Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DCP, Feb 11, 2007.

1. DCP

DCP
    Expand Collapse

My husband, a golden retriever, a german shepherd and I are traveling to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Glacier National Parks during the month of May. Because dogs are not allowed on trails in National Parks (but are in National Forests, go figure) we wonder which campgrounds are best for the dogs. We like more primitive camping with large campgrounds for walking, low usage roads nearby or other areas where we can walk with our dogs. We were thinking of Grant Village in Yellowstone.
    Does anyone out there have recommendations? Beyond those areas, we'd love to hear from folks who have found wonderful campgrounds with great walking areas for dogs. Our favorite so far is Fallen Leaf Lake in South Lake Tahoe, California (we live in Central California). Thanks for the help. DCP

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

DCP - we went to those areas last summer. We stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. You said you preferred primative parks, and this one doesn't fit that bill but is very nice, has a dog walking area and they provide potty bags. We would sit outside every evening with the dogs in the X-pen. The park is close enough to town to walk. I haven't stayed at any of the camprgrounds inside the park, but I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions. I called Yellowstone before we went and they said that dogs were allowed in the parking lots but not on the trails, so we left them back in the RV when we went into the park.

3. DCP

DCP
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Feb 12 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]6088[/snapback]

DCP - we went to those areas last summer. We stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. You said you preferred primative parks, and this one doesn't fit that bill but is very nice, has a dog walking area and they provide potty bags. We would sit outside every evening with the dogs in the X-pen. The park is close enough to town to walk. I haven't stayed at any of the camprgrounds inside the park, but I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions. I called Yellowstone before we went and they said that dogs were allowed in the parking lots but not on the trails, so we left them back in the RV when we went into the park.

Thank you Cheryl for responding. We definitely want to take the dogs into the park with us and stay in the park. I'm hoping someone will tell me which campground will provide the most area to walk in with them. They are big, 75 and 95 lbs respectively, and a little dog walk just doesn't do it for them.

When did you go? We're thinking of May and hoping the weather will be good.

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

DCP, we went at the end of June and first of July. The only bad weather we encountered was a very bad thunderstorm one night and wouldn't you know it, the awning was out when it suddenly started and it was being whipped around as the rv rocked. We were both outside trying to get it in and of course, it stuck. We finally got it rolled up after we were drenched. We stayed in Jackson Hole for a few days before going on up to Yellowstone. Our dogs are 7 and 8 lbs. so guess that makes a difference - they don't need much room to walk. I am sure you will get some good leads here, may take a few days though, so just hang in there. There are some people here who can answer any question, but they aren't online every day.

5. DCP

DCP
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Feb 13 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]6096[/snapback]

DCP, we went at the end of June and first of July. The only bad weather we encountered was a very bad thunderstorm one night and wouldn't you know it, the awning was out when it suddenly started and it was being whipped around as the rv rocked. We were both outside trying to get it in and of course, it stuck. We finally got it rolled up after we were drenched. We stayed in Jackson Hole for a few days before going on up to Yellowstone. Our dogs are 7 and 8 lbs. so guess that makes a difference - they don't need much room to walk. I am sure you will get some good leads here, may take a few days though, so just hang in there. There are some people here who can answer any question, but they aren't online every day.