Will I be OK? 2022 GMC Canyon Denali

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by BIGERN&CO, Nov 22, 2023.

1. BIGERN&CO

BIGERN&CO
    Expand Collapse

Towing a 2023 GEO PRO G20FBS?
    LENGTH 21'-2"
    UVW 3442
    CCC 958
    HITCH 400
    TANKS 31,27,27
    I have a 2022 GMC CANYON DENALI
    Rated for 7000lbs trailering
    Tow package
    Integrated brake controller
    GVWR 6000
    PAYLOAD 1531
    I have never owned a camper and want to be able to let my kids use this combination but want to be safe.. Thanks all for the help!

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I would say from the numbers you posted the Canyon should be able to haul that trailer. It is always a bit scary towing for the first time, or second or third, but it does become easier normally once you get used to what your doing. Giving a new rig to the "kids' might need some instruction and practice before they head out.

Montanna and Fitzjohnfan like this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i can’t answer your question about the tow rating, but I can suggest that before you give the trailer to the kids, you teach them about safe towing techniques, such as crossing the safety chains, checking the ball for proper seating, and doing a walk around to check on lights.

mdcamping, Montanna and weighit like this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just my opinion, make sure you have a good weight distribution with anti sway. Your 400# hitch weight is a dry weight and most likely will be higher and that all accounts for truck payload.

Mike

Tunaman likes this.
  5. Tunaman

Tunaman
    Expand Collapse

I'll voice my experience and some will agree some won't. For whatever it's worth I've owned 4 Travelm trailers fro a 23' Jayco no slides to a Keystone Passport 28' around 7000lb loaded. Hauled all with 1/2 ton trucks, all RAM 1500. Exception being then Keystone which I hauled to the dealer to trade on a 36' 13, lb 5th wheel with an F-250 3/4 ton truck. You WILL feel to some degree sway. Definitely have load leveling hitch and be sure the unit sits level behind the tow vehicle using whatever combo of drop hitch is needed..if properly hitched with working brakes you will have no problem.

6. BIGERN&CO

BIGERN&CO
    Expand Collapse

Hey everyone, I thank you all for your input and opinions.
    We JUST took it home from the dealer this morning and it did ride fine so far.
    We have the integrated brake controller and they installed a Blue Ox WDH. I figure if we keep the speed down and heads up we'll be good. Thanks again, Ern

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i dont know much about trailers, but i have seen these videos about weight distribution which seem to make lots of sence, and may be helpful with your new trailer....