What Do You Expect In A State/county/city Park?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DXSMac, Jan 27, 2008.

?

What is the minimum you expect?

1. Expect to dry camp, grateful if hookups available

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sites should at least have elec, I can bring my own water.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. All sites should at least have elec and water

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. I expect my own sewer dump in addition to water and elec

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I expect WiFi and Cable (in addition to other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I WANT IT ALL!!!! (whatever that means)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

If one is to abide by the old saying, "you get what you pay for", then the inexpensive nightly rate says volumes. We would like a near level site, large enough to accommodate the motorhome with its' opened slides, an opened awning, and a spot to park our toad. Not asking for to much...good grief !! Then if the site(s) had water & electric with a dump station on site at the Cg, we would have it all. Surely a fantasy world, especially in the great northeastern states. Most city, county, and state Cgs are old and can not accommodate any type of Rv over say, 24 feet. Most were constructed to accommodate "tenters". Newer or reconfigured public Cgs, that could accept anything larger, in New York State are very few in number. Even some of the older private Cgs can not fit in much over 24 feet. A challenge, at times, to find something that fits your required needs.

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, looks like not too many takers on GWBishoff's "Challenge."

"rig level" was pretty good, and "propane, because you'll freeze your @#$ off" was pretty good.

Ok, what I was trying to say, but it got cut off, was:

"you are lucky to get your OWN SEWER DUMP AT YOUR SITE."

JJ

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

gwbischoff> I replaced my couch/beds with recliners. As the old saying goes...”No matter how many beds an RV has, it only sleeps TWO.”

Well, I am fairly certain that in CA, as in TX, you could easily rent that out to 30 or so illegals. :)

4. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

In Ga we get water and electric, 50 amp at some parks in limited sites. Only a couple offer any sites with sever and very few offer cable. You have to remember that most state parks ( I only speak from a GA perspective) were designed for tents and pop ups similiar to Disney. I stay at the ones that I know I can get my RV in without damage and am grateful for any amenities such as W/E/S.

5. moqui51

moqui51
    Expand Collapse

You make a good point on the reviews. I give many of the COE or state parks good ratings on what they are. If I enjoyed myself I give them an 8 or more. I don't care if they have wifi or cable. But, if they are a resort type state park then I do expect more ammenities, as their prices are higher.

It has been a while since we have found any city parks, but we used to like finding them as they are usually very inexpensive, and we would usually only be there for one night. You don't need wifi and cable for one night do you?

For one night only I am happy to just have electric....my husband on the other hand wants full hookups no matter where he goes. He acts like he just can't survive one night without full hookups...even if he didn't need them. lol

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jan 27 2008, 05:37 PM) [snapback]10045[/snapback]

Earlier, there was a thread on what people expected when they came to an RV Park. I'm starting this thread specifically for our expectations on State/County/City parks.

When I read a review of a State Park, I'm getting tired of reading reviews such as..... "It didn't have WiFi or Cable, give it a 2....." or...... "Didn't have a sewer dump at each site, give it a 1." (I can't say for certain that I read these "reviews" on this site, or on the two other review sites, just know that I saw them somewhere.....) It's ok to "mention" that there is no WiFi or Cable, but don't rate a State Park down because it doesn't have it! THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

So, what do we expect, as minimum, at Government funded parks?

JJ :blink:

6. JJZS

JJZS
    Expand Collapse

I chose other. The reason that I prefer my nearby state campgrounds is, the more I camp, the more I dislike the private campgrounds that are nothing more than a 'drunkfest' from sunrise till 2 AM, where unruly children wander around yelling, screaming, swearing, just being plain obnoxious all day and night while their parents pretty much do the same thing :angry:. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy an adult beverage or two(sometimes more..) but I don't agree with being drunk at 10 AM and I refuse to have my kids witness this kind of behavior. Some states in the northeast prohibit alcohol in the parks and this cuts down on that kind of problem. If you are drinking a 'disguised' beverage and are behaving like an adult, the park rangers will not even give you a second glance as they go by.
    Thanks for letting me rant and share my opinion. :D

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

JJZS,

Where in the world have you been staying??? Or did you stay at one private park that was like you describe, and so you're condemning them all? Not all private parks are drunkfests, and at any given time any other type of cg can be that way. We have stayed at a lot of private parks, and we have never encountered a drunkfest--although there have been a few times that there were unruly children and/or adults were a little too loud. Course we know that the next place we stay at could be just like you describe, and we would not like that kind of atmosphere either, but I don't plan to blast all private campgrounds because we had a bad experience at one. Some places tend to be more "party" places than others, so we (and you) just need to be very careful and do our homework when we are deciding where to stay.

8. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

I like state parks because they are inexpensive for what you get. I don't expect hookups for less than $20 a night (I am in Connecticut). But I like the large sites, basic but maintained bathrooms, roads and grounds maintained at a reasonable level.

Also, the state parks around me usually have pretty extensive hiking trails, bike riding trails, beach (if they are on the water), many times some interesting historical buildings and/or history.

Around me, I go to state parks expecting to dry camp, so I don't give a low rating when I know (and know in advance) that there will be no hookups.

What I hate are private campgrounds that charge a lot, you get tiny tiny tiny sites, and the place is poorly maintained and unlevel. Far to many private campground websites are VERY misleading on what is actually there.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JJZS @ Jun 16 2008, 06:14 PM) [snapback]11892[/snapback]

I chose other. The reason that I prefer my nearby state campgrounds is, the more I camp, the more I dislike the private campgrounds that are nothing more than a 'drunkfest' from sunrise till 2 AM, where unruly children wander around yelling, screaming, swearing, just being plain obnoxious all day and night while their parents pretty much do the same thing :angry:. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy an adult beverage or two(sometimes more..) but I don't agree with being drunk at 10 AM and I refuse to have my kids witness this kind of behavior. Some states in the northeast prohibit alcohol in the parks and this cuts down on that kind of problem. If you are drinking a 'disguised' beverage and are behaving like an adult, the park rangers will not even give you a second glance as they go by.
    Thanks for letting me rant and share my opinion. :D

And you haven't seen this behavior in a state park? What State Parks do you use? I want to go there!

I like state parks because they are inexpensive for what you get. I don't expect hookups for less than $20 a night (I am in Connecticut). But I like the large sites, basic but maintained bathrooms, roads and grounds maintained at a reasonable level.

Tom, in Connecticut the hookups are ONLY $20??? Heck, in WA state, it's up to $31 for hookTpups! Worth it for the very NICE and picturesque ones, but when you are paying that much in the small ones.....

JJ

10. JJZS

JJZS
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 17 2008, 12:40 AM) [snapback]11898[/snapback]

JJZS,

Where in the world have you been staying??? Or did you stay at one private park that was like you describe, and so you're condemning them all? Not all private parks are drunkfests, and at any given time any other type of cg can be that way. We have stayed at a lot of private parks, and we have never encountered a drunkfest--although there have been a few times that there were unruly children and/or adults were a little too loud. Course we know that the next place we stay at could be just like you describe, and we would not like that kind of atmosphere either, but I don't plan to blast all private campgrounds because we had a bad experience at one. Some places tend to be more "party" places than others, so we (and you) just need to be very careful and do our homework when we are deciding where to stay.

I am in no way condemning all private parks. I have stayed in some very nice private parks. To clarify, I dislike the private parks that allow this behavior to occur even though there are clearly posted rules and guidelines pertaining to this. At alot of the private parks I have stayed at, the quiet hours enforcement is a joke. I personally have had a more relaxing,quiet experience in my local state parks.

11. JJZS

JJZS
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 17 2008, 06:47 PM) [snapback]11913[/snapback]

And you haven't seen this behavior in a state park? What State Parks do you use? I want to go there!

If you visit state parks where alcohol is banned such as in Rhode Island, Maine and several in Connecticut, the obnoxious behavoir is greatly reduced. There are plenty of state parks that are party places, I don't camp at those.

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

JJZS,

Apologies! When I read your first post it sounded to me like you thought all private parks were nothing but drunkfests. However, after reading your second post I reread your first one and decided that maybe I misinterpreted your words. Now I think you were saying you don't like private parks (or probably any other kinds of parks) that have become drunkfests--not that you think all private parks are drunkfests. Have I made sense? :blink: I do think we agree that neither of us likes drunkfests although an adult beverage in moderation is OK. Just be sure to write a review on those private parks you are talking about so that we can avoid them.

13. JJZS

JJZS
    Expand Collapse

:huh: QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 17 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]11925[/snapback]

JJZS,

Apologies! When I read your first post it sounded to me like you thought all private parks were nothing but drunkfests. However, after reading your second post I reread your first one and decided that maybe I misinterpreted your words. Now I think you were saying you don't like private parks (or probably any other kinds of parks) that have become drunkfests--not that you think all private parks are drunkfests. Have I made sense? :blink: I do think we agree that neither of us likes drunkfests although an adult beverage in moderation is OK. Just be sure to write a review on those private parks you are talking about so that we can avoid them.

Sorry for any confusion. Yes, I guess what I was trying to say is, in my personal experience, I have come across alot less of this type of nonsense in the state parks that I visit. I have only reviewed a couple of places, but will continue to review the parks that I stay at. Now that I have found great review sites, like this one, it has become alot easier to choose decent campgrounds and to steer clear of the bad ones.

14. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JJZS @ Jun 17 2008, 09:27 PM) [snapback]11929[/snapback]

...Now that I have found great review sites, like this one, it has become alot easier to choose decent campgrounds and to steer clear of the bad ones.

Here, here! B)
    Welcome aboard!

15. florida08

florida08
    Expand Collapse

The majority of our trips and park reviews for that matter are of national / state / county parks. The primary reasons we prefer these to private campgrounds are; a more rustic and natural setting, more hiking trails and informative naturalist / ranger programs.

Our expectations are rather simple. Going in, we know we're going to be dry camping. I'd have it no other way. The more secluded our site, all the better. Clean showers / restrooms. This is a major expectation since no electric hook-up equals no hot water. Adequate security. Frequent ranger patrols are reassuring especially in certain state parks where we may be the lone camper in an entire loop. Lastly we've come to expect strict enforcement of the park's "Generator Policy". Far too often in parks without any hookups we've encountered people who completely ignore the park's policy on times generators can be operated. My position is this, either segregate the generator equipped rigs to certain areas of the campground or strictly enforce the rules that are in place. The last thing I want while preparing and eating diner is the rig next to me firing up his generator so he can run his A/C while dining in his coach. Through others and my input Shenandoah NP has finally established "Generator Free Loops" for campers such as us who feel the sounds of a noisy generator is both disgusting and distracting.

Everyone out here has their own opinion of the perfect RV lifestyle. It just so happens that national / state / county parks fill our camping needs 99% of the time.

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(florida08 @ Jun 30 2008, 10:08 AM) [snapback]12126[/snapback]

The majority of our trips and park reviews for that matter are of national / state / county parks. The primary reasons we prefer these to private campgrounds are; a more rustic and natural setting, more hiking trails and informative naturalist / ranger programs.

Our expectations are rather simple. Going in, we know we're going to be dry camping. I'd have it no other way. The more secluded our site, all the better. Clean showers / restrooms. This is a major expectation since no electric hook-up equals no hot water. Adequate security. Frequent ranger patrols are reassuring especially in certain state parks where we may be the lone camper in an entire loop. Lastly we've come to expect strict enforcement of the park's "Generator Policy". Far too often in parks without any hookups we've encountered people who completely ignore the park's policy on times generators can be operated. My position is this, either segregate the generator equipped rigs to certain areas of the campground or strictly enforce the rules that are in place. The last thing I want while preparing and eating diner is the rig next to me firing up his generator so he can run his A/C while dining in his coach. Through others and my input Shenandoah NP has finally established "Generator Free Loops" for campers such as us who feel the sounds of a noisy generator is both disgusting and distracting.

Everyone out here has their own opinion of the perfect RV lifestyle. It just so happens that national / state / county parks fill our camping needs 99% of the time.

I hardly ever run my generator, the state parks where I live usually have good shade, or I don't go in the summer time, one or the other... Also, being a solo, I will only stay at a state park if at least two other RV's are there. I don't want to be the only one. Same thing with boondocking, I won't boondock if I'm the only one. There is a great BLM boondocking site in Oregon near Rufus off I-84, it's right on Columbia River. It's a great spot, but again, I will only stay there if at least 2 RV's are there.

JJ

17. pilgrim

pilgrim
    Expand Collapse

Being new at this trailering thing, we've ONLY stayed at some of Ohio's State Parks. They all have electricity only with pump outs upon leaving the site. Water is available to fill our tanks but no direct water hook ups. But, they are very clean, flush toilets, showers, trails for hiking, swimming (at most - lake or pool), stores and ranger patroled. We've stayed at four of them and have reservations at three others. We have found them all to be quiet and very comfortable. I would guess that eventually we'll have a "bad" time at one of them, but to date, all have been very comfortable - with electricity only. We look forward to the camping experience when we have full hook ups - but not at one of Ohio's State Parks. They are in the process of getting WiFi at all parks but only at a handful right now.

Come to Ohio and enjoy our State Parks.
    Prodigy brake controls
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
    Than to open it and remove all doubt."

18. danamrak

danamrak
    Expand Collapse

We've enjoyed many state parks and Federal parks as well as some great county parks. Very seldom use private campgrounds.

19. muddysuzi

muddysuzi
    Expand Collapse

I camp to get away from civilization, computers, televisions, loud people and invasive home telephones.

I only expect a roomy campsite for a fair rate. I've camped for thirty two years now and still tent camp, I love it you all. We camp in the rain, we camp in the mud, we camp without running water (we bring our own) and electricity (we mastered the art of cooking over an open fire) and although it is a little bit of work, it makes for fantastic adventure! Especially when you are cooking supper over the fire, it starts to downpour and you hold a beach umbrella over the fire. Now THAT is fun!

I don't understand why people go camping and want cable, wi fi and other luxuries unless they are on an extended stay.

Enjoy your family, enjoy the quiet of nature and make memories that don't involve technology. Thank God for the beauty that surrounds us all.

20. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Muddy,

Welcome aboard. If you peruse a lot of the forum topics in this forum you will realize that many folks here are at a different stage of life than you and are not "camping". I, for one, was doing the kind of camping you describe in your delightful post from before you were born until the early 1990's. Been there, done that, and enjoyed the hell out of it until I was into my 40s. Enjoy it while you can. Someday you may lose the desire or ability to be that adventurous. Don't be too hard on those of us who no longer have your youth, energy, and vitality.