Where To Start?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by GACampers, Jun 8, 2012.

1. GACampers

GACampers
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I have recently (1 week for me) retired and want to travel all over the US. We have limited our travels to GA and FL in the past due to time constraints. GA is our home base and I am very overwhelmed about where to go first. I would like to start with a 2-3 week trip. We pull a 30' travel trailer. Any suggestions?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Wow, where to start is right. In order to make some suggestions tell us a few thing about yourself. What type of activities do you like? Hiking? Bicycling? Fishing? Touring big cities, historical sites/cities, museums, scenic places? Beaches? Mountains? There is such a variety of places it will be helpful to know what you like to see/do when you travel.

3. GACampers

GACampers
    Expand Collapse

We like scenic trips, day trip hiking. Would rather stay away from the big cities.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Have you been to all the State Parks in GA yet? State has some nice ones to visit.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Are there budget constraints? If not, pick a place to be a destination--then research items of interest to you along the way. For example because of my own work I'd want to visit a piano factory.

6. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

For that short a trip, I would suggest that, for starters, you go the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the TN/NC border. Of course, I'd be surprised if you haven't already been there since you live in GA. If you have not been to GSMNP, from there you can go over to Ashville, NC and head northeast on the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you have been to GSMNP and don't feel like seeing it again, you can simply start in Ashville. The BRP will take you maybe 300 miles northeast to Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park in VA. If you have any time left over, you can hit some of the historic sites in VA as you head back south.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Stick with the Smokies in the heat of the summer. To save money, join Passport America and learn the joys of overnighting at Wal-Mart. It will broaden your horizons. Make sure your tow vehicle is in good condition and that the brakes are in excellent shape. We have been in all of the lower 48 states and there isn't one where we couldn't go back and spend additional time. America is a very big place. Stay off the big roads and see it up close. Eat out at least once a day and develop a real B type personality for camping. It is about the trip, not the destination and it isn't a race.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I second both Jerry and Lindsay. The mountains would be great in the summer. The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive are really beautiful. Another historic Trail is the Natchez Trace Parkway. It is nice also, but my first choice would be BRP.

We have also enjoyed the Outer Banks, NC, but I imagine they would be quite crowded in the summer. Actually most places are more crowded in the summer so we take our trips during the other 3 seasons. Now that you are retired you can consider doing that, too. I'll bet the mountains would be really pretty in their fall color.

It also took us a while after we retired to get out of the "schedule" mode. We have finally learned to do as Lindsay says. Slow down, stay longer in a place if you want to, see the backroads and small towns. Congratulations on your retirement and have fun.

9. GACampers

GACampers
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I do need to practice getting out of the scheduling mode.

10. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

I also agree with the above, slow down, take your time, and enjoy the gift you have to be able to see the things you want to. As you spread out further, you might think about the Upper Penninsula of Michigan or the gulf coast of LA and Texas. If you have never been and can do it, take a month or two and make your way out to the northern Rockies or even the Pacific coast...Nothern California through Washington state is amazing...then there is that bucket list trip up to Alaska along the Alaska Highway, that has to be one of the most incredible voyages I have ever done (did it four times so far) and there was seriously never a dull moment all along the route.

11. wantacampground

wantacampground
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are basically in the same situation. We traded our boat and purchased an RV. We live in Florida and have been doing very small trips....mostly because we are both still working. We have gone all around FL, been up to Kentucky and S. Georgia so far. We stopped along the way to Kentucky and fell in love with North Carolina....smoky/blue ridge mountains.

We are getting ready to take another trip up to the NC area over the week of the 4th of July and have planned out the entire trip... ;-) Can't help ourselves.

I come from a family who camped growing up and I can honestly say that I agree with what most have said about just getting out there. There is so much to see. I am from the Upper Michigan area originally and it is absolutely beautiful. (go in the fall) The West Coast from Washington down to S. CA is again something to see and enjoy. You could spend a month in just TX...so much to see and a very large area to cover.

Enjoy the freedom a RV brings.

I can't wait till I can do this full time!!!!

12. Frank Rader

Frank Rader
    Expand Collapse

To learn about US:
    Tour Days 1 & 2: Dearborn MI for Henry Ford Museum. Tour 2 days. Tells the story of industrial development of US, risk capitalism and research, that sets us apart.
    Day 3: Beckley WV for the Exhibition Coal Mine, museum and village. Tells the story of the fuel of the industrial revolution and the underpinnings of the beginning of the labor movement. 1/2 day at mine, the other half in New River Gorge (National Park visitor center)
    Day 4: Kearney NE Archway Museum 1/2 day. Tells story of development of our country. 1/2 day driving Platte River basin, the trails route and the plains allowing our nation to feed ourselves.
    Day 5: Independence MO for the National Trails Museum and the Harry Truman Library, 1/2 day each.
    Day 6: Cody WY for Buffalo Bill museum 1/2 day, then 1/2 day to Yellowstone via Chief Joseph Highway for the view.
    Day 7: Philadelphia for Independence and Constitution Hall and to watch foreigners stand tall for their photo with the Liberty Bell.

I'd build trips around those essentials, picking up along the way
    Fulton MO: W. Churchill gave "Iron Curtain" speak in 1946, 1183 Church of St. Mary, W. Churchill museum and 32 feet of the Berlin wall erected.

Jamestown, VA: English IPO raised money to send men to send back lumber and other stores.

and more.

Travel days are between touring days.

There are others, and this list will get debated, but the point is to pick something from above and head for it. Before you leave research your route and see what is along the way and what can be strung together.