What Do You Expect In A State/county/city Park?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DXSMac, Jan 27, 2008.

?

What is the minimum you expect?

1. Expect to dry camp, grateful if hookups available

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sites should at least have elec, I can bring my own water.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. All sites should at least have elec and water

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. I expect my own sewer dump in addition to water and elec

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I expect WiFi and Cable (in addition to other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I WANT IT ALL!!!! (whatever that means)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jul 8 2008, 10:44 PM) [snapback]12196[/snapback]

Muddy,

Welcome aboard. If you peruse a lot of the forum topics in this forum you will realize that many folks here are at a different stage of life than you and are not "camping". I, for one, was doing the kind of camping you describe in your delightful post from before you were born until the early 1990's. Been there, done that, and enjoyed the hell out of it until I was into my 40s. Enjoy it while you can. Someday you may lose the desire or ability to be that adventurous. Don't be too hard on those of us who no longer have your youth, energy, and vitality.

You explained that well, Jerry. And if they don't listen, you can hit them with your cane and run over them with your wheelchair. Just kidding!! :lol:

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I enjoy camping at public parks for the privacy and location. I would like water and electric, but here in BC the provincial parks are basic sites with no hookups. I overlook that situation and adapt. However, IMHO, Oregon has some of the best state parks. Where else can you get a full hookup site and some of the best scenery in the country for less than $20(off season)?

3. angel12

angel12
    Expand Collapse

I t is more than sufficient if we have water and power. Idon't expect any more because I spend little bit time in these kind of parks.

4. Tom Ponder

Tom Ponder
    Expand Collapse

We just stayed in a city park in Michigans UP at Gladstone. Full hookups including sewer and WiFi on a nice big pull thru site for $20 a night on the shores of lake Michigan and within walking distance to the downtown. Best value we have found in a long time. Even at these prices I was told the city turns a profit. Also the townsip park at Grand Marais on Lake Superior was a great value at $25. No sewer or WiFi[although I was able to log onto a unsecured site] but it did include cable TV. Many of the State Parks in Michigan have small sites with elec but no water. I agree, you should check out what they have before you get there and not go if thats not what you want.

5. bonscott

bonscott
    Expand Collapse

Good thread. I do hate people that mark down great state/national parks because they "don't have sewer", "have so many trees I couldn't get my satellite going" or "had too much dirt". Too much dirt or trees? It's a state park for crying out loud.

What I think some people seem to rate parks at is all on the same scale. A 10 is a full hookup with pool and laundry service while a 2 is a rustic campground. Ummm, I would highly recommend that people rate a park *based on what it is*, not all parks compared to each other.
    I have rated the high end RV park a 9 or 10 and I have rated a rustic campground with just vault toilets also a 9 or 10. Just because the rustic didn't have hookups doesn't mean it should be marked down at all (for that reason anyway). So I'll rank all rustics against each other, electric/water only places together and RV resorts all together.

So yes, it's all about expectations. I have a certain expectation when I visit an RV resort vs. a rustic spot. Both can be 10s, both can be 1s.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(bonscott @ Jul 23 2008, 12:28 PM) [snapback]12384[/snapback]

Good thread. I do hate people that mark down great state/national parks because they "don't have sewer", "have so many trees I couldn't get my satellite going" or "had too much dirt". Too much dirt or trees? It's a state park for crying out loud.

What I think some people seem to rate parks at is all on the same scale. A 10 is a full hookup with pool and laundry service while a 2 is a rustic campground. Ummm, I would highly recommend that people rate a park *based on what it is*, not all parks compared to each other.
    I have rated the high end RV park a 9 or 10 and I have rated a rustic campground with just vault toilets also a 9 or 10. Just because the rustic didn't have hookups doesn't mean it should be marked down at all (for that reason anyway). So I'll rank all rustics against each other, electric/water only places together and RV resorts all together.

So yes, it's all about expectations. I have a certain expectation when I visit an RV resort vs. a rustic spot. Both can be 10s, both can be 1s.

HEAR HEAR!!!!!

:D

JJ

7. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

I think that this poll isn't the complete question. While we don't generally spend much time in parks that don't have at least water & electricity, that don't mean that we think that they should not have such. I really think that if they want RV customers they need a mix of the different types of site.

It is also a question of who the park wishes to serve. There is a need for parks that serve the modern, fully equipped RV and also for the folks who only own a tent and even to serve the folks who walk in with all of their equipment on their backs.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kirk @ Aug 16 2008, 04:16 PM) [snapback]12791[/snapback]

I think that this poll isn't the complete question. While we don't generally spend much time in parks that don't have at least water & electricity, that don't mean that we think that they should not have such. I really think that if they want RV customers they need a mix of the different types of site.

It is also a question of who the park wishes to serve. There is a need for parks that serve the modern, fully equipped RV and also for the folks who only own a tent and even to serve the folks who walk in with all of their equipment on their backs.

I get kind of irritated when I see a tent occupying a utility spot, but I guess if they want to pay the price for a utility spot, they should be able to occupy it with a tent.

JJ

9. DRS

DRS
    Expand Collapse

I have stayed at a few state parks (Arizona) and they are great places to visit with hiking trails, fishing ponds/lakes, and lots of opportunities to photograph wildlife. They generally have at least water & electric with a central dump station (some have sewer at each site). The only downside to state parks is they do not accept reservations. They are all first come-first serve. This is not a problem during the off season, but I don't want to drive over 200 miles or more to find out the park is full.

10. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 17 2008, 03:47 PM) [snapback]11913[/snapback]

Tom, in Connecticut the hookups are ONLY $20??? Heck, in WA state, it's up to $31 for hookTpups! Worth it for the very NICE and picturesque ones, but when you are paying that much in the small ones.....
    JJ

Sorry for the big delay in responding!

What I meant was that with most CT state parks under $20 a night, I don't expect hookups and they Don't have them. I am not sure, but I don't think any CT state park campgrounds have hookups (except for a few reserved sites). We camp at two CT State Parks (Hammonassette and Rocky Neck) regularly and they are great. No hookups, but clean water faucets are close enough to fill your fresh water tank. Sites are huge, and the parks are kept clean.

bonscott wrote:
    "I have rated the high end RV park a 9 or 10 and I have rated a rustic campground with just vault toilets also a 9 or 10. Just because the rustic didn't have hookups doesn't mean it should be marked down at all (for that reason anyway). So I'll rank all rustics against each other, electric/water only places together and RV resorts all together.

So yes, it's all about expectations. I have a certain expectation when I visit an RV resort vs. a rustic spot. Both can be 10s, both can be 1s."

I agree completely, and do the same thing.

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We just got thru 2 short stays at a county park (Fort Desoto in St. Pete Beach, Florida) and Myakka St. Park in Sarasota, Fla. I gave both a 8 which is a very unusual score for me. I felt they both deserved it for good reasons. Neither had WiFi, in site sewer. This was all covered in the review stats and plan to see. They both had very great locations and lots of beautiful scenery that compensated I felt. I rated them for what they were and everybody should realize that going it. They both had 50 amp service and good size sites as well as large clean bathrooms. You won’t ever see a deer walk through your site at a KOA. The key to being satisfied is to do your research before you go. If you go to a state park expecting a pool, shuffleboard, and WiFi, you will usually be disappointed. We went to these places as we wanted what we knew they had to offer and were not disappointed at all. You have to compare apples to apples.

12. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jan 27 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]10045[/snapback]

Earlier, there was a thread on what people expected when they came to an RV Park. I'm starting this thread specifically for our expectations on State/County/City parks.

When I read a review of a State Park, I'm getting tired of reading reviews such as..... "It didn't have WiFi or Cable, give it a 2....." or...... "Didn't have a sewer dump at each site, give it a 1." (I can't say for certain that I read these "reviews" on this site, or on the two other review sites, just know that I saw them somewhere.....) It's ok to "mention" that there is no WiFi or Cable, but don't rate a State Park down because it doesn't have it! THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

In Washington State, NONE of the State Parks (and I'm sure this is also true of City or County Parks) have cable or WiFi. And, when I visit a state park, I do not expect this to be provided. Further, in Washington State, you are LUCKY if each site has a sewer hookup. Generally, in Washington State, you get electric (30 amp, 50 if it's one of the nicer parks...) and water. The sewer is in a "common" area on your way out of the park. You are also lucky if the pads are even paved! Or Level!

When I arrive at a State Park, my expectations are that I will dry camp, but if there are "hookup" sites available, I will say, "oh wow!" and politely request one. Further, when you visit a state park, those "experiences" are for you to "experience" the great outdoors, not to have Cable or WiFi!

So, what do we expect, as minimum, at Government funded parks?

JJ :blink:

Unless I'm hosting there, I generally don't stay in government funded parks. However, if I did, I would hope for at least electric and water. To go further, I'd also like 50 amp service.

I've hosted (and stayed) at state parks in (to mention a few) Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Colorado and Florida and they all had at least some FHU. Not all had 50 amp, but some of them did. Some had wifi (Oregon, Texas, and Colorado off the top of my head).

Why won't I generally stay at state parks when not hosting you ask? Because I normally stay in one place for over a month and you can't stay at state parks for over two weeks except during the off season.