What Is Reasonable?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by coacbcps, May 17, 2010.

1. controlled.madness

controlled.madness
    Expand Collapse

I'm about to start on my first RV trip. The trip will be in June and the start of July.
    The RV is hired and as I have not done this before I have been booking the sites in advance. Most of the sites are in parks but the few I have booked outside parks seem to be priced around $40.
    However I took out membership of "Passport America" which in most cases gives a 50 percent discount for the first 2 nights.
    I am surprised that no one seems to mention this.
    Of course I haven't seen if the sites are any good and live up to the descriptions.

2. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tom @ May 24 2010, 08:18 AM) [snapback]22220[/snapback]

I am used to $30-40 a night for "normal" campgrounds with hookups, at $50 or more I am expecting a pretty nice place. We'll see how this summer turns out... our first camping weekend is next weekend.

As to Fort Wilderness at Disney World, we went in 2008 in October and got a discount by booking through AAA - we were around $45 a night. Even double that (~$90 a night), I would venture to say that place is worth it. Taking a water ferry to Magic Kingdom -- it is hard to beat that!

AAA was running a discount special in January... which meant you just had to make your reservations during that month, you didn't have to go to Disney then. We made our reservations for October 2008 in January 2008, and got a big discount.

Great idea! I might just start planning for next October. I've been to Disney in August and it was disgustingly hot and humid. October sounds so much better. By the way, how was your first camping trip of the season?

3. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

lol! I'll tell you how the trip was after the weekend! Wife is basically freaking out... very little has been planned, especially for meals. We are meeting at least 4 families, and they are saying "Oh, we don't need to plan... just bring some food and we'll be fine... we always have to much anyways...". I don't see this working out well, lol. I will just keep "lol'ing" the whole time...

The weather at Disney World in October was spectacular. Crowds were very minimal, we rarely had to wait for anything. If we did have to wait, it would be like 15 minutes. Basically bring a windbreaker / light coat for possible chilly mornings and that is it. We were swimming all the time.

4. adventure

adventure
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(coacbcps @ May 17 2010, 04:57 PM) [snapback]22147[/snapback]

When I read other people's review about a campground sometimes they will say that it was overpriced. Most of the time the price is in the $40-$50 range for one night. I live on the east coast and it seems as if ALL the campgrounds (with the exception of state parks) cost $40 or more. I would like to know: Where do you live? What do you consider a reasonable price for one night? Is $40 a reasonable price if there is a pool and weekend activities? Is $40 a reasonable price in the summer? On weekends? etc. What kind of campground can one get for less that $40? :huh: What price would you consider to be ridiculously overpriced for one night? $50, $60, etc.

QUOTE(MaineDon @ May 21 2010, 04:25 PM) [snapback]22202[/snapback]

Although we have, on occasion, paid more, we like to stay under $35-$40 per night. Parks justify their elevated rates in terms of the "amenities" offered........but most of the "amenities" are of little interest to us (e.g., fancy clubhouses, miniature golf courses, video arcades). When we can fit, we prefer state parks and Forest Service campgrounds.

Yeah if only they had Wi-Fi...it would be perfect.

5. HappyCampie

HappyCampie
    Expand Collapse

Wow. We just started camping and we have been paying between $20-$30. We live in the midwest and have camped in IL, Mo, and OH. I can't imagine paying more than that to camp in my own trailer and plug in. You can stay in any walmart parking lot or rest area for free. You can't hook-up but its an option at least. Its what camping is all about. Why buy a camper if you're going to pay $80-$100 stay in a hotel. :)

6. bilmo

bilmo
    Expand Collapse

Durring our trip through New England last summer, we ran into several parks above $50/night. We use PA and CCUSA and use their systems where possible to defray camping costs. Currently we are at a wonderful CG near Alpina MI that we wouldn't have selected except for PA. Sometimes you are put in a less desireable section and the discount isn't always avilable.