Windshield Water Leaks

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Butch, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

This water leak in the windshield area has me at my wits end. The unit involved is a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer, and has a two piece windshield. I have heard other owners of Holidays voice the same complaint. The servicing Holiday dealer has tried four times to repair, and has slowed the volume of the leakage, but we still have a leak. Have asked at each of the last two repairs that maybe a glass repair shop be called in. They acknowledge that it maybe a good idea, but this has not happened as yet. As everyone knows, water intrusion, even in small amounts, can cause extensive damage over time. Now for 2006, ALL Holidays have a one piece windshield, I can only guess why the change was made. Our next move is to take the motor home to the glass shop ourselves, pay the bill, and fight with Holiday over re-imbursement. Has anyone had this problem, and had a good and favorable outcome ?? The Workhorse dealer has not been able to repair our cab (dash) A/C. The A/C compressor is leaking refrigerant at the shaft seal, but will not replace the compressor. This leakage is evident and noticeable,as dye was added to the refrigerant twice, but their excuse is they can not pin point the location of the leakage. Myself, having retired from work as a mechanic, in the past, and more recently as a Parts Manager, I have some knowledge as to why the problem exist and it's location. As the motor home is in winter storage till spring, we will have to engage those problems in the spring. Any information or opinions would be gladly excepted. Please advise.
    safe travels, enjoy
    Butch

2. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ Mar 18 2003, 01:12 PM)
    Welcome to the campground disscussion board hosted by RV Park Reviews. The rules are simple--this forum is for discussion of RV Parks, RV Resorts and Campgrounds. Any usage other than that will be removed by the webmaster. Please be kind to one another as this is a forum for the enjoyment of all RV'ers. If you wish to post and/or submit a review on this forum you will need to register (it is free and requires a valid email address for validation which can not be retrieved by others from this forum) :p
    [snapback]2[/snapback]

Butch,
    Not trying to be rude here and I appreciate your frustration, but I think you would be better served over on one of the rv websites that could help you more. This website is for rv parks & campgrounds only as you can see from the above from the webmaster. :)

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Genestoy:

I disagree. This site has had discussions on everything from toilet tissue to kids graduating from the police academy to spelling lessons. One of the things that makes it unique and helpful is the openess and "no holds barred" attitude of the webmaster so long as people are civil to each other. I think the question from Butch on an RV windshield and air conditioner is perfectly appropriate for this forum as it is most definitely an RV issue.

4. Blackhawk19

Blackhawk19
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver, I agree with you 100%. Butch I wish I could help you.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Genestoy:

I was not going to respond to your posting, but I will. As per the rules, of the forum, you are entirely correct. The material used in the topic was not in the form of discussion of RV Parks, RV Resorts, and campgrounds. The topic was RV related though. I was looking for experiences of others. But I thank you for bring this failure, on my part, to my attention. One part of this situation bothers me. Why was my posting singled out as the one to invoke the rules against ? I have read at least ten plus topics, on page one of the forum, that also do not fall within the discussion perimeters, and you choose not to say anything to or about those postings. I fail to see your reasoning, please enlighten me. Above all, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Do I believe you were rude ? Yes I do, and that's my opinion.

have a good day, safe travels,

Butch

6. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Butch,
    First of all welcome to the site. I'm sorry your "introduction" got off on a bad foot. But, I really don't think Genestoy meant to be rude. Maybe his wording could have been a little different. I think he was just trying to help you by steering you toward another site that he thinks should be able to give you the answers you need. Hopefully someone on here can help you, but if not, you now have another resource to check out. Please don't get discouraged and leave the site over what may have been just a little misunderstanding.

I'm going to quote one of my favorite people on here now:
    For the most part, you will find the guys (and gals) here to be wonderful people.

I agree with that 100%!

And, I'll say it again, I NEVER corrected anyone's spelling but my own! I don't deliberately launch attacks against other posters.

7. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Butch, but as I said I did not mean to be rude, just trying to help you get a better answer as most folks here are discussing campgrounds and not rv problems. I belong to several other forum websites and some of them have gotten out of hand completely. They post things that have nothing to do with the website or the forum and I realize there have been other topics here also off the subject of campgrounds but not very many, but yours just happened to be the most recent so thought I would bring it to your attention and to others so this wonderful forum and website does not go astray like so many others have done. I did not intend to single out JUST your post, but again make everyone aware of what this forum is all about. :)

By the way there are 566 topics, 2377 replies to those topics and there are only approximately 30 topics that are not about campgrounds. ;)

8. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

One nice thing about forums of this type, you can see by the Topic Title what it is about. If you are not interested, you do not have to read it, you don't even have to open it. You can use your time visiting only the topics that interest you and let everyone else do the same. :wacko:

9. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Cheryl - yes, I did recognize my quote there, and you know you are one of my favorite's too. Us Cheryl's have to stick together. I was a little surprised by this thread, as it made me realize I have been breaking the rules all along. When I have any RV related problem or question at all, I present it to you guys because I know you will have the answer for me. I consider most of you my "motorhome buddies" and I have had no qualms in asking for your advice on many issues. I never even considered it was rv park discussions only. Am I going to change my direction??? No, not unless the webmaster requests that I do. While the intent of this website may be to provide us with info on parks, which I do find invaluable, I also think the fact that we can discuss rv related issues (and sometimes other issues too) is something that bonds us together. By the way, welcome to our forum Butch. I hope someone here does give you some direction in your search for the answer to your leak problem. Okay Beastdriver, what is up - I noticed you didn't tell him what he could do to fix this and I find you always have the solution to my questions!!!!

10. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl Fuller:

I wish I could advise him what to do about his windshield and his air conditioner but it has been my experience, and the experience of many others on this site, that most RV dealers care about their customers until the check clears, and then you're on your own. There are some exceptions, I admit, but it appears that the vast majority don't even attempt good service after the sale. That is why, when I buy my next RV, I will go to Montana or some other sales tax free state. On my last one, I felt I should buy it close to home in case I had some service problems, and I paid around $10,000 in sales tax. But I learned that you get the same shoddy service in most cases no matter where you buy it. So, why pay 5%,6%, 7%, or even more in sales taxes, if you live in a sales tax state. Buy it in a tax free state and don't delude yourself that you will get any better service if you buy from your local dealer. As an industry, the RV industry overall has a miserable record of providing service to customers.

11. Blackhawk19

Blackhawk19
    Expand Collapse

12. Travelin Rose

Travelin Rose
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver,

As I understand it, you do not have to purchase your motorhome in Montana. We have friends that have titled and licensed their motorhomes in Montana. They did not buy them there, nor do they live there.

They had a Montana attorney set up a Montana holding company for them. Montana attorneys advertise in the Escapees and other magazines.

Butch,

The Escapees, irv2 and Open Roads forums might be able to help you with your water leaks and air conditioner problems.

I haven't checked, but Holiday Rambler probably has a forum also.

13. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I have heard that once you set up your Montana "corporation" you can also buy automobiles there with no sales tax. We are definitely going to look into it when the time comes to upgrade our motorhome, which will probably be in the next year or so. We are kicking ourselves for not getting a diesel the first time and also for not getting a bedroom slide. We were newbies to the rv world and just didn't know, but after the first road trip that was longer than a weekend, we were convinced we had not made the best decision for us.

14. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to carefully check out how a purchase and registration in Montana will affect you in your own state. I know that friends of mine who bought in Montana, when they are ready to sell, must sell outside of their state of residence, Florida. If they sell within Florida, the total tax becomes due as I understand it. Anyway, good legal advice, which I plan to get with my next buy, is critical!

15. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Note of explanation.

This was my first attempt at posting a topic, and was not a pleasant experience. It was most educational though. I had second thoughts before posting, and in hindsight, should have not made the posting. Always remember, if your not careful, you will learn something new everyday. I did. My intention was to obtain the opinions of others on my subject matter. In closing, if I did not abide by or use the proper perimeters, let me take this opportunity to apologize to those who took exception with the posting. Thank you to those who did respond and did try to answer my concerns.

safe travels and enjoy your day,

Butch

PS
    Please note that there maybe those
    who maybe watching your postings
    content for rule violations.

16. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Butch, I truly hope that this experience will not prevent you from returning to this website and from posting in the future. Unfortunately, many of us here have come under attack, at one time or another, so just look at it as it happened early for you and you've gotten it out of the way!!! I look forward to reading future posts from you, so don't let me down!!! If I had the "know-how", I would start a website where we could go to discuss rv related issues. Finances and mergers and acquisitions I know, but computers aren't really my forte'. I hope you stick with us.

17. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Butch:

Amen to what Cheryl Fuller says. I once was chastised because I confused Wal-Mart and Wally World (At my age, I sometimes confuse the bathtub and the motorhome). But, anyway, you can't take it personally, and you have to make like a duck in water and let it roll off your back! Welcome to the site, and don't let this experience make you shy about participating in the future.

18. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

All of us need to remember that the written word doesn't always come across the way the writer intended. It is hard to determine if someone is being sarcastic, just trying for a little humor, or innocently trying to be helpful by what they post. In a conversation, you have facial expressions and tone of voice to go by. You don't get that when reading someone's post. We are all adults here and should be able to get along. I think the main purpose of this forum is to help each other not hurt. Let's all "play nice"!

19. abn

abn
    Expand Collapse

Butch,

This may or may not be helpful but I found the following clip on the www.prevost-stuff.com website. Maybe you problem can be fixed by the method discussed.

excerpt...." It's been my experience that some converters believe the rubber around the windshield and side windows is a complete seal in itself--that if a glass is removed and replaced it won't leak. That is NOT true. Butyl sealer is required between the glass and the rubber gasket. It must be pumped in between the two, to the manufacturer's specifications. In heavy rain (30 minutes into it), inspect the inside bottom of the glass at the rubber to see if there is any sign of water. It should be dry. Obviously, each side should be checked individually based on the direction of the weather. "

Hope it helps.

:)

20. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

abn,

Thanks for the response and the information.

thanks again