Wifi In Rv Resorts

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by leok22, Sep 17, 2007.

1. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

Good info !! Please keep it coming. Thanx, Robbie

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 4 2008, 02:46 PM) [snapback]11703[/snapback]

Hi Lindsay,

Just did my first range test with the Alfa 500 and the 15 db omni directional antenna. This test is just stuffing the antenna out the drivers window of my car with the antenna hanging down almost touching the ground. The antenna has 25 feet of low loss coax--but the cable is as thick as my index finger--I may try to find something thinner locally.

200 yards internal card no signal
    200 yards with Alfa and 2 db antenna signal strength 40%
    200 yards with Alfa and 15 db antenna signal strength 80%
    480 yards with Alfa and 15 db antenna signal strength 50%

There is another reading for "quality of the link" and it appears that if it is much below 40% then acquiring an IP address for internet use seems to "not happen".

I hope that will keep me in touch with wifi at any campground!

I did notice another "effect" when I was showing the new antenna to the local pc users group. Sometimes *vertical* is not the best signal strength! I'm considering getting a mount of some kind that will allow me to tilt the antenna like the top of a camera tripod to take advantage of this--for I'm sure in most RV parks there will be lots of multipath signals bouncing around as they reflect and refract passing through other motorhomes.

2. travelling5er

travelling5er
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,
    1. top problems - poor signal and staff who simply do not have a clue. (Fast followed by ignorant tech support who tell you all is working fine as they can use it in the office!)

2. Was - we have now brought an unlimited download sprint card $60 per month and we get a reasonable coverage throughout US and some of Canada.

BTW - We use this system to access our cable TV using our Slingbox which we find very handy and saves us buying sat TV.

3. Texas has the right idea - FREE Wifi - costs them about $38K per year but it is being used to reduce the road accidents from fatigue. Now travelers / business people / truckies etc are more likely to stop and check emails etc and have a short break. We used and can highly recommend this system. (Be sure to park somewhere close to the main buildings when using the Internet - wifi is only good for 100 yards.
    cheers...