]

Well, I see you had nothing much to do this afternoon. :D I took a quick look at Pog Lake CG and could not locate it quickly so I will work on it again later as well as the other maps you have submitted.

I went to Google Earth & found the Pog Lake CG entrance.

Lat: 45.579498*
    Lon: -78.456982*

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

wprigge and revrnd,

I haven't forgotten about your last posts. I have just been busy with something else and still am. I'll get back to you soon.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(revrnd @ Aug 11 2010, 08:45 PM) [snapback]23482[/snapback]

I went to Google Earth & found the Pog Lake CG entrance.

Lat: 45.579498*
    Lon: -78.456982*

Good job. The pin looks exactly right.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(wprigge @ Aug 11 2010, 06:35 PM) [snapback]23477[/snapback]

Hi Texasrvers,

Looks like Google Maps are a bit off the map in that area of Québec, but we'll get it all figured out. The airport they show as Winkler airport is actually Mont-Joli airport (http://www.aeroportmontjoli.com/lang-en), Winkler airport is in Winkler, Manitoba, about 100 miles north of Grand Forks, North Dakota. That is an error of only 1750 miles! :D
    But this is not the point here. As you said, Sainte-Flavie is near this airport and it is correctly indicated on Google maps. The problem is when you open up this map ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ ) , you see a button for Métis-sur-Mer near the spot where Sainte-Flavie is situated. The Métis-sur-Mer button is in the correct location and the button for Sainte-Flavie should be about 25 km or 15 miles south-east from there. Now if you zoom in on the area on the map ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ ) the button for Sainte-Flavie is directly east of Campbellton, New-Brunswick, the village it is on is called Saint-François-d'Assise. (Yeah, there are lots of Saints in the province of Québec! :D )
    Just in case, I'll give you the coordinated for the locations:

Incorrect location of Sainte-Flavie on the reference map:
    lat 47.983967° lon -67.161445°

Correct location of Sainte-Flavie:
    lat 48.610872° lon 68.230270°

Hope this helps. If you need more info I'll be glad to be of assistance. Now I should get going to write up my reviews of the campgrounds of the area as I just came back three hours ago from a 2200 km trip to that region.

wprigge,

One of us is crazy, or we are looking at totally different maps. I have looked and looked at this and cannot see what you are telling me.

First: I clicked on your first link and got a map of Quebec. I then clicked on Métis-sur-Mer on the drop down menu. There is one park listed in Métis so I clicked on its map and found that 1. the location of the town of Métis seems to be correct. I checked it against Streets and Trips and the location was the same on both maps; and 2. the pin for the park was located just east of the town in a heavily wooded area that I could not tell was a park. However, I did see an area that looks like a park farther west on the south side of Highway 132 just across from Chemin Patton. I have moved the pin there. Can you verify if this is the park? If this is not the right location I will move the pin back to where it was.

Second: When I follow the road from Métis to the south and WEST (not east as you stated) I come to Sainte-Flavie in about 13 mi. (Wouldn't that be close to 15 km?) At least the map I see shows it there at the same coordinates that you listed for St-F. Also when I click on the park located in St-F I find the pin located a little farther south and west of the town.

So I think we are OK this far. But then it gets hinky.

You said, "the button for Sainte-Flavie is directly east of Campbellton, New-Brunswick, the village it is on is called Saint-François-d'Assise." I clicked on your second link and zoomed in like you said. I found Campbelton, NB. I moved to the WEST about 30 mi. because east took me to the middle of Chaleur Bay. I located the town of Saint-François-d'Assise, but it was labeled with that name not Sainte-Flavie I looked all around this area, and I could not find a label for St-Flavie anywhere. Then I went to what you have said are the wrong coordinates for St-Flavie, lat 47.983967° lon -67.161445°. This does put you right on St-Francois, but it is still labeled St-Francois on the map I see.

So at this point I either have a huge mental block against what you are trying to tell me, or we are somehow seeing two different maps, and yours shows St-Flavie where St-François is located.

I am sorry I am having so much trouble with this, but again if towns are labeled wrong there is not much I can do about that. If pins are wrong I can fix that, but they seem to be in the right place (with your verification of the one in Métis-sur-Mer). Feel free to try to explain this further. Who know, maybe it will sink in with me one of these times.

8. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi Texasrvers,

Gee, I did mix up east and west that night! I swear I didn't drink anything stronger than tea and I can't blame jetlag, so I'll have to say sorry! :(

I suggest we'll go over the problem step by step and we will get to the solution together.

First, I'll confirm everything that's correct.
    1) Métis-sur-Mer is correctly shown on the https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ map, as is the location of Camping Annie on its review page ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/park_map.php?cgid=7431 ).

2) Camping & Restaurant "Capitaine Homard" of Sante-Flavie, QC, is correctly shown on its review page ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/park_map.php?cgid=11449 ). (As an aside, the restaurant is very good and it's the perfect place to indulge in food and drink, as your RV is only a few steps away. :) )

3) As we are in the area, I checked the town of Amqui, 72 km or 45 miles east (I double checked myself, got "east" right this time... ) of Sainte-Flavie and it is correctly located on the https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ map. I moved the button for the local campground "Camping Amqui" to the correct location about a mile north of town, you can easily identify it on the satellite map.

Now the one thing that is not correct, the location of the button leading to Sainte-Flavie on the https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ map and on this map only, and only the button. If you go to this map, you see a peninsula shaped like a dog's paw jut out into the Gulf of St Lawrence. This is the Gaspé peninsula. You see a string of buttons located all around the peninsula with three on the western edge. The northernmost is for Métis-sur-Mer, the one almost in the centre is for Amqui. The southernmost of the three is the incorrect one. If you zoom in on it you will see it is situated over the village of Saint-François-d'Assise, but if you click on the button it will lead you to the review of the campground "Capitaine Homard" in Sainte-Flavie, 154 km or 96 miles northwest of there. Now if I rephrase the problem, the button on the map https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ that should be on the village of Sainte-Flavie, around 15 miles west of Métis-sur-Mer, is on the village of Saint-François-d'Assise, 96 miles southeast of the correct location, and it is only this button that is incorrect, the link "View On Map" in the actual review of "Capitaine Homard" is dead on.

I hope this is clear now, and I apologize again for mixing up east and west. If you need further clarifications don't hesitate, we all want to get campgroundreviews.com as close to perfection as possible.

9. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Another little correction: The location pin for "Camping Au Soleil Couchant" in Grande-Vallee, Quebec, should be moved east (double checked my east again!) by about 1000 feet, just south of where it says "Anse des Gagné".

10. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

wprigge,

I fixed the map move on "Camping Au Soleil Couchant". Thanks!

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(wprigge @ Aug 13 2010, 09:43 AM) [snapback]23511[/snapback]

Hi Texasrvers,

Gee, I did mix up east and west that night! I swear I didn't drink anything stronger than tea and I can't blame jetlag, so I'll have to say sorry! :(
    I suggest we'll go over the problem step by step and we will get to the solution together.

First, I'll confirm everything that's correct.
    1) Métis-sur-Mer is correctly shown on the https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ map, as is the location of Camping Annie on its review page ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/park_map.php?cgid=7431 ).

2) Camping & Restaurant "Capitaine Homard" of Sante-Flavie, QC, is correctly shown on its review page ( https://www.campgroundreviews.com/park_map.php?cgid=11449 ). (As an aside, the restaurant is very good and it's the perfect place to indulge in food and drink, as your RV is only a few steps away. :) )

3) As we are in the area, I checked the town of Amqui, 72 km or 45 miles east (I double checked myself, got "east" right this time... ) of Sainte-Flavie and it is correctly located on the https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ map. I moved the button for the local campground "Camping Amqui" to the correct location about a mile north of town, you can easily identify it on the satellite map.
    Now the one thing that is not correct, the location of the button leading to Sainte-Flavie on the https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ map and on this map only, and only the button. If you go to this map, you see a peninsula shaped like a dog's paw jut out into the Gulf of St Lawrence. This is the Gaspé peninsula. You see a string of buttons located all around the peninsula with three on the western edge. The northernmost is for Métis-sur-Mer, the one almost in the centre is for Amqui. The southernmost of the three is the incorrect one. If you zoom in on it you will see it is situated over the village of Saint-François-d'Assise, but if you click on the button it will lead you to the review of the campground "Capitaine Homard" in Sainte-Flavie, 154 km or 96 miles northwest of there. Now if I rephrase the problem, the button on the map https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/ that should be on the village of Sainte-Flavie, around 15 miles west of Métis-sur-Mer, is on the village of Saint-François-d'Assise, 96 miles southeast of the correct location, and it is only this button that is incorrect, the link "View On Map" in the actual review of "Capitaine Homard" is dead on.

I hope this is clear now, and I apologize again for mixing up east and west. If you need further clarifications don't hesitate, we all want to get campgroundreviews.com as close to perfection as possible.

wprigge,

OMG, I have finally figured this out!!!!!! And I’m sure everyone else on the site will be so glad when we put this to bed. Thank you so much for your perseverance; it has finally paid off.

But before we get to that, though, let me say that I locked the two maps you submitted for Camping Amqui and Bourg de Pabos; although I had to trust you on Bourg as I could not make out a campground at all. I’m sure you got it right.

I also moved the pin for Camping Au Soleil Couchant to the east. I think I have it in the right place, but I’m not sure because it does not match up with the map symbol for the campground. Please check it and let me know if it needs to the tweaked. These are easy to do so don’t hesitate to tell me if it is still wrong.

Now for the big ticket item: The problem with St-Flavie. I will take full blame for this, but I have to admit I thought you had lost your mind for a while there. I just could not see the things that you were telling me. On the spot where St. Francois was, my map had it labeled St Francois. I just could not see where you were saying it said St. Flavie.

Now I’ve finally got it. It was not until just today that I realized what “button” you are referring to. Before when I worked on this I would go to the area map of Quebec using your link, but then I thought you were clicking on the drop down menu with towns’ names. When I clicked on that menu St-Flavie would be right where it was supposed to be. There was no town listing for St. Francois, but when I located it on the map, the name said St Francois so I could not figure out how you were seeing it labeled as St-Flavie.

Today when you began talking about the buttons out there on the dog’s paw peninsula a light bulb came on in my head, and I realized these were the buttons you were referring to. Knowing this I zoomed in and clicked on the St-Francios button and oh wow, the pop-up box came up with the St-Flavie name, and the link was to its campground, Capitaine Homard. I’m so glad—not that there is a mistake, but that I finally realize what you were saying.

Now I do not think this is a Google map glitch; I think it is an rvparkreview problem. However, this is a problem way above my pay grade so I will let the webmaster know and hopefully he can fix it soon.

Again thanks so much for hanging in there, and I’m sorry it took me so long to catch on. I’ll try to do better next time.

12. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad everything is straightened out, no problem a little patience can't fix! :)

As for Camping Soleil Couchant, you put it near the map symbol of the campground, but that one is a bit too far east. The satellite maps of the area don't give a good quality photo if one zooms in too much, so it's not easy to see, but I can explain. Just south of Anse des Gagnés you see an open field with a no-name street, that's the campground. There are two big buildings east and one big building south, the latter being the local community clinic. Just across highway 132 you see a street called "Rue Henrimond".

As for Bourg de Pabos, the quality of the satellite map is even worse, but by checking it out on the campground website http://www.lebourgdepabos.com/Anglais/loca...tion/local.html one can see the location. As the website for the campground on the review page of Bourg de Pabos is not current, I submitted a new review with the correct coordinates, but that one is not on stream yet, so you'll have to use the link I gave you three lines up to check it.

Now I just have to write up my reviews of the campgrounds for our latest trip to New Brunswick...

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(wprigge @ Aug 13 2010, 05:16 PM) [snapback]23520[/snapback]

As for Camping Soleil Couchant, you put it near the map symbol of the campground, but that one is a bit too far east. The satellite maps of the area don't give a good quality photo if one zooms in too much, so it's not easy to see, but I can explain. Just south of Anse des Gagnés you see an open field with a no-name street, that's the campground. There are two big buildings east and one big building south, the latter being the local community clinic. Just across highway 132 you see a street called "Rue Henrimond".

OK. Check it again now.

Also the website for Bourg de Pabos has been updated.

14. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Perfect now!

Found another problem, this time on the review page of Camping Compton in Compton, Québec. If you click on the "View On Map" button it will show the campground near the geographical centre of the province, roughly 600 miles north of the correct location. This is an area inhabited mostly by black bears and moose, with absolutely no roads.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/Compton.html

If you go to Google Maps (not the campgroundreviews.com version) and look up Compton, QC, you will find the campground correctly indicated.

Thanks for your good work!

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(wprigge @ Aug 13 2010, 09:08 PM) [snapback]23526[/snapback]

Perfect now!

Found another problem, this time on the review page of Camping Compton in Compton, Québec. If you click on the "View On Map" button it will show the campground near the geographical centre of the province, roughly 600 miles north of the correct location. This is an area inhabited mostly by black bears and moose, with absolutely no roads.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Quebec/Compton.html

If you go to Google Maps (not the campgroundreviews.com version) and look up Compton, QC, you will find the campground correctly indicated.

Thanks for your good work!

See if Compton is correct.

16. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Right on now!

17. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi Texasrvers,

Some more work for you, sorry! This time in New Brunswick with Camping Caraquet in the town of Caraquet. The location pin of the "View On Map" button is about 2 miles to the east of the correct location. The campground is to the north of highway 11, between the Little Caraquet River Road and the Rue de la Forge that lead south of the highway. It is slightly closer to Rue de la Forge. You can not see it with the satellite view as the quality of the photo is too bad, but you can check it with Google Street View where you can clearly see the entrance sign.