What Do People Expect In A Campground?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by springhill, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Old Guys Rule

Old Guys Rule
    Expand Collapse

Why compain over not enough t.v. stations, get you a dish. most really bad posts i see are written by people driving huge rigs, hardly ever by someone pulling a little pop up, or even a fiver. the bigger the rig, the bigger the bitcher. (look at me, i'm important ! get out of my way, i can afford a million dollar rig)
    [/quote]

Do I sense a little anger here? I have a big rig and like to think I'm pretty normal and nice. I have, however, given some poor reviews due to the fact that a campground has stuck me in a site that I had to shoehorn my rig into. I then had to re-position in order to open the slides. Forget about the awning.

Remember, there are plenty of self-important people out there. It doesn't matter how much money they have.

BTW, one of the wealthiest people I know camps in a 15 year old travel trailer and has a ball. You just never know.

2. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:D First off when Im in my RV Im thankful and happy to be spending time with my wife and daughter.What makes me more upset than a not so clean park or an uneven sight or even an unfriendly staff,but a nice clean,level pad and friendly staff is great dont get me wrong,Are these rediculous,outragous,inflated "FUEL PRICES".I know this is a sight for RV park reviews and also to share info and have great conversation but is there anyway that we can all get together and somehow lower these HI FUEL PRICES.I dont know maybe a special RV price (ha ha) just a thought on that.But seriously these prices are just flat our rediculous,and just emagine they are going to get much higher.Everyone enjoy your travels and if your in the Mooresville,NC area please drop me an email. Richard richardlima@windstream.net

3. alaska_amp

alaska_amp
    Expand Collapse

What people expect in a campground or park...clearly, anything is possible. It's what makes sites like RV Park Reviews so valuable to me.
    I've been full timing alone in a 5th Wheel now for almost three years. We've all experienced the low voltage, muddy sites, bad roads, power/water outtages, and folks who behave badly. Large drunk parties, indigent folks (homeless, not recreational) living under tarps with electric heaters and microwaves, park staff being arrested for warrants, you name it- we've probably all shared a variety of humerous - or- intolerable events that affected us in one way or another. Still, you have those terrific people you meet and the lifestyle :rolleyes:

Some of my most remarkable memories are a campground with 300 Harley Bikers, the Nat'l Lesbian organization, and firing cannons with actual live rounds. The bikers and the gay folks turned out to have some really neat members. The cannons knocked down several old growth trees and tossed campers to the ground some 40 yards away. Several unsuspecting campers had to retire to the showers/laundry for repairs. Fortunately, all these things occured at different times. I've personally only ever intervened in two incidents. One involved an individual striking an elderly man who was camping alone and undergoing chemotherapy. The other was a young adult male who was inside the Womens Bathhouse at night- picking up pre-teen girls and refusing to leave.

RV Park Reviews is a site I use frequently, just to reduce the element of surprise. Most of the places I select from the Campground Reviews here are privately owned campgrounds/parks.

A few months ago, I selected a campground from RV Park Reviews which had very high ratings. I was especially impressed with the owners reputation for enforcing rules and felt justified in paying double the monthly rate in the area for a safe location to rest and have annual servicing done on the 5th Wheel.
    The campground turned out to be approximately 85% seasonal campers, but very well cared for. It was everything you hoped for in the way of ammenities and well deserved the high ratings. October 31st the seasonal campers left for the winter- leaving their winterized RV's. Then the owners left for the winter about the same time, leaving a winter staff on the grounds.
    From this point on, everything changed. Heavy equipment tore up the roads day after day. Water was shut off three days in a row (no warning or update), and on/off at least 9 occassions in a single month. Power was on and off- again, no warning or advice, once for over seven hours. Folks were caught showering, etc. WiFi became non existant.
    But here's my beef. Just my side of the story. On the day after Christmas, at 9:00 am, there was a barrage of gunfire at very close range. Less than 10 feet from the camper. I looked out and saw seven men dressed head to toe in camo clothing. They were all armed. They split up and began running between campers, popping up from behind trees and firing 12 and 20 guage shotguns. It was a terrifying sight. This rampage lasted from approximately 9:00 am until 5:45 pm on December 26th. They killed every living animal in sight. It was a bloodbath. They bludgeoned and stomped squirrels to death as they fell from trees. The following day, the campground was littered with the bodies of wildlife who had not fallen the day before, but were mortally wounded and died during the night. You thought of the Christmas Mall Shootings. The next day, there wasn't a living thing left in the campground. Dead silence. My ears rang for three days, and I haven't stopped shaking whenever there's a noise outside. I keep watching for them to return.
    The campground staff say that the owners authorized this action as a method of humane control over squirrels because they received complaints from some of the seasonal campers. One of the seasonal campers was one of the shooters. I contacted the office staff immediately who provided this explanation. They never came out all day. After several hundred rounds were expended, and the shooting was over/around and within two feet of the RV, I contacted the Sheriffs Office. An on-call Sgt. called me back an hour later. He said it was private property and they could do what they wished. We had a long conversation in the loud gunfire. I asked him about the ordinance prohibiting discharge of a firearm within 400 feet of a residence and he stated that he was friends with the owners (of the campground- could vouch for them) but that they didn't consider an RV a "residence".
    IMHO....placing your RVers into harms way in this manner is outrageous conduct. I base this opinion of my training in firearms safety/hunting and the fact that the owners specifically told me (my number #1 question: Do you have anyone discharging firearms, cannons, or improvised explosive devices) there would be absolutely no firearms discharged on the campgrounds.
    I consider this Merry Christmas "Massacre" as a deal breaker. There was no warning or even attempt to keep these shooters (and two minors with guns) away from occupied RVs. It seemed like "Deliverance Meets the Texas Chainsaw Massacre".....

Comments please?

4. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(alaska_amp @ Jan 1 2008, 05:49 PM) [snapback]9734[/snapback]

Comments please?

Um sure . . . . Somebody is crazy. Either the owner is nuts to allow this or you, if you choose to stay there, might be even more nuts.

Paintball would be out of line; real gunfire? Unbelievable.

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Alaska amp,

Wow, wow, and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

It has taken me half an hour to even wrap my head around this one. While I can't imagine what this experience must have been like for you, I do have a couple questions. Where is this place? Since the seasonals close up and winterize around 10/31, I would guess it is not in the southern 1/3rd of the country. Most northern parks are out since few of them would be still open in December. Even if you don't want to name the park, could you at least name the state? Also, how many other campers (not shooters) were there when this happened? What was their reaction?

I, too, was once told by local police the "private property b.s." when I complained about a safety issue. My concern was was about 10-11 year old kids zooming around recklessly in golf carts at Camp Chautauqua in western NY. 10 minutes later the officer was chatting and laughing with the owner. Maybe you could find some satisfaction at a higher level - county or state?

Good luck.

6. alaska_amp

alaska_amp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jan 1 2008, 07:07 PM) [snapback]9740[/snapback]

Alaska amp,

Wow, wow, and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

It has taken me half an hour to even wrap my head around this one. While I can't imagine what this experience must have been like for you, I do have a couple questions. Where is this place? Since the seasonals close up and winterize around 10/31, I would guess it is not in the southern 1/3rd of the country. Most northern parks are out since few of them would be still open in December. Even if you don't want to name the park, could you at least name the state? Also, how many other campers (not shooters) were there when this happened? What was their reaction?

I, too, was once told by local police the "private property b.s." when I complained about a safety issue. My concern was was about 10-11 year old kids zooming around recklessly in golf carts at Camp Chautauqua in western NY. 10 minutes later the officer was chatting and laughing with the owner. Maybe you could find some satisfaction at a higher level - county or state?

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback Denbroncs and Jerry. I know this is just my side of the story, but I was in need of a reality check from other RVers. The park owners probably won't return until sometime near the Easter holidays, so the information I am relating as accurately as possible comes via the campground staff who run things over the winter. Without their first-hand account, I haven't posted a review and have intentionally withheld the name of the park. I will say that it is located in the State of North Carolina.

There are an estimated eight or so other campers here but only 3 or 4 were occupied on the 26th. Most folks had left to join family/friends over the Christmas holiday and didn't return for several days after. Of those, the over-nighters departed early the next morning post haste. It reminded me of news footage of conflicts where you see refuges running zig zag bent over at the waist and darting across open areas. I observed a family with three children and two small black dogs strung out in such a manner like they were bound by a rope trying to relieve the dogs and break camp early the next morning. Once the shooting started, it was impossible to hitch up and break camp. To the best of my knowledge, the others have been
    completely unaware of what happened in their absence.

Unfortunately, the same Sgt. who spoke with me then called the campground staff to inform them I had called with a complaint. Things have really got tough. I was here in part waiting for an RV repair service to locate a short to the front power jacks on this 5th wheel. Without it, it's fairly difficult for a female arm amputee with limited use of the lower extremities to hitch up. I was looking forward to a peaceful and safe place to stop awhile.

They're making things difficult. I guess it's hard to accept because I've always gotten along very well with others. Dale Carnegie. Make friends and influence people. Be flexible. Keep your sense of humor. You know. Don't you enjoy the RV'ers you meet who are always first to lend a hand. The others we just try to ignore.

But this incident was just over the top. I've been courteous but would love to hear from the owners directly.

7. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Old Guys Rule and RL36 welcome to the Forum. You both seem to have the proper attitude towards this lifestyle that, hopefully,we got into because we enjoy it. I sometimes wonder why some folks do this because all they ever seem to do is complain about what they didn't get.

alaska_amp.
    You have to win a prize or something.
    That story is a-maze-ing. I'm sorry that you had to experience something like that, but that is one h@!! of a story. I'm look forward to reading your forthcoming review of the Baghdad KOA. I also can't wait to hear more about the Harley-riding Lesbian Artillery Division as well.

I'll see if I can get Spielberg on the line. There's money to be made here...

Amanda L likes this.
  8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

alaska amp...
    This puts our experience of 'first day quail season' in the middle of nowhere...to shame. Decade ago...in our days of back-country boon docking.

Packed ever since. Never had to use it. Did have to cock it one time (shotgun) and the trouble vanished: 2-legged coyotes in southern CA/Arizona desert.
    Fosters I

9. alaska_amp

alaska_amp
    Expand Collapse

[attachmentid=130][attachmentid=129][attachmentid=128]QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Jan 3 2008, 03:27 PM) [snapback]9780[/snapback]

alaska amp...
    This puts our experience of 'first day quail season' in the middle of nowhere...to shame. Decade ago...in our days of back-country boon docking.

Packed ever since. Never had to use it. Did have to cock it one time (shotgun) and the trouble vanished: 2-legged coyotes in southern CA/Arizona desert.
    Fosters I

You've got the right attitude. I'm not opposed to discouraging errant grizzly bears from entering the RV up north. It's considered quite un-neighborly to rip your window frame off and join the slumber party uninvited. I do enjoy weaving through buffalo herds and race bullwinkles along the Alcan. A flat tire at -60 once cost me several black toes. I'm running out of body parts. Still, the animals are far better mannered than the 'Baghdad' campground in North Carolina...

Attached Files:

10. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

Do I sense a little anger here? I have a big rig and like to think I'm pretty normal and nice. I have, however, given some poor reviews due to the fact that a campground has stuck me in a site that I had to shoehorn my rig into. I then had to re-position in order to open the slides. Forget about the awning.

Remember, there are plenty of self-important people out there. It doesn't matter how much money they have.

BTW, one of the wealthiest people I know camps in a 15 year old travel trailer and has a ball. You just never know.
    [/quote]

Dear Old Guys Rule,
    Not everyone wants your big 40 ft motorhome, and I did not here anger or jealousy.

I've been workamping for 9 years. The people that complain the most about the price are the ones in a 40 ft motorhome. Behind the desk we call it a 40 ft attitude. Your wealthy friend has probably never given a clerk behind the desk a bad time about the price. Have you? The ones in pop ups and travel trailers and fifth wheels do not complain as much. You may not be one of the ones with the 40 ft attitude but you do give the impression that you could be.

I can not count how man times I heard an owner of a big rig try to talk the price down, and gripe about everything. :)

11. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Alaska amp: Great photos!
    You're right...a grizzly is a WHOLE different kind of animal. Not many campground reviews warning about marauding bears. I agree with Jerry: please post a review to warn folks about off-season camping at where-ever you witnessed these humans acting VERY badly.
    Stay safe mate.
    Fosters I

12. alaska_amp

alaska_amp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Jan 6 2008, 05:15 PM) [snapback]9804[/snapback]

Alaska amp: Great photos!
    You're right...a grizzly is a WHOLE different kind of animal. Not many campground reviews warning about marauding bears. I agree with Jerry: please post a review to warn folks about off-season camping at where-ever you witnessed these humans acting VERY badly.
    Stay safe mate.
    Fosters I

Thank you FosterImposters. Those are an example of how you take photo's with one arm- you hold the camera upside down to reach the shutter. I never use a tripod with grizzlies, just too unpredictable. You be careful with those two-legged humans:)

13. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I don't want to sound all preachy but I felt that I had to bring this up.

I've never been one to ride on the Politically Correct Bandwagon, so this is a real departure for me.
    But I've started to notice many folks are maybe giving us a little too much information about a park.

What I mean is, I don't think that I need to know the ethnicity of the owner to rate the value of a park. I don't need to know if an owner is too young or too old to justify staying in his or her park. Or, if it is a "his" or "her" that owns/runs the park. Or what "type" of clientele the park caters to.

Now before you bombard me with "Don't you want to know if a park has Gay Oriental Senior Buddhist Mariachi Square Dancing every Thursday" (not that there's anything wrong with that), just look at some of the reviews. It may not be the majority of reviews but I've noticed that even in a good review that someone will mention the ethnic, social or economic background of the office staff and/or the other campers and it just seems inappropriate.

I think that some (albeit few) folks are a little overzealous in their reviews.

There. I've cast the first stone.

14. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------
    Ok, I don't want to sound all preachy but ... I think that some (albeit few) folks are a little overzealous in their reviews. There. I've cast the first stone.
    -----------------------
    Hmmm...haven't run across those particular reviews yet: but will second the motion.
    Am sure our Moderator will be interested in our feedback!

15. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(alaska_amp @ Jan 2 2008, 01:02 AM) [snapback]9744[/snapback]

Without their first-hand account, I haven't posted a review and have intentionally withheld the name of the park. I will say that it is located in the State of North Carolina.

We are looking for a park in Asheville this summer. Please tell me it's not in Asheville. Thanks. :eek:

16. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Jan 28 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]10058[/snapback]
    What I mean is, I don't think that I need to know the ethnicity of the owner to rate the value of a park. I don't need to know if an owner is too young or too old to justify staying in his or her park. Or, if it is a "his" or "her" that owns/runs the park. Or what "type" of clientele the park caters to.

Now before you bombard me with "Don't you want to know if a park has Gay Oriental Senior Buddhist Mariachi Square Dancing every Thursday" (not that there's anything wrong with that), just look at some of the reviews. It may not be the majority of reviews but I've noticed that even in a good review that someone will mention the ethnic, social or economic background of the office staff and/or the other campers and it just seems inappropriate.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this.

What we want in an RV park other than space to park our big rig (yes, we are one of those!)

17. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Jan 28 2008, 01:48 PM) [snapback]10058[/snapback]

Ok, I don't want to sound all preachy but I felt that I had to bring this up.

I've never been one to ride on the Politically Correct Bandwagon, so this is a real departure for me.
    But I've started to notice many folks are maybe giving us a little too much information about a park.

I think that some (albeit few) folks are a little overzealous in their reviews.

There. I've cast the first stone.

It is not that I disagree with you , I just don't think a post here will help . A large majority that write reveiws never read or post on this forum.

18. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Feb 11 2008, 06:10 PM) [snapback]10230[/snapback]

It is not that I disagree with you , I just don't think a post here will help . A large majority that write reveiws never read or post on this forum.

Very good point.

Preaching to the choir, I suppose.

19. Minin33

Minin33
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry I'm a little off topic. but I noticed that you wrote that you had a dog. Did you have any difficulties traveling with a dog? Maybe there are some tips for those who take dogs on such trips?

20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Minin33 - Welcome to the forum. I see that this is your first posting on the forum. In the future you may want to check the lower left hand corner of the last post in a thread that shows the date when it was posted. You are responding to a thread and posts that are over 11 years old so it is doubtful you will receive a response to what you asked in yours. Just trying to help out a "newbie" become more familiar with posting, etc. Glad to have you on board, be sure to post reviews on the parks and campgrounds you travel to and stay at. Lots of knowledgeable long time RVers aboard that will be willing to give you info and helpful advice, etc.when you find you need it so don't be a stranger.... :D

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Minin33 likes this.