RV Trip Across Canada

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Paxdiver, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Paxdiver

Paxdiver
    Expand Collapse

Hi All, I was hoping someone may have had a trip across Canada from approx. Vancouver to Newfoundland return. Could you share the campsites you stayed at and some of the costs associated with the trip. I am in a 30 ft travel trailer. Thanks!!

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Paxdiver!

We have done a few small trips to canada so I am more of a newbie, most of the stops we did were destination type places, clean/decentally maintained campgrounds with good reviews.

Ontario: https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regi...quin-provincial-park-pog-lake-campground-8200 ( hiking, kayaking, rail trail biking, lots of outdoor stuff, be carefull researching sites as they are on the small side and tough to reserve because of high demand.)

Montreal: https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/quebec/st-mathieu-de-beloeil/camping-alouette-3989
    Great for doing day trips into the city, 2 or 3 days stay should work, beware of heavy commuter traffic

Quebec City: https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/quebec/levis/camping-transit-5936
    2 to 4 days stay works.

PEI: https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regi...sland-national-park/cavendish-campground-7352
    Not sure if this is on your itinerary but this campground so far was a highlight for us, very central to scenic trails, beach, and touristy towns. (we stayed 7 days, was not enough)

As far as costs we always have a yearly camping budget so we charged everything we could, we did convert about $50 to canadian currency but most places took american credit cards

We have members here that have done extensive trips to Canada so hopefully they will post in :cool:

Mike

#2 mdcamping, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi Paxdiver. The wife and I have done three trips across Canada to Newfoundland. It's a long trip and two of ours were over 25,000km ( about 15,000 miles). Bring lots of money for gas!

As far as campgrounds to stay at along the way, we have been at rustic places to all the bells and whistles. Not all of them were what I would call good or excellent due to some were located close to our route and some days that was fine.

Since you are starting out in BC, you can take the Trans Canada or the Crowsnest highways. On the Trans Canada I have stayed at Kamloops RV park in Kamloops. It doesn't have a high rating, but good enough for overnight and it has a neat wildlife park next door. Further along, Campers Haven RV Park in Donald is higher rated and has a great panoramic view of the valley and mountains. On the Crowsnest, there is the Nkmip Campground in Osoyoos (can get crowded in the summer), Kootenay River RV Park in Castlegar (some river sites), and Moyie Lake Provincial Park south of Cranbrook.

In Alberta, we have stayed in Banff National Park at Lake Louise Hard Sided Campground (for RVs and hard sided trailers). Nearby Lake Louise and Moraine Lakes are must sees. We have also stayed at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court in Banff. Tunnel Mountain has a shuttle bus to downtown Banff. Also lots of other sights to see in the area. If you want to visit Calgary, the best place I have stayed at is in Cochrane at Bow RiversEdge Campground. I wouldn't recommend most of the others near Calgary. We have stayed at a couple of so-so places in Medicine Hat; the best place there is the Gas City Campground (reserve early, full when we got there).

In Saskatchewan, we tended to veer off the Trans Canada, so places we stayed at along the TCH were mostly overnighters that weren't always the greatest. Most were okay for overnight if you are quickly passing through. Eagle Valley RV Park in Maple Creek, Prairie Oasis Tourist Complex in Moose Jaw, Kings Acres Campground in Regina, and Indian Head Campground in Indian Head. Moose Jaw has the underground tunnels, Regina has Wascana Park, and Indian Head has a round barn. I would recommend a stop at the village of Wolseley.

In Manitoba, it's usually Brandon or Winnipeg where we end up staying. In Brandon it's Turtle Crossing Campground which is one of the best on the Prairies and in Winnipeg it's the Town & Country Campground, close to the highway and good for an overnight or two. Lots to see in Winnipeg area like Lower Fort Garry, Assiniboine Park, and Royal Canadian Mint. Just off The TCH and east of Winnipeg near the Ontario border is White Hawk Lake and Falcon Lake in Whiteshell Provincial Park. Lots of outdoor activities at both.

Ontario takes three days at least to drive through. We have stayed at Northwestern Tent & RV Park in Dryden a couple of times, good for a night or two. Along Lake Superior there some nice provincial parks at Rainbow Falls and Neys, but our favourite is the Penn Lake Park in Marathon. If you want bells and whistles then stay at the KOA in Sault Ste. Marie. Around Sudbury, the choices are limited. Of the two we stayed at east of town the Mine Mill 598 Campground was better. We enjoyed staying at Sid Turcotte Park in Mattawa. Around Ottawa I've only stayed at Camp Hither Hills. It was better than average. Lots to see and do in the nation's capital.

In La Belle Province, Quebec, we have stayed at Camping Allouette, east of Montreal, Camping Transit, east of Quebec City, but most other places we stayed at in Quebec were off the TCH north towards Labrador or in the Gaspe. Both Montreal and Quebec City are must sees. If you have time, so is the Gaspe. We stayed at Forillon National Park which has several campgrounds.

The Maritimes has so much to see. Our favourites were Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton Island. As far as campgrounds go, a few that come to mind are Stonehurst Golf & Trailer Park in Moncton, New Brunswick, Loc Lomond RV Park in Amherst, Nova Scotia, Cheticamp and Broad Cove Campgrounds in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Arm of Gold Campground & RV Park near Sydney, Nova Scotia (close to the ferry to Newfoundland).

Now Newfoundland is in a league of its own. It is one of the most welcoming provinces in Canada. The people there are great. One reason we went there three times. Some places to see are Gros Morne National Park, Twillingate, Bonavista, Harbour Breton, Cape St Mary's Bird Sanctuary, and of course St. John's and the Avalon Peninsula. Too many others to mention. Our favourite place to stay there was Grand Codroy RV-tent Camping Park in Doyles. Pippy Park Campgrounds and Trail Park in St Johns and Sanger Memorial RV Park in Grand Falls-Windsor were other good ones. Whale watching south of St Johns, Icebergs near Twillingate and St Anthony ( took 3 trips before we saw them), lots of isolated and scenic coves, and so much more.

I haven't said anything about how much time it takes to see the sights because it depends on how much time you have to do it. I can tell you that it takes plenty of trips across Canada to see it all. We averaged around 3 months for each trip, so it did get expensive. The gas alone will cost you over $5000. We have a class C motorhome that gets less than 10mpg and we paid over $7000. With food, lodging, sightseeing, and miscellaneous you could spend over $15,000 on a 3 month journey. You probably could travel to Newfoundland and back in half the time we took, but it would still cost you over $10,000. Best thing to do is start planning now. Check out the campground reviews on this website, figure out your route, number of days on the road, maintenance enroute (I did 4 oil changes on one trip), and a budget. Good luck!

4. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

I would have to agree with onemoretrail on his suggestions for western Canada but would have to add Kelowna to that list. There are many nearby wineries to tour not to mention a day at the beach on Lake Okanogan. We stayed at Orchard Hill RV Park, there are only 9 sites so booking early is a must. In Revelstoke BC we always stay at Williamson Lake Campground. Full hookups, showers, laundry, free wifi and a beach. Again booking early is a must.

South of Maple Creek Saskatchewan is Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park which we highly recommend. Sites are basic to full hookups, most sites are in the Lodge Pole Pine forest. Plenty to see and do here. If you are looking for a quick one night stopover the town of Whitewood has a full hookup campground, free showers and firewood and a restaurant/takeout across the street.

East of the Manitoba/Ontario border is Anicinabe Park in Kenora. Nice place to kick back and rest for a few days before heading on the long drive across Ontario.

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  5. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Fun finders adds some good suggestions. We have stayed at Williamson Lake Campground, Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park and Anicinabe Park. All good choices.
    Remember that if you haven't driven on a long trip such as across Canada, you should pace yourself and make sure you spend a couple of nights at some stops along the way. Ideally that would be at locations where there are attractions to visit or just to rest.
    The route I used was the quickest across Canada. You might want to veer off the main track and visit some other attractions. Niagara Falls, Halifax, Prince Edward Island, Louisbourg come to mind.

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  6. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Paxdiver, has the information provided by other members helped you with your trip plans?