What Are Your Pet Peeves Rv'ing?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by imagardener, Aug 7, 2012.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I go usually between 62 to 67 mph, I love seeing the TT's flying past me probably over 75+ with the their trailers fish tailing..... :blink:

Mike

2. Bearcat

Bearcat
    Expand Collapse

Campers who wake me up when they get up around 6:00am by triggering their car alarms. Why does it take so long for this person to shut off the alarm on a vehicle they owned for years

It"s not like ( nice campgrounds ) have major auto theft /chop shop problems.

Flip side: Same MH , a 4x4 truck pulls up, beeps horn. (8:00am).

Must be perm residents working in the area.

3. John316

John316
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Mar 27 2013, 05:19 PM) [snapback]32894[/snapback]

I go usually between 62 to 67 mph, I love seeing the TT's flying past me probably over 75+ with the their trailers fish tailing..... :blink:

Mike

I agree on the TT, Mike. However, we are the largest MH (height, length and almost on the weight) that is legal on the roads. We pin at least the speed limit (unless we have high winds), and my fav is 75+. I enjoy the ride lol :D

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(John316 @ Mar 31 2013, 01:51 AM) [snapback]32927[/snapback]

I agree on the TT, Mike. However, we are the largest MH (height, length and almost on the weight) that is legal on the roads. We pin at least the speed limit (unless we have high winds), and my fav is 75+. I enjoy the ride lol :D

John316, Hope I didn't offend you...In the Northeast the highways are not long and straight and often congested. Seen a lot of the TT's not driving safely. :)

Mike

5. John316

John316
    Expand Collapse

Not at all, Mike. I agree. The NE is different. We just came from out west so that is what I was thinking of. Of course there aren't many places out East that we can't run the limit, but it does all depend on the road.

Cheers.

John

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We rarely go much over 60. Not in any hurry and the fuel milage is much better.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(John316 @ Mar 31 2013, 01:51 AM) [snapback]32927[/snapback]

You may be the exception but IMHO the majority of MH's that go past at speeds that high are clearly not in good control of their vehicles.

Today on I-40 in AZ and NM the vast majority of the 18-wheelers were keeping pace with me at ~65 with a few running in the 65-70 range despite a posted speed limit of 75 and no winds. Most drivers of heavy vehicles know that they are not designed for speeds much higher than that.

I know I can't change your mind, but do me the favor of letting me know where you are traveling so I can make sure to stay off the road and out of your way.

And before you accuse me of being a white-knuckled, gray-haired old fart, I'll let you know that I have a Class B CDL and believe that my remarks are consistent with everything I know about driving heavy vehicles.

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

62 MPH is where I get the best fuel mileage so that's where I drive pulling the 5er.

One of my peeves is and there really isn't much that can be done about it people pulling up to the only diesel pump on the auto island and blocking both sides of the pump getting gasoline while I sit and wait to get diesel.

9. John316

John316
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Mar 31 2013, 09:44 PM) [snapback]32934[/snapback]

You may be the exception but IMHO the majority of MH's that go past at speeds that high are clearly not in good control of their vehicles.

I know I can't change your mind, but do me the favor of letting me know where you are traveling so I can make sure to stay off the road and out of your way.

And before you accuse me of being a white-knuckled, gray-haired old fart, I'll let you know that I have a Class B CDL and believe that my remarks are consistent with everything I know about driving heavy vehicles.

Hiya DocJ. Glad to hear from you. I do agree with you that most MH that we pass should be going that 60 range, or whatever they feel comfortable with. But, my original comments came from folks doing that in the left lane. The reality is if you are retired and have plenty of time, do whatever makes you happy.

Oh yes, and I do have a current Class B with endorsements, med card, etc, and I drive commercially too.

We just came from that area on I40 making a run for home, a few days ago. Always enjoy it down there. Hammer down and running. You are right, most of the trucks are rolling about 70 for fuel economy. We average about 8mpg at 75. Not too bad for what we weigh.

And no, I do not intend to turn this into a shouting match. Just having fun. To each his own, and if you don't have a schedule, no reason not to slow down in the right lane. We usually have a pretty intense schedule so we roll when we can, unless weather is bad (includes wind).

Cheers

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

John--

You might have been the older Prevost that passed me on I-40 on Easter Sunday. If so, you were definitely under control. Not at all like the rental MH's that often fly by during the summer. Many of them are sporting a lethal combination of drivers from other countries driving large vehicles in an unfamiliar environment. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Joel

11. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Apr 1 2013, 11:33 AM) [snapback]32938[/snapback]

62 MPH is where I get the best fuel mileage so that's where I drive pulling the 5er.

What are you running Ned? I haven't figured out my optimum when pulling, but I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 l turbo diesel - I feel like she's the most comfortable in that 65-70 range (pulling about 11k pounds of 5er).

12. thetravelkids

thetravelkids
    Expand Collapse

My biggest complaint, without doubt, is diesel owners who idle their engines incessantly, especially at 6:00 a.m. Certainly, most diesel owners are considerate... thank you... but it happens far to often as some diesel owners think it's good, even necessary, to let their engines idle for twenty or thirty minutes after start-up. :angry:

13. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Apr 2 2013, 10:19 AM) [snapback]32960[/snapback]

What are you running Ned? I haven't figured out my optimum when pulling, but I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 l turbo diesel - I feel like she's the most comfortable in that 65-70 range (pulling about 11k pounds of 5er).

I have a 2003 F-350 with the 6 liter diesel.

14. mhmama

mhmama
    Expand Collapse

Most of the pet peeves listed are also mine but I have one that really can be irritating. Driving into a Rest Area late at night, exhausted and see one spot left in the area for truckers/RVers and find a car parked there. Plenty of room in the car area but they park in our area

15. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If you have a ScanGuage, you can zero in exactly what your sweet spot is for fuel economy. For me (8.1L) big difference between 60 and 65. I am not in a hurry anyway most of the time.

16. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mhmama @ Apr 19 2013, 05:56 PM) [snapback]33130[/snapback]

Most of the pet peeves listed are also mine but I have one that really can be irritating. Driving into a Rest Area late at night, exhausted and see one spot left in the area for truckers/RVers and find a car parked there. Plenty of room in the car area but they park in our area

X2

17. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

My pet peeve are CG owners who are so concerned about their precious grass or plantings that they place physically hazardous objects at the exit points of campsites and along the roads of their CG's. I'm talking about things like large boulders or metal fence posts. It's one thing to be concerned about careless RV drivers who don't bother to stay on roads but it's totally another to make the penalty for getting a wheel on grass be serious damage to a customer's RV.

We were just at such a CG where a steel fence post was placed at the exact spot where my site's pad joined the CG's interior road. The CG's roads are exceptionally narrow compared with most other parks and I worried all night about my ability to make the turn to get out of my pull-through without damaging my MH. I had my wife standing by the post as I tried to pull out, but because of RVs in the spaces ahead of me across the road there was no way for my MH to pull far enough out to make the turn without hitting the post. I couldn't back up and correct my angle because of a tree close to the left side of my coach.

I "solved" the problem by bending the post down so it wouldn't ruin the side of my MH at which point the post snapped and broke off. Since steel T-posts don't normally break that easily, I suspect this is not the first time a departing RVer has bent it in order to get out! Honestly, I didn't care about damaging the CG's post; the damage to my MH could have been a lot worse.

IMHO this CG has no business labeling itself as "big rig friendly"!

18. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Apr 22 2013, 06:15 PM) [snapback]33161[/snapback]

My pet peeve are CG owners who are so concerned about their precious grass or plantings that they place physically hazardous objects at the exit points of campsites and along the roads of their CG's. I'm talking about things like large boulders or metal fence posts. It's one thing to be concerned about careless RV drivers who don't bother to stay on roads but it's totally another to make the penalty for getting a wheel on grass be serious damage to a customer's RV.

IMHO this CG has no business labeling itself as "big rig friendly"!

I agree. I stayed at one in Wilsonville Oregon that sounds suspiciously similar to your description. I didn't have a problem getting out as our rig is quite short but we came close. I'm glad you were able to snap the post. Paintwork is expensive to repair.

Darrell

19. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Terminology is a moving target in the RV business. Resort is a really abused term too. Since when is a parking lot a resort.

20. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Apr 23 2013, 09:31 AM) [snapback]33167[/snapback]

I agree. I stayed at one in Wilsonville Oregon that sounds suspiciously similar to your description. I didn't have a problem getting out as our rig is quite short but we came close. I'm glad you were able to snap the post. Paintwork is expensive to repair.

Darrell

I think it is amazing that you would recognize this CG as the one we were at! :lol:

We did stay at a KOA in Flagstaff that used boulders for the same purpose, but the one in Wilsonville was the one with the steel posts.

Did you also notice that no one had a single thing outside their RVs? I recognize the weather is still cool in OR but there wasn't a single chair visible outside near any RV. Personally, I found it a bit spooky, in a Stepford Wives way.