Walmart Parking???

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bluedurango, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Ohio-jayco-popup

Ohio-jayco-popup
    Expand Collapse

We stopped for two hours at a Walmart in the middle of the afternoon once. No one seemed to care. We have also stopped at a Flying Js a couple of times in there RV section. I think it's great that there are places that open there doors to RVers that only need a few hours sleep. We make sure to sped some $$ in return. Are we taking buisness away for the local camp grounds? no . I wasn't camping, I didn't set up a awning or use any water/electric/sewage. We were sleeping for a few hours, thats it. When we do this we don't plan on stopping at any certian mile marker, our gas gauge usually tells us when to stop. :)

2. bowmanlw

bowmanlw
    Expand Collapse

Move over WallyWorld. Cracker Barrel also allows overnight parking.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: As long as regular campground owners charge from $20 to $40 for the privilege of just pulling over for a few hours sleep instead of having a special section for short-time overnighters, there will be places like Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrell, and, yes, even Wally World, that understand the economic value of RVer's and which extend courtesies like short-term overnight parking. These firms know they will be repaid many times over in business from these Rver's.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

there will be places like Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrell, and, yes, even Wally World

Not trying to be mean or anything, but Wally World is Wal-mart.

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl: I know you are not mean but you obviously did not see the famous movie "American Vacation" with Chevy Chase where he took his whole family to a place called Wally World and where they had a gigantic parking lot. Rent it. You'll enjoy it! :)

6. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I have seen it numerous times. I was referring to people on here calling Wal-mart Wally World when they are talking about stopping for the night.

7. jliferjr

jliferjr
    Expand Collapse

My daughter and I just got back from a 2500+ mile trip from Mississippi to Wisconsin via Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and back thru stopping in Nashville. We stayed at four campgrounds, a single day at two, three days at one and 6 days at the destination of Oshkosh. Coming back we pushed down to Nashville to see old friends for dinner. We didn't have a campground reserved and at 10 pm the Walmart was the stop. We purchased a bit and crashed. Only to be awoken at 3 am by a panhandler. We then took off again refusing to go back to sleep. Walmart is only a stopover and can be dangerous. This one was not patroled and is an older store looking to be renovated or closed soon. Just be careful out there.
    John

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl:

With all due respect, if "Wally World" is a euphemism for Wal-Mart, it is one that you have coined. When you suggested in your earlier post that you were referring to the identification of Wal-Mart as "Wally World" on this site many times, my interest was piqued. I went through the entire Wal-Mart discussion, all 66 posts, and the only time someone used "Wally World" was when AVIATOR, on June3, 2005, suggested that he could envision a business along the interstates that allowed free parking spaces for RVs if purchases were made. He did not say, or say, if he thought this would be Wal-Mart. The only other use of the term "Wally World" was by BOWMANLW on June 28, 2005, most likely in response to AVIATOR.

I then checked all 1,910 responses on the forum and, NOT ONCE, other than the above mentioned two references (and your response to my comment) did the words "Wally World" appear.

What's more, I then checked all your posts, Cheryl, and you did not, in 101 posts, call Wal-Mart anything but Wal-Mart whenever you mentioned the store.

I submit that your assumption that "Wally World" automatically means Wal-Mart is incorrect. Perhaps in your mind, but not in general usage

Now that we've gotten the webmaster to install Spell Check, perhaps our next project could be to get him/her to install a feature call "Euphemism Check!" :rolleyes:

9. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

You said I obviously hadn't seen the movie American Vacation (which by the way is correctly titled National Lampoon's Vacation) I was telling you that I have seen it (the movie) numerous times. As for Wal-mart being called Wally World, I can't take credit for coming up with that phrase, nor do I personally use it. A lot of people do. Since Wally World Amusement Park exists in a movie, it would be hard to overnight park there. Hence the assumption that AVIATOR and BOWMANLW were referring to Wal-mart.

10. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl: Thanks for your reply, and for advising that you "personally" do not use the term Wally World. As to conclusions about our discussions on this topic, I shall leave it to the good sense and judgement of the folks who participate in this site to form their own opinions. Have a nice day!

11. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I didn't say there is anything wrong with using that or any other "nickname", just that I never have. My husband and one son call it that all the time.

How about it, Aviator? Were you meaning to say you would park at Wal-mart or a fictitious Amusement Park?

12. twins89

twins89
    Expand Collapse

my, my you folks can get a little mean. Check out RV net or any other campground forum and one will see that Wallworld and Wal-mart are the same. End.....
    In response to whether or not it is good to stay (not camp) at a Walmart overnight, it depends on everyone's situation. Last year we traveled 8200 miles xcountry with our 15-year-old daughters. We did stay one night at at Walmart because we could not find any other place to stay that was easy on easy off and it was late. Other than that the other 29 nights we did PAY. We found some that were from $ 7.00 (yep seven bucks) to stay at a county-owned park in the middle of some state with water and electric. We also stayed at some of the "rv spots" (I won't call it an RV park) behind some of the larger truck stops in the midwest. They had maybe 20 spots will hookups and were less than 20 bucks or so. All in all for 30 nights of camping, we spent less than 750 for all. (I kept a journal). On the Ohio turnpike there was a spot between Cleveland and Toledo (going west) that had a $ 15.00 charge for electric hookup and had potable water available to refill. What I did was really check every little town along the highway for anything to stay at that was reasonable. These folks who camp at Walmart for more than 1 night will ruin it. I also want to think that the amount of stopping we did at Walmart for supplies and groceries along the way, they were able to build the new store coming to my town!!! If any corporation could build an RV park and make it cost efficient, clean and well run with FRIENDLY owners, it would be Walmart... ARe you listening Walmart and the Walton family. Your first try could be in Wayne County NY. There is nothing here to reallly speak of.

13. twins89

twins89
    Expand Collapse

Opps, I forgot to add that we did stay in some really great RV parks and CGs. Yellowstone was beautiful. We only stayed at the elcheapo places when going from point A to B. OTherwise, we tried to get a nice park (hence the 700 plus dollars we spent on lodging) The most $$$$$ was in Jackson Hole. The west needs to get with it and start building some nicer RV parks - some were really not to great with 30+ dollars per night. If anyone wants to know, we spent $ 750 or so on lodging (in our camper), $ 2300 in gas, $ 1000 on food and supplies ( a new battery for one) and over $ 1000 on admission, entertainment (white-water rafting on the Snake River for one thing -worth every penny), and stuff we bought. A great trip and hopefully one our children will remember for ever. Next time we go, we will only do the northern route and without children and take longer. Four weeks was not enough to see everything we wanted but plenty long enough with two 15-year-old females who thought they were missing too much of their social life here at home!

14. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Check out RV net or any other campground forum and one will see that Wallworld and Wal-mart are the same.

That's all I was trying to say in my first post on this subject. I wasn't trying to be mean. Because it is hard to tell the "tone" of someone's writing, I even put that in the post.

15. quicksilver

quicksilver
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I've resisted long enough. This is just my personal experience and another two cents worth on the Walmart/Wally world discussion. I have heard Walmart referred to as 'Wally world' both inside and outside the RV community for many years. I had not considered that someone would not have associated the nickname 'Wally world' as a reference to Walmart until I read this forum topic. Is it possible that this slang usage is not common in Beastdriver's circle of acquaintances or part of the world? It would explain a lot. Not everyone in this world uses nicknames and slang. I personally know people who do not refer to children as 'kids', and I'm sure others can come up with different examples. Can we lighten up a little? Shucks, I'm dumb as a rock if get me off the subjects in which I'm educated. My wife tries to keep me humble by reminding me that I have a master's degree in DUMB.

Now, let's go find a nice Target parking lot to spend the night......

16. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(quicksilver @ Aug 7 2005, 12:58 PM)

Now, let's go find a nice Target parking lot to spend the night......
    [snapback]2497[/snapback]

Target? Is that some new place where they put bulls-eyes on your RV and allow children to throw water balloons at it? :lol:

Or...could you possibly mean Tar'get (Tar-zhay), the upscale French pronunciation of the department store? :lol:

All kidding aside I've heard Wal-Mart referred to as WallyWorld by lots of people. I've also heard it referred to by some not so nice nicknames, which I will not mention, lol.

I've only stopped a few times for rest at Wal-Marts and usually was gone before some of the shoppers who pulled in at the same time were done with their shopping. I've also found that most establishments that are opened 24/7 will allow you to rest in their parking lots as long as you ask and make a purchase.

17. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Just a word to the wise that there are Walmart stores that are not able to allow overnight stays in their parking lot. I know of two, one is in New York State at Queensbury (Glens Falls ). The town has an ordinance banning overnight parking in their lot. Note that the area has many over priced campgrounds in the Lake George/Glens Falls area. Guess they want every cent they can obtain from the RVing public---GREED !
    The other one that I know of is the one at Ellsworth Maine. A sign is posted at the entrance stating no over night parking, but have seen some overnighters from time to time. One who had stayed for at least five days that I know of. This is a fine example why others can not use their facilities. Who do I hold responsible, the store managers. they allowed the situation to exist. Again the reason is the campground owners in the immediate area complained, and the Walmart put up the sign. From what has transpired in the past, after the sign was erected, I guess they do not enforce the ruling.
    Another place that allows overnight stays is: the LL Bean store at Freeport Maine.
    The RVers seem to all use the same two parking lots. They are adjacent to one another, and are easy in and out. Have stopped here many times over the past years with our RVs, but not overnight. Hope this information helps if you are in these areas.
    safe travels, and above all enjoy, Butch

18. danshula

danshula
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    As it was mentioned before it is not a joke, people do camp in Wallmart parking area's.
    It is kind of strange to me to see a MH or another expensive rig parked in Wallmart when there is a C.G in the area.
    Isn't RV life all about meeting people and enjoying the nice outdoors?
    Of course it is a personal preference and I have nothing against it especially that it will leave more vacancy in C.G. :unsure:

19. zephre01

zephre01
    Expand Collapse

20. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I disagree that campgrounds would not be high if people would stay there. Very seldom do we stay at an RV park that is mostly empty spaces. They will continue to be high priced as long as the owners are more concerned with the almighty dollar than with their guests. I have never stayed in a Walmart parking lot but if it were late at night and we were pressed for a place to stay, I would certainly rather stay there than pay $40 + to stay a few hours in an overpriced site.