Walmart Parking???

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bluedurango, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

zephre01
    I have to disagree with your thoughts.
    Any time CHOICE is removed from the equation you then have a monopoly which creates EXCESIVELY high prices (called price gouging) because there is no other choice.
    If a campground is having problems filling its spaces, then its time for it to take a look at what IT IS DOING WRONG. The RV Park Reviews here are proof of this. All any park has to do is look at what people are saying about it to get a good idea of what needs to be changed.

2. Sverlinde

Sverlinde
    Expand Collapse

Oh I hate camping at walmarts. I always feel safer in an actuall campground B)

3. Big Mc

Big Mc
    Expand Collapse

I have read every posting on this topic to date and it seems like you have every side covered. I am a RV Park owner and do not lack for business. We have a gentleman who stops with us every year on his way to Fl and on his way back. He leaves Canada and stops in Wal Mart lots all the way except for his stop in Ga. We are the only park he will stop at. That says something for our park. I agree, lots of parks charge outrageous rates and if I were an RVer I certainly wouldn't pay them. Our rate is well under $20.00 and we honor Passport America, Escapees and Happy Camper. A Passport member can stay here for $9.50 per night or $11.00 if they want cable TV. Why stop at WalMart when you can still find parks like ours. We are out there.

4. First hybrid06

First hybrid06
    Expand Collapse

This is not rv related but a WALMART reference.

My kids High School is located right across the street of a regular Walmart.

When the school had major construction this past year, the parking lot was takin out. Only teachers and staff could park in what was left.

Walmart let the kids park in their lot. They were away from the main area. You were looking at about 50 cars.
    At first I didn't allow my daughter to drive her car to school, fearing that she would be towed. I did towards the last 2 months of school.Now i see why it was ok.

I hate Walmart, in principal, but that is a real nice jester to allow us to park overnight and also the HS kids to park during the day.

5. funlover

funlover
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jun 24 2004, 06:48 AM) [snapback]868[/snapback]

The reason some people stay at the Walmart is because they just need a place to sleep on the way to their destination. If the "small" RV parks would have lower rates for those people that will not be using ANY of the facilities, maybe more people would use them instead of walmart. The could charge a lower rate for people checking in around 9:00pm and leaving by 8:00am or so.

AMEN, sister! I'm with you! :D :)

6. lmudd

lmudd
    Expand Collapse

As a former employee of walmart I know they welcome rv`s but do get concerned when they block the parking lot especially when walmart trucks come in to unload
    The advantage of staying at walmart is that there are shifts 24/7 graveyard unloads freight and employees shart coming in between 5 and 6 am.

7. Warren Wilke

Warren Wilke
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(beastdriver @ Mar 9 2004, 05:47 PM) [snapback]454[/snapback]

:D :D It's no joke. Wal-Mart (most of them, but not all) very kindly allows RV'ers to park in their lots overnight. The understanding is that you will park away from the main part of the lot, in the furthermost corner, and that you won't take up residence--the courtesy is understood to be a one-night thing by most of us. I always make it a point to go in and ask the manager for permission, and thank him or her for the courtesy, and we always restock our supplies while there. It's a safe, clean place most of the time.

8. rvdude

rvdude
    Expand Collapse

Hats off to SeaBirdRV park and Big MC as two owners who "get it". I'll be seeing you!
    Now, how about the rest of the 5,000 campground owners...

Let's not forget that the "overnight parking service" that Wal Mart "allows" is not just about price but about respect for our fellow campers and convenience. As has been said, pulling in at 11pm with lights on and engine noise after quiet time and then leaving the next morning is plain RUDE to fellow campers paying for a "camping" experience in a campground. Not to mention how difficult it is to do in the typical darkness and cramped quarters of a campground. To have a campground owner tell us (and their local government) that is how they want to run their campground tells a lot about that owner and their respect for "camping". Camping is NOT over-nighting. Two different services, two different facilities.

When I camp I'll be in a campground.
    When I am just getting some rest I'll pull over where I don't bother truckers trying to earn a living and where I don't bother campers trying to enjoy their camping experience.

It's r-e-s-p-e-c-t!

9. bccmco

bccmco
    Expand Collapse

wew've been fulltimer's for about 3 yrs. now & we refuse to pay some campground $25 or more to stay for 1 night.If we're going from point A to point B we stay at a Walmart if it's nearby.We couldn't stay at the Walmart in Redding,Ca. because they had leased the property & the landlord wouldn't allow overnight parking but we did stay over at the Super K.This thread always cracks me up as I went with my son-in-law who is a truck driver & we stayed at rest areas & truck stops & never paid a dime.Since we.ve been traveling I've seen more than 1 trucker at a Walmart with atruck stop within a mile.We stayed at a Walmart in Corona,Ca. & were told we could stay 3 days,which really surprised us as we were only planning on staying 1 night.So we call ahead & ask or if we don't we have never been refused except for a few stores.As far as we're concerned,Walmart's are a a stop along the way like a truckstop & we stop like a trucker but only loner

10. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Our local WalMart has put up a sign stating no overnight parking. I asked the manager inside why the change and he said, because the lot was starting to turn into a campground, but not with those who are just stopping to rest. It seems like out of town construction workers are opting to bring a trailer and camp out in the lot rather than stay in the local motels, because it's cheaper and they get to keep the residuals. It's a shame they have to ruin it for those who just want to take a rest.

11. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

It is people like those construction workers that are going to ruin it for everyone. :angry: Walmart provides a nice service for RV'ers and there are people who take advantage of it just because it is cheaper for them. I have never stayed overnight at a Walmart but I could see where it could be very valuable. If it comes down to a choice of possibly falling asleep at the wheel or stopping at a Walmart to rest I definitely would choose the Walmart. If campgrounds could offer better rates for quick stop overs like that I wouldn't hesitate to use them but paying $30+ for a 6-8 hours stop over is ridiculous. Lets just hope it doesn't get to the point where Walmart will change their policy company wide because of too many people taking advantage of their hospitality.

12. calewis

calewis
    Expand Collapse

I have not used Wal-Mart yet but every time I go past a store I automatically look for RVs. Lots of people use the privledges and all it takes is for some to abuse the opportunity before it is taken away. There is a name for those who take advantage of Wal-Mart's graciousness. Those abusers are called SLUGS.

13. BOUDREAUX'S BUDDY

BOUDREAUX'S BUDDY
    Expand Collapse

we use to stay @ walmarts for 3-5 hours however the knoxville ,tn parkside dr store

walmart in gasden ,al does not allow any truck or rv parking except to shop in their store

hello target stores

14. Kevin

Kevin
    Expand Collapse

Based on all the good info I learned at this site, I used a Walmart parking lot this past summer
    for a few hours in Brunswick ME.
    I called ahead to make sure the local P.D. or anyone else had no problems with my being there.
    All concerned were fine so I planned to pull in there about 2:30 AM and wait until the local camp
    ground could let me in.
    The store is right off the highway and very well marked and I was very glad to see those big
    blue letters after a long tow from W. Mass.
    Once I got my daughter bunked down and she was settled, I tried to relax, but between the
    daylight bright lights, the parking lot clean-up sweepers and the garden dept. deliveries at
    4:00 am, sleeping just never happened.
    As they didn't have any power hook-up, the trailer was hot and stuffy and the lights shined
    right through the shades.
    When :) I got to the campground later that day, the owner told me I "should have just come right
    on in" they could have given me a temp. site to at least hook up my AC for the night.
    So, ya never know!
    We did do our shopping at the Walmart supermarket though, and honestly, saved at least $50.00 on our grocery bill.
    Happy camping.

15. cstruc

cstruc
    Expand Collapse

When we were coming back from Florida (where we bought our motorhome), we stayed in a few places. It didn't make much sense for us to stay in campgrounds because we were basically only staying a few hours. We didn't want to carry much food with us (as we had to winterize as soon as we got home, it was winter) so we always had to buy food. We just put our slide out 2" just to get around our bed.

16. grappagirl

grappagirl
    Expand Collapse

17. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I'm really surprised that some of you don't want to be able to write reviews on the different Walmarts and Cracker Barrels. I can just see it now. We spent 3 nights in our MH, no hook up but very resonable priced, In door play ground for the kids. :rolleyes:

18. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi RVers,

For years I have been strangely interested in the Walmart "camping" situation. I have never done it in my 15+ years of RVing but appreciate that it may be available under unexpected circumstances. I just hope that in the event something would necessitate my trying to use a Walmart, that the one I need hasn't stopped allowing it for the previously mentioned reasons. The main reason I have never even considered using a Walmart is that I am fortunate to have both the time (retired) and schedule flexibiity to limit my typical daily driving to 1-200 miles and less than 5-6 hours on the road. This allows for numerous stops for rest, shopping, recreation, etc. This usually gets me to my intended stay for the night between noon and dinner time. Even if it is only an overnight stop, I can set up, do laundry, take a dip in the pool, have a liesurely dinner, clean up, and still have time to socialize and relax in the evening. No rushing, no stress, even a little exercise. Beats being behind the wheel from dawn til dusk so you can cover 5-600 miles.

One little story on the Walmart issue: My RVing year usually begins around 5/1 and ends around 11/1 with a stop in Effingham, IL. At both those times of year you can often still have nights in the 40's or lower. There is a Super Walmart on the way to my usual overnight park (Camp Lakewood - check the reviews) and it usually has 5-6 RV's in the lot. Some of those RVers have admitted to running their generators most of their overnight stay to keep comfortable and run their appliances (TV, mircowave, etc.). I figure they used up to $10 worth of gas. This was a couple years ago when the campground cost $20 a night. These people think they saved $20. Additionally, this Walmart also has a gas staton that serves a an overnight truck stop. So there are trucks coming and going all night.

I understand "to each, their own", but aren't we supposed to be having fun?

Jerry S.

19. Carly

Carly
    Expand Collapse

I love the Walmart topics. :lol: We stay in Walmart parking lots, church parking lots(not on Saturday night), school parking lots (not during school days) empty city lots and abandoned business parking lots and other non campgrounds because that was our only option. We are going home to the northwest in the spring and there aren't many campgrounds open until May so we stay where we can. I also refuse to spend over $20 per night to sleep. We have been asked to pay over $40 per night just to sleep. I can stay at a Super 8 motel for that and they will clean up after me for that and give me morning coffee and a danish. I really hate staying in motels so that is why I have an RV but there is no way it is worth over $20 just to sleep. How much power or water can I use in 8 hours?

20. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Carly,

Then you might enjoy this site:

http://freecampgrounds.com/

QUOTE(Carly @ Feb 7 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]6021[/snapback]

I love the Walmart topics. :lol: We stay in Walmart parking lots, church parking lots(not on Saturday night), school parking lots (not during school days) empty city lots and abandoned business parking lots and other non campgrounds because that was our only option. We are going home to the northwest in the spring and there aren't many campgrounds open until May so we stay where we can. I also refuse to spend over $20 per night to sleep. We have been asked to pay over $40 per night just to sleep. I can stay at a Super 8 motel for that and they will clean up after me for that and give me morning coffee and a danish. I really hate staying in motels so that is why I have an RV but there is no way it is worth over $20 just to sleep. How much power or water can I use in 8 hours?