What Should I Have Done?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Ohiojude, Sep 22, 2009.

1. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Oct 26 2009, 08:33 AM) [snapback]19748[/snapback]

We probably would. :) I understand where you're coming from, but at least for the safety of those I'm camping with and also myself, I wouldn't confront a bunch of loud-mouthed drunks much less go onto their campsite and take a cooler or turn on the water, etc...., to me that's just asking for more trouble. And, you never know what they'd do in return. I, personally, would notify law enforcement or a park ranger, but, again, that's just me.

I frequent a lot of state parks and in PA having alcohol is prohibited and while that doesn't stop campers from bringing it into the campgrounds and consuming it, it does seem to cut down on the irresponsible drinking to a large extent.

Beginning November 1st, alcohol will be banned in Maryland state park campgrounds unless you obtain a permit that cost $35.00 and can only be used at designated locations, such as a park shelter. According to their policy, you can't even consume alcohol in your trailer, tent, pop-up or camping cabins...the only exceptions are the full service cabins and motorhomes...yes, motorhomes...they have some type of law that exempts motorhomes, lol...go figure. I've read on another forum where campers with reservations after November 1st have recently been contacted by Maryland DNR to remind them of the new policy. I just wonder exactly how they're going to implement such a policy....I can't see them checking inside every travel trailer, tent, pop-up or camping cabin to make sure no one is drinking.

I don't drink alcoholic beverages while camping, so this doesn't affect me any way, I will still frequent MD state parks, but I've read where some will not go there any more if they're not allowed to responsibly have a beer or an alcoholic beverage at their site and cause no trouble. I do understand what they're saying...it seems though just because the irresponsibility of a few drinkers everyone who drinks will pay the price.

And, honestly, if MD DNR really wanted to have the safety in mind, I can't see why they'd offer "permits"...seems to me, that just sounds like another way to make a few $$$'s and has nothing to do with safety of the campers.

You have some valid points. Its just that some people can be SO annoying to everyone around them!!
    Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with drinking a beer or two, and I do enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot summer day. Most campsites that have rules against alcoholic beverages just look the other way when people are responsible. But the rules are there if some people do get out of hand. I personally do not like to punish the masses for the bad judgments of the few. I live in a county that until a couple of years ago was a "dry" county. One could not buy alcohol anywhere. It is now a "moist" county, meaning that alcohol can be bought in a restaurant to consume with your meal. And whats funny, our DUI's are still very high, even when the county was dry!!! So alot of good that did!
    Happy camping!

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Oct 26 2009, 04:58 PM) [snapback]19754[/snapback]

You have some valid points. Its just that some people can be SO annoying to everyone around them!!
    Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with drinking a beer or two, and I do enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot summer day. Most campsites that have rules against alcoholic beverages just look the other way when people are responsible. But the rules are there if some people do get out of hand. I personally do not like to punish the masses for the bad judgments of the few. I live in a county that until a couple of years ago was a "dry" county. One could not buy alcohol anywhere. It is now a "moist" county, meaning that alcohol can be bought in a restaurant to consume with your meal. And whats funny, our DUI's are still very high, even when the county was dry!!! So alot of good that did!
    Happy camping!

I do agree with you that some people can be really annoying and if it's to the point where they're causing a nuisance then they should be reported. Like I said, before I do understand why you would want to take an annoying campers cooler or turn the water on, etc., but if you're caught doing that, you're the one that will pay for it, not them. :(

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

The suggestion, from those who have performed the duty, about contacting the camp host is valid. However, not all hosts are created equal. With respect to enforcing rules, some are good at that job and some are not. A good one will minimize the problem without you having to complain and before they are awakened at midnight. However, some are invisible when issues of this type arise. Regardless, give the host an opportunity to fix the problem, but keep in mind that they aren’t wearing a badge, carrying a gun, or even have the authority to evict an unruly group.

I would ask how many of you actually read all of the rules that are posted in any campground. As was mentioned in this thread, most offending campers are simply unaware of the rules of the campground. But if you do not have the skill to voice your concerns to offenders with tact, I would not recommend a confrontation. Having a baseball bat or thinking that drunk loudmouths fall easily gives me the impression of being tactless.

In response to the original question of “What should I have done”, I would respectfully suggest that you give the host an opportunity to correct the problem. If that doesn’t work, then ignore it as best you can until the next day and then start calling Rangers. It is very unlikely that calling a Ranger will not solve the issue, but if it doesn’t, then leave the campground. After all, who wants to be in a campground where you feel unsafe or annoyed because neither the Ranger staff nor the host is doing their job?

4. languiduck

languiduck
    Expand Collapse

If you are too uncomfortable to at least go ask them nicely to obey the quiet rules and point out they are bothering the whole campsite, then that truly is a shame. If that doesn't work, then make the call to the host or Ranger.

Me personally, I don't get mad. I get even. Most of the time people will get quiet by me going over and asking, not that it happens a lot at the state parks. And if they don't, it isn't worth finding someone that will make them so I bring ear plugs and a fan to drown out the noise. So I can always go to sleep while they stay up in the wee hours of the morning. So when I get up at 6 a.m. I make them suffer. Use your imagination, bull horns, train horns, air horns, music, screaming kids; you get the idea.

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(languiduck @ Oct 28 2009, 04:52 AM) [snapback]19771[/snapback]

If you are too uncomfortable to at least go ask them nicely to obey the quiet rules and point out they are bothering the whole campsite, then that truly is a shame. If that doesn't work, then make the call to the host or Ranger.

Me personally, I don't get mad. I get even. Most of the time people will get quiet by me going over and asking, not that it happens a lot at the state parks. And if they don't, it isn't worth finding someone that will make them so I bring ear plugs and a fan to drown out the noise. So I can always go to sleep while they stay up in the wee hours of the morning. So when I get up at 6 a.m. I make them suffer. Use your imagination, bull horns, train horns, air horns, music, screaming kids; you get the idea.

For me, personally, I'm not too uncomfortable to go and at least ask them nicely to turn it down if I'm dealing with people who are perhaps playing music too loud or talking very loudly and who are doing so when it appears there's no alcohol involved. However, if I see that these people are drinking and ignoring the rules of the campground and acting as such, then that's when I turn to the proper authorities to handle, whether it be security or a ranger or if need be, the police.

I guess it really depends on what type of personal experiences you've had as to how you would handle such problems. For me, having experienced an intoxicated camper next to me a few years ago who started yelling loud threats to kill people, that type of situation is one I did not go down and try to talk nicely to...I called 911 instead and he was carted off to jail with a few of his friends.

As for how you make them suffer, I guess that wouldn't be a bad idea if just you and them were the only people in the campground, but I don't think it would be right to have other campers who have acted responsibly have to hear your bull horns, train horns, air horns, etc.

6. olivercamper

olivercamper
    Expand Collapse

We own a private campground and "quiet hour" is a "biggy" for us! We don't go to sleep until
    we are sure the quite hours rules are working. As a campground owner, we want to know if someone or something is keeping you up at night. We certainly want you to return to camp with us and if there is a problem with noise you won't!. If you are staying in a private park, first try calling the park telephone number as most keep the lines open at night for emergency calls. If not, go knock on the door of the owner/manager. They will not get upset with you, once again, they want to know if there is a problem, while it is happening, not the next morning.

In a state/federal/county park, find the camp host or ranger. If that does not work call 911 if you think the "activity" is or will turn bad.

QUOTE(Kirk @ Sep 28 2009, 05:30 PM) [snapback]19303[/snapback]

We have served as a campground host at several parks in several states and I very much agree that the host is the first person to contact, if there is one. If not, there must be some number for late night problems. I do not advise that you try to deal with this yourself, unless you happen to be a professional.

I have a friend who is not only a law enforcement officer, but he is way over 6' tall and his hobby is body building. For him, dealing with such things is pretty routine, but most of us are better to leave that to people who have training and authority.

One question is, were there rules and were they prominently posted, or given to new arrivals? It is very possible that they did not know, or that they just did not thing.

An incident comes to mind from our most recent campground hose experience. There was a knock on our door at about 10:30 or 11pm, just after we had retired for the night. A pair of very excited ladies said that there was a large group of very drunk young folks across from them who were screaming and making all kinds of noise. I first made contact with the law enforcement dispatcher (we were in one of our national parks) but no LE was available because there was a rescue of a fallen rock climber going on at the time. They did say that they would send a sheriff's officer as a back-up, but that it could be an hour or more before one could get to us. We agreed that I would deal with the people, while my wife watched and remained in contact with the dispatcher.

I made a point of driving our electric cart, lights on over to the site in question. As I went I noticed that the coyotes were howling quite close to the campground. As I arrived on site the young folks let loose with an imitation of the coyotes, to see if they could get the real coyotes to respond. As it turns out, the young people were from the city and did not know that coyotes will reply to even a fair imitation of their calls. There were no drunks and in fact all that it really was is a case of young campers who didn't think because they were enthralled with the wildlife! In fact, when I approached, they not only apologized to me, but they went across to the two ladies and did the same there. The immediately doused the fire and all went to bed with a great deal of embarrassment for having failed to think!

You might be surprised by how often such things are just failure to think and nothing more. But there are times when people do become angry so it is usually best if a uniformed person deals with such problems.

7. way2ole

way2ole
    Expand Collapse

Actually there is an alternative.......call the Police and report it.

We had the exact same situation while in Florida one time and the management would not do anything so I simply called the police and they came out and took care of it.

What most of us do not realize/consider is any "disburbing the peace" law that is on the books for an area ....covers that entire area.... and RV Parks are not exempt.

8. GrandmaM

GrandmaM
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    I'm coming in late on the topic, but caution everyone against confronting anyone, and against sabotaging any other camper's possessions. It's a good way to to get shot. A lot of campers, especially those with short fuses, carry guns in their rigs. I know, no campground allows guns, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone who thinks he needs a gun to protect himself and and all the stuff he owns. The old American "frontiersman" mentality is alive and well, and when you add in alcohol and/or drugs, you could have a volatile situation.
    Instead, if you cannot find an authority figure to help, ignore the idiots, put in some ear plugs, and sleep tight. You'll live to camp another day, and they won't have had the pleasure of your company. :lol:

9. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GrandmaM @ Dec 29 2009, 11:29 AM) [snapback]20489[/snapback]

especially those with short fuses, carry guns in their rigs.

I was unaware of that.... learn something new everyday!

10. smplmIII

smplmIII
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rangiebob @ Sep 22 2009, 12:34 PM) [snapback]19119[/snapback]

I feel for you in this situation. If you don't feel comfortable going over and politely reminding them that it's quiet hours and you are trying to sleep, which may or may not work, call the emergency after hours number that is probably posted and report it to the ranger. I don't like confrontations either and would have immediately called the ranger. The rules are for everyone and it's too bad that some think they are immune to them.

been there before I talked to the people making the noise asked them to please hold it down they said they paid their money and they will make all the noise they wanted, told them that I would call the rrangers let them know about the situation and they said to f#@!#@$%k off so I got with the other campers and at 6 am we turned up the radios on country stations :lol: and made loud noises turned on the car alarms. there was no way that they could sleep late into the morning they finaly got the hint and moved on, good ridance. :lol: B)